PS4 User crawling out the woodwork with my G4. Next Move ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cox'sPippin, May 4, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Just joined so Hi to all you Mac/Tech/Designer Guru's ;-)

So much to consider. Here is my situation, don't laugh, Oh go on then.

Current Hardware;

Hardware 14' iBook G4 (2004)
    Processor 1.33 Ghz PowerPC
    Memory 256 MB Built-in
    OSX 10.4.11
    Most used CS4
    -----------------------------------------------------

Camera: Canon 550D/T2i
    Printer/Scanner/Copier: Canon MG5150
    -----------------------------------------------------

Here is my quandary

My Hardware feels like it is now living in a Retirement Home trying to dance like an 18 year old, falling and hoping it can get back up without anyone noticing. The processor is having hot flushes every day. What is new is the camera & printer. I am not concerned about staying on the bleeding edge as you can see I am happy as a clot, evident by my dinosaur set up. Other than itunes/surfing/Facebook/youtube. My main usage is promoting myself as an Artist on (free websites). The most critically important usage will be the CS4, mostly Photoshop. Because my G4 is maxed out, I've tried stripping it down form the bloating yet CS4 is running like it's using a zimmer/walking aid frame. I am not sure what to purge that isn't mission critical to regain some RAM.

I recently invested in the Canon camera 550D/T2i to make RAW files of my art and prep them in PS4 for print ready for poster/printed canvas for orders up to A1 in size, to offset the lack of original art sales. Although the DNG Convertor 6.3 software converts the T2i RAW files for PS4 to use on OS X 10.4.11 as I downloaded today, It's not going to work well with my Vintage Mac living above it's weight in a virtual Retirement Home.

Adobe and Apple looove your credit card umbilically attached to 'them' by the frustrsting and historical upgrade options for serious users. Like people that have had to offload PPC systems for Intel to keep up with the knife. I understand the 2011 systems are very quick with Intel quad processors and Sandy Bridge CPU over the 2010. I am not tech savvy so I don't understand all that is important to have for my needs. Like how important is the size of the ATI HD or Graphic Mb cards etc. The configurations make me dizzy. So if someone could help simplify this for this G4 survivor. I will adore you ;-)

1 Will I lose all my OSX 10.4.11 Adobe Software by choosing Intel base and upgradings OSX ?
    2 I am not a gamer, so I don't need to over spend on unnecessary power, although I will be working large RAW photo files and want years of file saving capacity. I do like to create/design with Photoshop too and intend to tread the waters as an PS illustrator.
    3 My budget is £1,000 ata max push would prefer to stay around £500/700. weather new, used, or refurb. So after extensive research I first thought yep Powerbook Pro, then read more and thought yep iMac with the 27'screen. Then read more and thought nope Mac mini with an LED Samsung monitor. Now I just want to suck my thumb and mumble. HELP !!!
    4 Have I missed something and have I made sense ? lol

Regards and thanks in advance for any input to guide this weary G4 Processor. UK based.

----------

Oh I might add I would be downloading 'Genuine Fractals' for enlarging files to print ready. I also would consider upgrading to CS5 if it came bundled with used/new/refurb Hardware. Cheers

2. macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I would definitely recommend buying refurb based on your budget. You may have a hard time getting a 27" but a even a 21.5" with the quad core i5 will be leaps and better than what you have now. You will probably lose your current software because its formatted for PowerPC and is not going to be compatible with an intel machine. I could be wrong but that is my understanding of the software situation.

3. macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

;) I like your poetic description. It describes me up 'til last summer,
    prepping book illustrations for 2 projects on a PPC G5 iMac using CS2 (go on, laugh :)), then I bought a 21.5" iMac with Snow Leopard --which thank heavens, runs CS2, phew, lucky me! (I still love my G5 though.)

So resoundingly YES, CS4 will run on an Intel Mac, and it will run on Lion. Currently I'm dual booting Snow Leopard & Lion (No CS2 on that for sure though). --Getting a refurb Mini or iMac will blow your socks off.

My G5 iMac had a 17" screen, it was amazing going to 21.5, although it feels a bit cramped now. I have another 22" monitor I could hook up if it bugged me enough. So you'll also have much better options than you have now regarding displays.

Best of luck whatever decision you make.

4. macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, while CS4 will run on Intel macs, his copy of it probably won't - the one specifically designed for PowerPC.

I know they took out PowerPC support in Lion (Or was it SnowLeopard?). What I think that means is that for any OS later than that, it won't run any PowerPC software. Now, if you find a Mac with Leopard on it, it may run your PowerPC-specific copy, not sure though.

You may have to buy a completely new set of software. I think they took out PowerPC support

5. macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

CS2 from back in the PPC days does run on my Snow Leopard partition albeit in 32 bit mode. So you're right, I forgot about Lion being 64-bit exclusively.

When Lion came out there were several articles on the Web as to whether CS4 would work or not, the consensus was mostly yes.

Here are a couple links:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191317

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3189948?start=0&tstart=0

If there are PS droplets critical to the OP's workflow, I guess partitioning the hard drive and dual-booting Snow Leopard would help that.

6. macrumors member

CS4 worked on my Lion machines

I upgraded both my old early 2008 C2D MBP to Lion as well as my early 2011 MBP. Both ran CS4, though I believe there were some minor glitches. I've upgraded to CS5.5 since, so I don't remember the details.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks donklaus, Medic278, Fireshot91 and CrickettGrrl

The poetic is the artist in me. OR as my partner would say 'I'm such an Artist'. Refurb or a steal 'Used' for the iMac. For the Mac mini I would buy new, as the newer generation are way better. The problem with the mini is getting a color correct monitor avoiding the cost of the Thunderbolt monitor. From what I have read so far the LED screens are not true color for someone doing serious PS work to print. The monitors with good enough quality cost more than the mini. Not concerned about the keypad and mouse I could go 3rd Party.

Then the issue with software compatability thanks for the input on that. I just passed up a 2010 27' imac on ebay with the option of CS5 thrown in but only backed up with a crack.zip file. It was over budget ;-(. Although my faithful G4 is nearing retirement it can have a memory upgrade which might give it some extra speed with an Occupational Therapist. Will keep educating myself on the options ;-)