pseudobrit is banned?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jun 7, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oy ve! i guess it was the aclu thread.

damn. i hope it's temporary.

from another thread, i saw that ~Shard~ and Lacero were, as well, but i've no idea in which thread their trangressions took place.

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You could look up their recent posts, just as I did with pseudo. All I came up with on him is the ACLU thread, in which it seemed several posters were misbehaving, but not outrageously, and nobody else was banned.

Would the mods care to explain this situation?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Lemme take a shot in the dark:

The forum FAQs say that banning (other than outright spamming or trolling) is preceded by PM from the mods. If we assume that was the case, then the circumstances of that conversation would presumably have supported whatever action was taken. And I would not expect the mods to make public that private conversation, so...

Banning happens, my experience thus far is that the mods are neither unreasonable or draconian.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We haven't had a banning in this forum since the rules were changed to prevent newbies from posting here (which was an open invitation to outside trolling and routinely abused). I can't recall the last time a regular was booted and most of those who were practically begged for it.

I've supported the mods in their decisions most of the time, but on its face at least this seems to be an unusual action. So I'm asking.

FWIW, Lacero is banned but ~Shard~ is not.

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

It's often a cumulative effect, and whilst I'm not going to comment on an individual case, it's fair to say pseudobrit wasn't banned specifically for that thread alone.

Regulars who get banned usually have history, but you won't get any details from the mods.

I'm replying here specifically to IJ Reilly's query.

Pseudobrit will be back soon enough.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So do you send a PM to the member first as a warning, and then ban him if he doesn't listen to that warning?

No warning would be harsh.

And I liked Lacero and Pseudobrit

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Why would Shard have been banned? :confused:

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As WinterMute said, reasons for bans or "time outs" are between the moderating team and those involved.

No one is banned for no reason, or without warning. Those members that have been mentioned will be back.

10. Zaid macrumors 6502

Maybe we should throw them a "Welcome Back" thread :) Sort of like when a mate comes of out jail :)

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Should we give them $20 and a new suit?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Cantor: The Mods have spoken.

Response: All hail the Mods.

Cantor: Go in peace my children.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

good to know, thanks.

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Amen.

The last time the mods called a "time out" on a poster, which was quite a while ago, some mention was made -- not necessarily of the specific cause or causes, but at least of the fact that the member would be allowed to come back after a prescribed period of time.

I think that would be a good policy to continue, especially considering that this board is frequented by a relatively small number of regulars, so it is unnerving to see one slam-dunked for no apparent reason.

BTW, as nearly as I can tell ~Shard~ was never banned. Somebody else said he was, but he wasn't when I checked.

15. mac-er macrumors 65816

I read that too fast, and I thought it said s*ut.

LOL

16. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

generally speaking long-time members will be given a "timeout" as opposed to a permanent ban. That is, unless the line has been crossed by a mile.

We do discuss things before they happen with long-term folk. n00bs just get blasted ;)

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

He may well have been for a day or two, we can ban a member for any length of time, but usually a day or so, a week or a permanent ban is instituted.

As edesignuk said, no one get banned for no reason or without warning.

[edit]

Coo, a regular mod-fest going on in here.... Who else fancies a holiday from MR?? :D

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm long overdue i'd say

19. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just for the record, I didn't say it was for no reason, just no apparent reason. It's good to know that board veterans won't get their heads handed to them merely for having a bad day.

I've scouted out some of the many Mactel threads that sprouted up this week, and some of them got pretty hot. Made the Politics boards seem downright calm by comparison. In one of the few I elected to participate in, I was sideswiped pretty good for making what I thought was an entirely noncontroversial observation. I'm sure this week presented quite a challenge to the moderators.

So let me be clear: I think the mods do a really good job of keeping order in this inherently disorderly place. Sometimes the policies could be a bit clearer, is all.

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I'll second that last and add the following:

If us veterans got our asses handed to us any time we took someone off at the shoulders I'd have dissappeared LONG ago. Granted, I've cooled off considerably in the last couple of years (I even reported myself the last time I just couldn't help myself).

However, I think the Mods express some latitude for us old timers simply because such outbursts are rarely routine and are often used in a last resort when either another veteran is being verbally pummelled or when the Troll Bazooka has to come out of it's case.... :cool: ;) :D

As in:

" I really did try to reason with him but then he started picking on IJ's Momma... So I did a Sam Kinisson on him."

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

this just made me smile. :)

By the way, when did mudbug become a "God"? Didn't he used to be an "editor" or something? I thought Arn was the only "God"... or what have I missed lately? :confused:

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wow, this is interesting, I have allways thought the Mods leaned to their politics, and biases........Im still wondering why iam carring this red dot around :confused: Im sure it was political or said something antiMac. :rolleyes:

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What red dot?
    :confused:

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You dont see my Red Dot? yours is Green so i guess you can go :D but i must stop? :cool: