PSone Ends 11 Year Lifecyle

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Only because people in several other threads said I was crazy in that modern console manufacturers look at the big-picture, long term lifecycle of thier products -- specifically Sony consoles having a 10 year lifecycle -- Sony has now offiically discontinued the PSone after 11 years.

(Source)

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My original PlayStation, which was purchased on launch day, was moved into my daughter's bedroom when I picked up the PS2 (again on LD). It is still running fine.
    Ahhh. Wipeout, Warhawk, Destruction Derby 2, BA Toshinden...good times. [/nostalgic trip]

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Jesus !!! :eek: your's lasted a long time. I too bought it on UK launch (oct 2005 with my student grant :p ) and missed lectures for about 5 weeks :)

They had to stop making it really, shops can only carry So much inventory..

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I think, although I'm not sure, this may be because of a supposed patent infringement by Sony that's causing them to stop PS2 production (twas on digg a few days ago)

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, Nintendo just started making the N64 again last year, in Chine. They call it the iQue or something like that and it's got the system in a large Dreamcast looking controller. I remember something about it using memory cards that you took to shops and plugged into kiosks to buy games which then downloaded to your card.

So, ya, these machines are definately not throw-away designs. Except the Xbox 1, I don't think we will see much of that in a few years.

I'm hoping Nintendo's next GameBoy is a portable GameCube, though. :)

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_iQue

I thought it was a Chinese DS but I was wrong. :D

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

9. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Good thing too. I have a PS One in my closet and it's going to be staying there forever!

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

PS1. I'd stick that alongside the Mega Drive and Snes if not for the loading times. Good system it was. Had a real magic element to it.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Much respect goes out to the PS1....longed lived

Bless

12. ethen macrumors regular

my fav console of all time, i came from nes superdrive (the one using floppy) to ps1 and boy it was like xmass everyday to me :p

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Hail, PSone, thou were a great one.

I have some great memories due to that console. Resident Evil - the first time a video game ever scared the absolute bejeezus out of me. I'll never forget the way I felt during those first zombie CM scenes!

Metal gear Solid. The first game to ever completely blow my mind.

Twisted Metal 2, Ace Combat were some of my other favs.

14. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Wip3out trilogy, Warhawk, destruction derby, Soul Reaver, the doom games, Tomb raider...

Sh*t here come the tears to my eyes...! :eek: :eek:

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Meh, all this talk about the PS1 being so great kinda baffles me. I mean it was OK, but I really thought it was a trash system that got lucky with a handful of good games. Certainly nothing compared to the number of amazing classic SNES games.

Sure, there were some stand out games; Driver, Gran Turismo, FF VII, Bushido Blade (not that popular, but I thought it was a definite classic just for being different from the other fighters out at the time)... there are some others that were great I admit, but...

Well, it seems like there was just no focus with the PS1 (or PS2 for that matter). Games were just all over the place in terms of quality, and it sort of, to me, marked the beginning of the end for an era of amazing gaming. I think it's because it was the first successful console where there wasn't a 1st party game lineup.

All in all, I give the PS1 a resounding 'meh'. Maybe I'm biased from having to watch my retarded first semester of college roommate play Madden all fracking day long (and getting kicked out of school with a .5 GPA :p). I owned a PS1 for like a month, and had a few roommates with one and feel like I've played pretty much everything it had to offer. I spent years with a SNES and there are STILL games I am looking forward to trying out for the first time with the Rev Virtual Console.

Oh, and the PS1 controller was complete trash. It didn't improve upon it's predecessor (the SNES controller) at all, and was completely out classed by the N64 controller. I mean, 4 buttons for a D-Pad? Give me a break!

God, I'm turning into a Nintendo fanboy in my old age.

16. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

prolly a 100 million PS and 100 Million PS2 users would object to it but shrugs, rants of a grumpy man.

Ive had ever PlayStation unit on launch date and I love them. My PS gave m such good games and the PS2 just build on it. Such fond memories I have of getting buddied together and playing them. Ahhh, PS3, Here I come

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm with you there too and I've bought to playstations, the original and the "PSone" model.

All in all there were some great games, but it just never matched the SNES for me, not even close. There were so many crap games on the system it was hard to find the worthwhile games.

And the controller... man... I started to like it after several years but honestly, do people not remember 3D games without the dual shock? ugh.

I was a big fan of Tenchu and Xenogears, and I loved Tekken 3. There wasn't a whole lot of other games I cared for. FF7 was a highlight for many people but I thought FF5 & 6, even Chrono Trigger, were better games... FF7 & 8 never felt like they belonged in the series to me.

All in all the few games I really like on the PS1 I think would have ended up playing better on the N64, even excluding the video (anime cutscenes in Xenogears, etc.)

18. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I disagree. I think there are at least as many great games on the PS than the SNES but that the PS had the bad luck to come out at the time when EA and similar companies were perfecting the art of creating smash hits through advertisement alone and reselling the same game, year in year out. So the big titles associated with the PS are inferior to the big titles associated with the SNES but that's primarily because the market had gone another way.

Sony were also lucky that both Sega and Nintendo were going through a lull. The Saturn was reputedly a pig to program and Nintendo lost a lot of credibility by claiming that the SNES was faster than the PlayStation and particularly by pushing rubbish like Killer Instinct. If the best Nintendo could do was to produce derivative extensions of tired game genres then they would almost certainly be dead by now - so why pretend Killer Instinct was in some way the game to end all games?
    But its also a little about surrendering control and about market dynamics. Prior to their American DOJ settlement, Nintendo stiffled the market and restricted innovation with its third party developer contracts. In order to get third party support for a new console and a new company in the market, Sony probably had to offer a low interference and comparatively hassle free route for developers. Without this approach, they possibly wouldn't have been able to generate enough third party interest to survive.
    It wasn't four buttons - the plastic joins underneath. I found it preferable for games that mostly only involve a 1d input from the pad (e.g. driving, scrolling shooter, 2d platforming) even if uncomfortable for "combo" heavy games.
    Nintendo do make some very good games!

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I sorta agree. I liked the PS1, I don't know how or why. But in it's infancy (much like every other console with something new and 'revolutionary') it had these new kind of games. Wipeout gave a glimpse of what F-Zero might be if it was 3D, though we were a little bit out (no weapons). what made the PS1 great was the CD system. take that out and it's nothing. another average system. but developers made good use of CD's for the first time in a console. and it was good.

Very agree. Though I think this was more apparent with the PS2. It did feel like the whore of the consoles. Every game, every genre, not as good as it could be. I'm talking about the majority of course there are exceptions. but if I go into Game and look at the PS2 shelves. all I see is junk, junk and more junk. Until you hit Shadow of the Colossus or the FF7 in the second hand bin.
    1st party has always been important to me. MS game studios and Nintendo always know how far they can push their hardware. I'm a fan of optimisation.

off topic but yea, I never played some Snes gems. They're just waiting for me on the Rev :)

I never found the PS1 controller to be conformable. or the PS2 controller. They were better for games like Tony Hawk I find. Quick d-pad, 4 quick buttons. all quick! I just couldn't play it for more than 10 minutes without a pain or 2.

I think it's just what we grew up with. I like Nintendo, but bloomin love Amiga. Wanna talk about life cycle? How about a console/computer developed in 1989 that had a talking OS, art programs galore, could do low-level video editing and music production (they added special effects on some Harry Potter film with an Amiga) but that was so cheap pretty much my whole street had one. :D

20. ethen macrumors regular

remember the first cool nintendo where it have 30in1 games, and uses cartridge where we need to blow for it to be read by the system? :p i do miss those days with games like donkey kong and duck shooter :p

21. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Not only did I not like the buttons on the controller, but it hurt my hands to play for more than a few hours. The PS2 controller, which is basically the same plus the analog sticks, is the same.

I actually never played past the first (of what, 4?) discs of FF7. Couldn't get into it. Not a big FF fan, personally. There was one on SNES that I enjoyed, but I usually found them ... lacking somehow. I had to list FF7 in my little PS game list, just to recognize the fact that it was so popular.

22. ethen macrumors regular

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Uh, PS1 games didn't rock. There, I said it.

24. ethen macrumors regular

heheh hater :p i jump from nes to PS1 and i was really impressed at that time, still in high school :p

25. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

How could I forget Gran Turismo? Driver was incredibly fun. I'm embarassed to say I've still yet to play FF VII. :eek:

Ahh, good times.