PSone?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm heavily considering getting a PSone, or maybe even a PStwo. there are some classic PS games that i really have to play again, Advent Children has made me want to play FF7 once more... and of course games like Tekken 2, MGS 1, etc. i just want one :) my brother has a PSX but its decrepid and has a Rayman 2 skin :p and of course that boot up sound is just uber nostalgia.

Thought about maybe getting a PStwo, but all the good PS2 games got ported to Xbox (namely MGS2 and GTA). and its pretty damn expensive. £100 is the running price seemingly.

so any advice on which to get? any plans to drop the price of the PStwo anytime soon? looking for UK shops only, need some good deals :)
    because games are so rare now im thinking about chipping too. if you can chip the PSone! or the PStwo to play 1 games. if that makes any sense.

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

With the PS3 right around the corner, PS2s should drop if they haven't already. However, you are probably very limited on the amount of time you have to buy a new one.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The PS2 already plays PS1 games, try to get an old one and put an HDD in it (it means that games load faster and you don't have to be disk swapping) and unless you have a very steady hand, don't chip it (the solderpoints are tiny)

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what about pcsx on your pc? (playstation emulator) you can get it and a usb gamepad for prolly a lot less than a ps1/ps2

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Think i might buy my mates PS2, he only bought it because it was platinum and went with his TV nicely!

im still torn though. should i opt for the simple but effective PS1 with its old-skool-ness (and rather simple mod-chip ability :D) or pay more for a PS2 that its only extra is the ability to play games i'm not sure i'll like.

can a plain old PS2 play copied PS1 games? *im actually guessing no here

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Get the slim line PS2 it does progressive scan using component video, the old fat PS2 can't do this.

7. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Damn, too bad you are in the UK. I have a PSone with all of the boxes and cables.

8. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

But Sony just had a HUGE recall for them. They melt. Besides, only a handful of games use the progressive scan feature.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

i dont think my TV has progressive scan. i know nothing about that side of things.

probably going to get a PSone, maybe PSX if i really wanna go old-skool. maybe just clean off my brothers PSX. just that with this big list of DS games coming out and the Rev next year i dont want to be spending too much on an old machine.
    although the only place selling PSones are Amazons Marketplace thing. £9 is cheap. but whats the quality going to be like!

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

mmm nothing like a bit of FUD. Sony just recalled SOME of the slim line PS2s AC adapters.