PSP 2.0 firmware and Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Games' started by SilentPanda, Aug 24, 2005.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you have a PSP and have installed the 2.0 firmware it seems you can only connect to your wireless base station using WPA with the 5.5.1 Airport Extreme firmware. Just a heads up. I would guess that the next firmware release might fix this but for now, this should work. If you can get it working otherwise I'd be surprised but more power to you. :)

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportextremefirmware551formacosx.html

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

well mine works fine ??

3. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

In that case I would encourage you to keep using it as is.

I know many many people were searching for this answer on various forums I visited when researching the problem. This was the solution that I found and most people had used successfully.

People using the newest firmware for Airport Extreme and WPA were having issues. This seemed to solve it. If yours is not being problematic I'd be surprised if you were using both the newest firmware and WPA but if you are and it work, congratulations. Keep things as they are.

4. darden@ntlworld macrumors newbie

Thanks SilentPanda!

I was having no end of problems with my sons new PSP with version 5.6 of the firmware and WPA enabled. Dropped the firmware down to 5.5.1 and hey presto!

5. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Add another thanks for SilentPanda :D

It was taking me forever to find out what was wrong, but this fixed it. Hopefully the next firmware update will solve this problem.

6. lombax macrumors newbie

Bug reports?

Thanks for the workaround, SilentPanda! :D

I've filed a bug report via Apple's Developer Connection to make sure they're aware of this. (although it may not actually be Apple's fault, of course!)

Does anybody know the best way to pass this information on to Sony so that they can look at it, too?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think it's a problem with the PSP to be honest. I could not get mine to connect to a 3Com access point using WPA.

8. belvdr macrumors 601

The Linksys WRT54G using WPA works with my PSP. If a specific AP firmware works and another doesn't, that makes me point to the AP.

9. lombax macrumors newbie

Sony have just released firmware version 2.50 for the PSP, which includes some wireless networking changes, so I thought it'd be worth checking against version 5.6 of the Airport base station.

And it works! :cool: Guess it was Sony's fault all along. :rolleyes:

This is what I got to connect:

Set the PSP to use WPA (TKIP), and make sure your password is 13 characters long. Apparently this is important if you want to allow non-Apple devices to connect to the AirPort base station. Finally, make sure your base station "Encryption type" is set to "WPA only" or "WPA and WPA2" (click the "Change Wireless Security..." button).

Good luck!