PSP 2.0 (Japanese) + WPA + AEBS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gsnyder, Aug 5, 2005.

1. gsnyder macrumors newbie

I updated to 2.0 (before Sony was kind enough to send out the disclaimer about not updating :p), and had no problems connecting to my unsecured Airport. However, once I set up my WPA security on the network, I can't seem to get connected with the PSP. All I get is a timeout on 'Exchanging Key Information'. It seems to find the network fine, but doesn't want to shake hands with the WPA key.

Some information about my setup:

1 x Airport Extreme Base Station
    -Running the latest firmware and management software.
    -Set up for WPA only (not WPA2 or the combination setup).
    -Set up for Wireless B/G connections.
    -1 Mac, 1 PC, and 1 PC Laptop connected and working flawlessly.

2 x Airport Express nodes
    -Using WDS to extend the range of the home network.
    -Airtunes enabled.
    -Game consoles hooked up to Ethernet port for online gaming.

1 x PSP
    -Using Japanese 2.0 firmware
    -Has been able to connect without security enabled
    -Triple-checked that the WPA key was entered in plain english, case-correct, as supplied by the password tab of the AEBS management software.

Has anyone else run into this or am I screaming at a brick wall here. Hopefully I didn't bork the online support for this until the next firmware revision.

Thanks in advance,
    -Gary

2. Vster macrumors 6502

I don't know if this will help, but I was also having the same problem until I made my WEP 13 characters long. Good luck. :)

3. Switzermac macrumors regular

4. gsnyder thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so is WPA for 2.0 just broken? Because the options are there, and it's listed as one of the major features.

Or is this something that is supposed to be fixed in the 2.0 version for North America? It just sucks that they say 'Hey look! WPA Support!' And then...it doesn't work :p

Ah well. Thanks,

-Gary

5. gsnyder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Vster. But WEP and WPA are different types of encryption. I'll try a 13-character code for WPA, but I have doubts that that's the problem.

6. gsnyder thread starter macrumors newbie

For anyone who still cares, got the problem fixed.

Problem was the AEBS Firmware. Downgrading to 5.5.1 fixed the issue, once I reset the defaults and re-created my connection settings.

WPA on PSP 2.0 is not broken...but Apple's 5.6 Firmware is. Going to tunnel some MP games now.

-G

7. kray17 macrumors newbie

i am having the same problem with an Airport Express, you think it's the latest firmware on that too? Airport Express is on v6.2