PSP and Best Buy warranty

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jun 7, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Last year, my brother bought a PSP and the warranty/replacement plan from Worst Buy.

Yesterday, he turned on his PSP and his screen was cracked and unusable. But, the night before, he played it, turned it off and set it on his shelf, and it worked fine. We took it to BB today, and they refused to honor their warranty because it was accidental damage. The thing is, he did NO damage to it, none whatsoever. There are no signs of physical damage anywhere. And anyone who owns a PSP knows, that the outer casing over the screen is as hard as a rock, and if anything was to fall onto it, it would have to have cracked or leave at least a mark on the casing to get to the screen and damage it. The PSP looks mint though, like it just came out of the factory. No damage. It didn't fall, nothing fell on top of it. The jerkoff at Best Buy said it looked like pressure was put on the screen, but there would have to be damage on the casing for that to be true.

Can an LCD crack on it's own? Doesn't Best Buy have to cover it if there are no signs of physical damage? Thanks

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Was it next to a lot of heat? that sounds strange....sounds like someone might of done something whiles he was sleeping...but who knows.

Bless

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Nope, it sure wasn't. If it was, that shouldn't matter because the Best Buy warranty covers damage from heat and humidity.

4. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

with a crack in the screen, i doubt anyone at bestbuy is going to believe you. this is probably going to be one of those things that your going to have to talk to someone at their corporate office or anything higher up and bitch for days till they do anything.

5. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, something happened to that screen. LCD's dont just crack.

Heres how it works @ BB. Just bitch till they do something about it. Also, try going to another store too

6. kahos macrumors member

If you insist, you maybe lucky and get another

At worse, since the psp looks mint physically and they dont want to take it back because the lcd is cracked, open it and screw something inside so it doesnt turn on anymore, this way they will have to take it back and wont be able to notice the screen is damaged.

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

In my opinion Best Buy should not have to honor the warranty. Cracked screens are not considered a manufacturer defect.

If you think you (or your brother) is getting screwed then I'm sure you will be able to rationalize screwing them. Buy a new PSP, put the old one in the box, return it.

And perhaps he should keep his next psp in a case, leaving expensive equipment around unprotected is not very smart. That is how lcd's get cracked.

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

His was in a case.

BTW, we thought about that, but the PSP's serial number and the one on the box wouldn't match.