PSP and Movies

Discussion in 'Games' started by RMD68, Mar 17, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

I recently was able to purchase a large (4.0 GB) memory card for my PSP. I wanted to be able to use some of the card for movies. The UMD movies are way too exspensive and the selection is limited. In many situations it is cheaper just to buy a regular DVD or even a blu-ray disc over getting a UMD. The problem is that I bought my PSP back in december and it has near to the latest firmware. I belive its 2.5 which is too late a firmware to run existing homebrew. As a result of this I dont think I would be able to run movies off my memory card. The only way that would be possible to watch movies would be via UMD but that doesnt seem like a good route. I was wondering if there was anyway to watch movies/video clips off the PSP memory card with out having to run some sort of homebrew? Thanks in advance.

2. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

yes, but its late.....so i'll come back later and post some info
    (unless someone else beats me too it)

3. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks! Also is it possible to run any "roms" or things of that nature on a more recent firmware like mine without being able to run any hombrew? If both movies and games are possible on my PSP where is a good place to get good files for it? Again, thanks in advance.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

5. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

For VIDEO on PSP you do not need anything special......
    Except a video and a video transcoder(if the source video is not compatible with PSP's supported codecs).

PSP Media Manager - Official Sony Software, Windows

iPSP - MAC
    PSPWare - MAC
    PSPVC - Linux (ffmpeg)
    PSPVideo9 -Windows
    ImToo - Windows

Most of these you can get for free. The Official software is like $20, and there are videos on how to convert files to make them PSP compatible. Just visit THIS link and start watching.

Emulators and ROMS do require particular firmware versions, but most are "downgradable."

6. RMD68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input everyone. I understand now about the Video but I also wanted to be able to run some homebrew specifically for roms. Unfortunately, I bought my PSP at Christmas of '06 and it has firmware version 2.81 (I didn't want to risk any shady deals getting an older one on eBay). It appears that there aren't any downgraders, or e-loaders etc. yet for my firmware. Am I missing something or will I just have to wait till 2.81 is finally hacked?

7. RamenBooko macrumors member