PSP and the Macintosh

Discussion in 'Games' started by RobotCaptain, Apr 17, 2006.

1. RobotCaptain macrumors newbie

RobotCaptain

Hello.

I have been spending an inordinate amount of time lately thinking about the Sony PSP, after having the opportunity to play one last Sunday.

I think I want to buy one.

I would mostly use it to play games, but I would like to copy some videos onto it as well. Does anybody here have a PSP, and if so, is there any good software for Mac OSX that can be used to transfer videos into the correct aspect ratio for the PSP?

Also, is it a pain to use the PSP for music?

Any other stuff I should know? Should I just buy an iPod 5G for video and music and forget about the PSP and its games?

Thanks.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Theres PSPwear(or something like that) that will work great with your mac. Music is a snap with it. It is up to you to decide if you want music or music/games...its up to you.

Bless

3. turbopants macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. It's now $199 by itself, so I'm gonna pick one up soon.

Here's a link to from dvd to psp. There's also link to PSPWare on that page as well.

4. RobotCaptain thread starter macrumors newbie

RobotCaptain

Thanks for the info!

PSPWare looks like a pretty nice app; one question though: Will it work with songs I bought from the iTunes music store? I was under the impression that they could only be played on an iPod.

*Edit*
    Nevermind, I found the answer.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

those songs are protected....you will have to burn them to CD then upload them to the PSP....i've never done it.

Bless

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I have PoorImpulseCNTL™.
    Just bought one for $199 and I'mplaying with it now.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

And what games did you buy for your new toy? I have way too many games for mine.:D

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You should sell me some. I only bought "Untold Legends - Brotherhood of the Blade", which I've yet to play.

Right now I'm working on 1) getting music onto it and listening to the quality, and 2) ripping some pre-ripped DVDs to put on there.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

What size card did you get, 2GB? Or did you go all out and get the mondo "extended battery with 4GB drive" that's out there?

Movies and music on PSP...meh, I got over it quickly
    Photo viewing...nice, use more than I expected to
    Games...awesome
    Web surfing...really cool

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I got the 1GB card. Couldn't justify the price of the 2GB card.

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I did the same, but at least you can squeeze 2 movies on it. Tough to justify spending a whole lot on extra's for a $200 handheld "toy."
    PSPware is a decent little app for managing your photo's, music, and movies. Worth the $15 to actually buy it, too.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

good games to get: Lumines, SOCOM(with headset) SF: dark mirror, daxter, wipeout pure and tokobot.

Get SOCOM or SF so i can wipe the floor with u:)

Bless

13. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Yeah, PSP is awesome.
    I have short video clips on it, about 30 good songs, and a year or two of foxtrot cartoons.

Then I have good games
    a few: SOCOM, Burnout Legends, and Me and My Katarmari
    one I don't have, but have played: GTA

14. bluedevil14 macrumors regular

bluedevil14

gta is amazing

15. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Yes the PSP rocks. I use PSPWare only to encode my video files to MP4 and then put them manually into the correct folder on the PSP. You don't even have to buy PSPWare to let it encode video ( I think 3 at a time is the max).
    I can't wait for the EyeToy and GPS to come out for it. Def. get GTA if you want homebrew.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well I encoded Hard Boiled while I was at home, but it's too large for the 1GB stick.

I let myself be nickel and dimed today for games and accessories:

MOvies: Office Space

Games: Crash Rag Team Racing (LOVED this game on PS), MediEvil Resurrection (Loved this game on PS), SSX On Tour, Dead To Rights Reckoning, Coded Arms, and LotR Tactics.

That should keep me busy for a little while. I wonder if I can ride the riding lawnmower and play PSP? <ponder>

17. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I picked up a 2GB card on eBay for 80 bucks. I have the link to the guy's store that sells them if you are interested.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That'd be great!

19. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

PSP is cool, but the DS lite stole my heart...now if only they could get the play-yan over here with some decent software and at an affordable price.

~$130 DS Lite + $99 Play-Yan = too expensive

I'm waiting for Rev. B of the PSP to bite.

20. turbodub macrumors regular

I had a PSP for a while, but I eventually got rid of it. I used for music once when I was in a bind (no iPod) and it worked okay, but it's pretty clear that a dedicated music player would be better.

The screen on the PSP is awesome though, and watching movies would be pretty cool (I never tried it though).

I sold my PSP because at the time (december 2005) there just weren't any games on it that really peaked my interest. I now have a DS Lite, which I'm loving right now. I know lots of people that love their PSP's though.

21. AlmightyG5 macrumors 6502

Fake!

Those 2 gb ebay cards are fake....but i guess they work.
    -Fake cards from ebay!

22. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Blimey i'm impressed - it took until post #20 for someone to mention the DS. :rolleyes:

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I watched/listened to Office Space yesterday while I was sitting in my shed putting together a ramp. It made the mind numbing task of attaching 40 crossbars with 80 bolts and 80 nuts much more enjoyable.

[​IMG]

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yellow how are you liking coded arms? i like it even though the controls are sticky.

Bless