PSP Breaks UK Sales Records

Discussion in 'Games' started by robbieduncan, Sep 6, 2005.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

BBC Story

I thought this would make an interesting counter thread to the "Who is buying a PSP one". I bought one and it looks like I was not alone!

After a few days I have to say I am very impressed with it. :D

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

that is pretty crazy! in the DS's launch week everyone here and their neighbor got one, yet nobody i know (apart from the jap import) has a PSP just now. this is people from my university, people i see out and about, local mates, real neighbors lol

oh well. looks like a total flip of what happened in Japan where the DS was easily outselling the PSP in its own launch week. IIRC.

madness all over!

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm glad you like it. I imported mine from Japan when they were first released, even now I'm still amazed by it. I find myself using it more than my PS2. Nothing like gaming at work. My manager has a Japanese import too, we have some good wireless gaming sessions on the sly. :)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hah! that reminds me of what me and my girlfriend used to do. way back before DS's and PSP's we had a GBA wireless pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen battle (theres no rush, perfect for sneaky gaming ;)), then we went into the games wireless Union Room only to find a couple of my tutors in there!

5. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

How long does the battery last? Can you use it while you're charging?

6. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I am glad it is doing well in the UK, since it didn't really take off in the US. I still find it to be a great device and use it a lot, just wish it had some more games, but a lot are coming.

7. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It depends what you are using it for and whether wireless is in use or not. I seem to get around 3 hours of wireless ridge racer (which seems to be pretty hard on the battery). I've been told you can get 10 hours (maybe more) if you are listening to music off the memory stick.

You can use it whilst it's charging.

8. Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    Sorry - but the PSP is way over-priced and not practical. My money was better spent on the Nintendo DS.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

im curious to see how its doing in mainland Europe. outside of Germany and the northern countries games machines dont really sell much. i couldn't find a game shop in Paris for the life of me! and there was only 1 shop in Benidorm (which is a large city, btw).
    me and my girlfriend were on Pictochat on our DS's and got a huge crowd of kids watching what we were doing. like we were gods with future tech or something.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually even the german market isn't all that good for portable/console gaming since of the typical console delays europe gets
    for example the game boy advance shelf is normally the size of the gamecube shelf
    the DS got crammed into the same shelf earlier this year and the PSP is still sold from behind the counter ...and still haven't sold out in the local electronics stores .. just like it did happen at the DS launch
    PC-gaming is still the big 800 pound gorilla around here (that's why xbox live hasn't been a major success here either)

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

LOL, what was the point of that post? Oh wait are you trying to start a flame war so you can move from newbie to member status?

12. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Yeah 500,000 units in the first 2 days in the US was a shocking launch. :rolleyes:

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

oh well sony is already claiming "that it sold out in germany completely"

heise was kind enough to ask sony n the phone what "sold out" means for them:
    "99% of the 80.000 units shipped to germany were sold to retail chains or other distributors"

half the units for more population than the UK and still not sold out in stores (i checked the local ones personally ;) .. plenty left).. looks like sony knew exactly how much less they would need for germany...

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

80,000 measly units? That explains why they're sold out. Nintendo is selling that many DS's every week in Japan.

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Considering their population is so much bigger than ours, I guess it could be classed as bad...

I *might* get a White PSP off eBay (Japan only :cool:)

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You might want to check how long it took the DS to sell 500,000 units in the US first? Personally I have no interest in this my console versus your console, or my hand held versus your one, both the PSP and DS are doing great, and I think it's been long enough now that we know neither are going the way of the Virtual Boy. ;)

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

my mate Simon was in Manchester the other day, he said there are still plenty of PSP's left in shops.
    interestingly, he just asked if they had any PSP's left, acting as if they sold out, just to see how they were doing... and in Game the manager told him "why get a PSP? Nintendogs is out next month". although im not sure how well that will sell here in the UK. everybody has a dog already. hmm.

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

raggedjimmi I call absolute BS on your post. There is no way the manager of a shop is going to turn away a sale. If this actually happened the manager should be fired. I've watched you spew out anti-psp rhetoric for a while now but this time you've gone too far! This is absolule BS! :)

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If thats your take on it then i suppose i cant really do much, after all it'd be easy to call my mate to clarify this a fake. so i'll ask the same guy again a similar question and record it all with my wee i-Bead MP3 player.

or if you want evidence right now... its not the first time something like this has happened. just check here. but hey, i probably made that up too, or perhaps my mate did? another example of extrovert manager prowess no?

suppose even Managers have opinions. depends on what they personally value more; spreading the bad word of another system or getting a few extra quid to the big bosses.

also the UK only received 150,000 DS's. that was a sellout day too. suppose Nintendo didn't realize how much the UK likes games at the moment. Sony must have been working hard to pump out those 185,000+ PSP's. maybe that explains the ludicrous delays in Europe?

EDIT: also, it makes total sense for the manager to recommend a DS instead of a PSP with Nintendogs on the horizon. going off the massive sales figures in Japan and now the US... they stock more games than actual game machines so they'd make more profit if everyone bought a DS ready for Nintendogs.

20. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I still call ********, I work with sales people daily there is no way anyone would turn down a sale! I'm sorry this is crap!

21. Xenious macrumors 6502a

That reminds me how we used to have "team meetings" at work where a group of us would go off to the test lab area, lock the door and play Starcraft on our private LAN. Had to lock the door because the lab was a secure area. :)

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's also possible that they have a higher profit margin on the DS as the PSP is selling at a loss...

Or maybe he's just a fanboy store owner?

23. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Well said. I still refuse to believe this though, honestly who in their right minds goes around "pretending" to want a Sony PSP just to have a laugh over the fact they are in stock when they are meant to be sold out? Mmm... maybe the store owner isn't the only fanboy here?

24. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Good counter thread, Robbie.

I was in my local Game yesterday, perusing the UK launch titles and so on, for the first time since release. They had completely sold out of consoles, though the HMV down the road had them in stock (I didn't pretend anything nor ask the staff what I should buy ;) ).

Game was amusing though. Not only was the main package they were offering £399 (!) (games plus UMD Movie, extra accessories etc,) that made me laugh; the games were £40 and there was a poor kid in there trying to convince his mum to put down the deposit (I think the sales girl said £100 deposit for said bundle). Crazy prices. He settled in the end for some random XBox game. I don't blame his mum for saying no!

HMV had the usual Budget pack at £180 and games at a more reasonable £30-35.

Just retrieved my PSP from the Sales guy at the office. Rule 1: Don't leave it on your desk on a Friday afternoon and go home.... Guess I'm luck he picked it up and not the cleaner!

Edit: also, can we please just ignore the DS trolls in these threads - that's probs the best way to get the message across. The comparisons are pointless and so are their posts.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

for pities sake didn't you read the link i posted? its the same thing that happened to me. -_-
    please don't tell me you just pick and read certain bits of messages, like in one PSP thread i actually said i was going to get one when there was a price drop. of course i hate the PSP. im just not giving Sony and easy time, they just have to build up interest for me and I have to build up respect for them (im not an automatic Sony fan).