PSP Dead Pixals

Discussion in 'Games' started by Phat_Pat, May 16, 2005.

1. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Ok so i've had my PSP for about a month and now dead pixals are starting to occur. (iono if they're dead but they are white and annoying)

Now i bought my PSP at Best Buy and got their protection plan. Does there plan cover for dead pixals? Has anyone had luck trading one in?

Or should I just deal with it. ($250 aarghh) :confused:

2. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I believe Sony repairs this. Check the PSP website for more info. i remember it saying that if you decided that you cant deal with the dead pixels, they will repair it free of charge. Or somethin like that.

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Sony said they will not cover dead pixels. So if you get them, too bad.

4. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

some store would except returns if it was bad. i had a black one dead center and the local gamestop took it back.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hello, my friend use to work for Game Stop and at first they got an internal memo that came from Sony. It stated that they would not warranty any dead pixals and that the customer should check it before buying it to avoid problems so...If you got a protection plan for your PSP make sure the fine print covers dead pixals.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You guys are reporting old news, other than Reanimation. Sony corrected this (sort of)
    I don't know anyone who tried this, but its worth a shot.

Edit: How come there was much press when Sony wouldn't cover the pixels, but very little when they tried to fix it? I hate the media.

7. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

to be honest any big company seems to be attacked for problems.... some one is always trying to take out the giant even though it may be a gentle giant (not that i am calling sony gentle) plus the problem with the psp was hugh in early ones. and same in japan(from what a friend was telling me). it's like they just repackaged the bad ones from japan and brought them here. still i am waiting for the colored one. the ones it the print ad for the psp. ohhhh lime green ohhh :rolleyes:

8. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Its probably not big enough for them to take it back. But the one thing that does make me think that after little below a month pixals are dying on me. It doesn't sound to good.

Uggh when the screen is at all dark its like that giant mole on that guys face in Goldmember.... :rolleyes:

9. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I got my PSP from GameStop, and I got the 1 year warranty they offered. I have five dead pixels, all around the very bottom and lower sides of the screen. I brought it back to them 2 days after purchase, and they said they would take it back, but I might as well keep it (they said I was lucky, someone had 20+ dead pixels). So I kept it, and they don't bother me, I may change it in after I have tried more games, but right now, I rarely notice them, except for on the Twisted Metal loading sequences and in some videos.

10. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

i went into best buy like a week ago to talk about their psp warrenty plan.

(i think it went like) 2 years for $40, covers everything pretty much. dead pixles can be one or all of them. just pay the shipping ($2?).

i just might wait till they have a better revision of the psp till i get my hands on one.

11. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Ok, time to dispel the internet troll rumors...

About the PSP Dead Pixel Issue / Sony's Stance:

Sony does 'replace / repair' your PSP screen (aka - send you a refurb, most likely).

You have to call up their obnoxious tech support line (and blindly navigate three menus with that female computer voice taunting you). Once you finally reach a real person - he will talk to you like you're an *******:

'Dead pixels!? No problem sir! We'd be glad to help you out sir! How long have you had this PSP sir? GOOD NEWS SIR! It's still covered by your one year warranty sir! All we need is your info and your original proof of purchase (receipt) sir! I'll go ahead and email you the info sir!'

The better news is - if you got your PSP as a gift (like me), you won't have the receipt. They accept credit card bills as well - but seriously - how do you even ask a family member for that?

The tech-douche will then tell you the 'good news' - that you can still send in your unit - but that it will cost you $120.

Right...

So, after that, if you have your receipt and honestly believe Sony is going to make sure your unit is perfect - rather than just boxing up a refurb (with the same problems) - you fill out this obnoxious form and send it in (box the unit yourself!), and apparently, they 'fix' the problem.

The better news? Your 'fixed PSP' now only has a 90 day warranty! CONGRATS!

I decided to try selling that unit and buying a brand new one...figuring:

'It's going to be a brand new PSP from the second batch. I bet they fixed that problem by now...'

Wrong.

So far, I've gone through twelve PSPs. All of them either had dead / stuck / lit pixels or bubbles in the screen plastic (which reflect, and appear as if there is water on the screen). Either defect I found was unacceptable...

I'm giving up on the PSP for now - although, for the breif, fleeting experiences we had together - I enjoyed it.

My advice to you is - return it to the store you bought it at - if you can. Tell them you want to exchange the item. Then, open up all of their PSPs until you find a unit that suits you. However, I will warn you now - you won't really notice the dead pixels until you're in a low-light condition (dark room). I was duped by the cancer-causing lights at Wal-Mart once. Unit looked perfect - but when I got home and turned it on in my pitch black living room - there were thirteen dead pixels...

So, yeah. Sorry to hear that - I feel your pain (probably moreso).

The Best Buy 'Protection' Plan:

Basically, you pay those bastards $42 to be the 'middleman'. That's it. Their plan is terrible. What happens is, they will send your unit to Sony if you have any problems for one year. After that free one year manufacturer's warranty expires, Best Buy will trade you a new PSP if you're still not happy with your current situation...

The bad news?

You can only do this once. So if they trade you another PSP, and it has problems? Tough tits fella. You have to get another protection plan. The plan is tied directly to your current PSP - not the PSP in general.

Don't do it. Buy a game instead.

12. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

wow 12 :eek: :eek:

dang man thats really crappy. I would think sony would check one out just for you.... but than i'm not sony....

well i wish you luck in finding a good PSP.... maybe i'll stick with mine....

13. Church macrumors regular

Church

i heard from a friend that no one would take one back if it had 3 or less dead, stuck, whatever, pixels. Either way, i hope they fix the whole problem by the time i'm ready to get one :(

14. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

If they don't fix it by the time I want to get one, I'll get a DS (provided these problems don't exist with nintendo) or simply nothing (addicted to games on my TI-84SE). Seeing as past handhelds havent had this problem (if so, to a lesser significance), it should be reasonable to expect that current/future ones don't either.