PSP DVD

Discussion in 'Games' started by Switzermac, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Switzermac macrumors regular

Is their a way to rip a DVD to a format which can be viewed on a PSP and fit on a 1gb memory stick? I found threads on ripping dvd's but they are all for non psp compatible formats.

Thamnk you

2. Uma888 macrumors 6502

that would be illegal (technically)

heres how to get movies onto your psp

google: pspvideo9

how you rip you dvds is your bussiness ;)

3. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

You might have to use to seperate apps, for example-handbrake and ffmpeX to make it PSP compatible.
    This is only legal if you own the rights for the movie.

4. Switzermac thread starter macrumors regular

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

A DVD is copy-protected for a reason.

Even if you own the DVD, you are still not supposed to rip the movie off it for your own use.

6. Switzermac thread starter macrumors regular

Oh because you are allowed to copy a program as a backup. Also do any of you guys know what region european psp games will be?

7. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

8. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

pspvideo9 is great is you have a windows box. too bad no mac version exists.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

well according to the latest Argos catalogue, the PSP can already play DVD's :rolleyes: and is a camera. who'da thunk it!

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

legally you're not allowed to break the copy protection.

11. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I just tried it out today for the first time, used yade x to extract it as a single .vob file then threw it into pspware.

Pretty painless. :)

12. Echinda macrumors regular

I like the combination of yade x to extract the .vob and ffmpegx to convert the .vob into an .mp4.

The only issue I've had, is that I haven't worked out how to get the right soundtrack all the time. On most DVDs its not a problem. But on Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon when I extracted the .vob it came with the director's commentary track.

Does anyone know of a good resource that can explain to me how DVD encoding deals with soundtracks? I get the feeling that with yade and ffmpegx i've got the tools, but I just don't have the knowledge to use them.

13. Echinda macrumors regular

I'm sure the MPAA wants you to think that, but it's not so black and white. The DMCA criminalizes three things: using tech to get unauthorized access to info, distributing tech that can be used to to get unauthorised access to info and distributing tech that can be used to defeat copyright owner's protection of its rights. Note the missing prohibition - it's silent on using tech to copy in a way that violates the owner's rights. Some argue that the first prohibition is broad enough so it doesn't need to talk about copying. But others point to the WTO and WIPO history behind the DMCA and say that it was a deliberate omission because copying is already dealt with in the Copyright Act. If the latter is correct, then it is pretty clear that copying a DVD you own for your personal use should not be prohibited because that kind of use is OK under the reasoning of the Betamax case. However, there is at least one lower court decision that just ignored this distinction in Calif. and found that copying=access (it was a pretty wonkily reasoned case so I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but it is out there). Also we haven't heard from SCOTUS on this one - the Grokster decision was all about distributors and not about users.

So in the end, you have to use your own judgment on this one, but I personally think that if I use tech to watch the content of a DVD I legally bought on my PSP, then I fall into the fair use category and should be OK. I wouldn't want to be the distributor of the tech, though.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I was told in the past that there is a contradiction in the law here; the DCMA states that its illegal to break the encryption, and a second law states that it is legal to back up anything you own.

Correct me where I'm wrong of course.

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If he owns the disk, then he's perfectly within his rights

16. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Yes, and the hospital that birthed you owns you, and critics are never allowed to find meaning in poetry other than what the poet intended... :rolleyes:

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

one could argue copyright law all day. the way i see it; i paid for it, i do whatever i like with it provided nobody else see's it.

18. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Not if he is in the US. The DMCA makes it illegal to break any form of encryption on a digital product, regardless if you have purchased to rights to it or not. This, as far as I know, has not been testing in court yet, but it is indeed the law at the moment.

Fair? No. Crappy? Yes. The truth? Yup.

19. Echinda macrumors regular

Agreed - as long as you do stuff with content you bought for your own enjoyment and don't give/sell it away, then you should have no worries.

What are they going to do? Sue you for damages? What damages? You paid for it.

20. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes there is a contradiction between the Copyright Act and DCMA that hasn't been sorted out yet. If you are copying for your own personal use I don't think you have anything to worry about.

21. crachoar macrumors 6502a

The DMCA sure is neat, isn't it?

The moral of the story? You bought it - do what you want with it.

Nobody is going to track you down and put their knee to your neck for ripping a movie you bought to watch on your PSP - although - I'm sure Sony and the MPAA would love to.