PSP from Japan?

Discussion in 'Games' started by zap2, Jan 1, 2007.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well I'm looking into buy a PSP...please don't tell me how terrible it is. If Apple doesn't release much at MWSF(if the release any 2 of the following :iPhone, iTV, or iPod Video or any big suprise then I won't even look at a PSP) assuming Apple doesn't "force" me to buy to many rocking Apple stuff I might get a PSP.

If I do buy a PSP I'm looking at imports, because those colors look SO nice. White to match my DS/Wii.

But my question is how much trouble will a PSP from Japan be in the USA? I think the plug to charge the PSP in Japan is different from the USA one, but I have a converter for my trip to Europe, which might have one for Japan(I have to look)

1) Can I buy a USA PSP charge and use it on a PSP from Japan?
    2) Will Wi-Fi work fine?
    3) Just making sure games will play?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9e-49-en-70-1afg-40-1.html#reviews

Thats the PSP I'm looking at..come with a 32mb memory card which is enough for games.

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I believe Japan shares the same standard for power as the US much like they share the NTSC standard... however I could be wrong.

Your games will play fine as the PSP is region free (or so I've read everywhere).

I see no reason for Wi-Fi not to work.

And kudos on the PSP purchase, there are quite a handful of great games for the PSP, WTF is a great game, as is Daxter, the Megaman Remakes, Mercury and Metal Gear Portable Ops, the PSP is hardly a bad handheld.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

A travel adapter will do you fine, or just a spare cable. All games are region free and wifi is grand.

The psp's power-supply is multi voltage, so you can use it anywhere in the world. I have a launch day jap psp and never had any problems, power, wifi or game wise.

Just make sure you set language to English in the menu. :)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have to ask....

WTF is WTF?

5. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The power is 100-110 V in Japan vs. 110-120 V in the U.S.A. and the plug type is generally similar except for polarised plugs, which either have one prong larger than the other or a third prong. The t.v. format is also NTSC is both countries, though the DVD region in Japan is 2.

Generally, you should use a converter but a standard charger/AC adapter should do just fine.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As i posted earlier. The psp power adpater is multi voltage 110-240v so all you need is to change the plug.

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You don't need to even change the plug. I have a japanese PSP and it works fine on US outlets out of the box. Mine charges with no issues, the JPN plug and the US plug are similar enough that it will fit in a US outlet. Of course im assuming the OP is in the US :D

As far as the memory card goes, if all you are doing is games 32 MB is "ok" but keep in mind that updates will eat 22-24mb of that. You can delete them once the update is done but just be sure you keep 26mb free for future updates. I bought a 512mb pro duo pretty cheap, all i do is play games on my PSP so it stays relatively empty at all times.

Ed

10. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

Yup I'm in the US...I think I'll go for a bigger memory card later, but for now its fine.

I'm pretty happy that a PSP form Japan will work so well in the US, I guess I'll see if Apple "lets" me get one:p

11. LastLine macrumors 65816

Does the US not have the white PSP then? I thought we all got it (the UK's had it for some time now)

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that thought crossed my mind too. We've had them in Europe for ages. (and pink ones too)

13. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

Nope, we don't have it :(

I have a few more PSP based questions....I pretty excited by the idea of having a PSP. I've never owned a Sony console, and I haven't been a huge fan(and for good reasons) but I'm looking at PS3, PSP, Wii, DS and xBox 360 and thing "Wow I could really love them all, there is not a huge reason to choice one company and stick with it"

I look at the PS3, and think wow 600USD, but I've seen what it can do, and I'm impressed. I think the demo of Motorstorm looks great, and that R:FoM was SO much fun on my friends PS3. GT4 also looks good. Thats not to say Sony rocks at everything, but I think the PS3 seems fun. I don't think it will do as well as the PS2, but I do think it looks like a good time. As does the xBox 360.

I'm ready to give a Sony system a chance, having never owned a PlayStation anything I think I should atleast try a PSP.

That being said, how does Star Wars BattleFront 2 play on it? The main thing that worries me is the controls...how did they work them?

14. wako macrumors 65816

dont get battlefront... if you are thinking it will be anything like that of the PS2, PC, Xbox, etc, you are wrong. Alot of the features are cut out on the PSP version. Read up on it because I forgot why I didnt buy it, but I think one main thing was multiplayer was completely left out? I remember it was something significant which is why I didnt buy it...

Lumines is a must. It is the equivalent of Tetris on the Gameboy. It is a must have. Other games I enjoy on the PSP is Ridge Racer. I dont know why, but I hate it on the PS2 and Xbox, but ti seems so much more fun on the PSP. I heard MGS:portable Ops was good so check that out as well...

Between all the consoles, I think the 360 is the better choice for now. The PS3 simply has no games. Only game that would be remotely fun is Resistance, but even then, if you arent a FPS fan, you are screwed. If you want something portable, it really is a toss up. I like my PSP because it has more mature games. However I like the DS because there are a lot of games out for it, and there are a lot more games coming out for it than the PSP. The downside of each is that the PSP doesnt have too many games and not alot of games are churning out for it either. The DS flaw is that Im sick of Mario, Yoshi, etc. Metriod Prime is cool and all and feeds my FPS needs, but I just need something more mature than that.

If you end up getting the PS3, do remember you can play the PS2 games! Which means there are a lot of games you can play, but wont be taking advantage of the system. A few notable games I like for the PS2 are...

ALL the Final Fantasy games...
    ALL MGS games :)
    Katamari
    We Love Katamari

I recently got Katamari on the PSP. Ill get back to you on how I feel on that. Controls are very different to the PS2.
    God of War

15. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

I have a PSP with GTA:Liberty City Stories, great game, plays well and it's not a easy game to end so I think it was a good buy, now I'm going for MGS:portable Ops and Daxter, check out LocoRoco too, it's a blast :)

I see nothing wrong with my PSP, however, if I were you I'd buy a 1Gb memory card. Why? Because you can convert video files to the PSP and watch them on the go (I have three Heroes episodes on it just in case) and a bunch of PSP magazines downloaded from www.perooz.com.

If you want to explore it's full potential you should get a proper Memory Card IMO.

Anyway, my 2 cents :)

16. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

You've been missing out big time if you didn't own a PS2, tons of great games for just about any kind of gamer, no reason to hate a company or choose sides or you'll end up missing out on great games for irrelevant reasons.

Currently I'm playing Bully and Final Fantasy XII on my PS2, both are pretty awesome games, I haven't played Gears of War yet but I bet those 2 games and Subsistence give it a run for its money.

The PSP is good and all but if you end up liking that, then a PS2 is right up your alley, its a darn good console.

I've played Battlefront on my friend's PSP, it slowdows quite a bit and while the controls work, they are not as smooth and powerful as one would like, if you get a PSP stick to the good unique games in the system, like say Daxter or Portable Ops or Loco Roco.

17. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Yep, that's why I was so surprised when I bought GTA:LCS and saw it run so smoothly, very fluid game and cut scenes.

As for the PS2, I own one since 2002 and it's a great system, it could be better, but I've hardly missed a single gaming title because they're almost all available for the PS2. My next buy will probably be a 360, if only MGS4 would come to the XBOX...... :(

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. There is absolutely no reason for this devout loyalty to a games console brand. It's the most bizzare thing ever. It's not like any of the console manufacturers ever thank you personally, your just another blip on a sales chart period.

Hence I've never understood the fanboy mentality at all.

100% agree. The PSP is a grand console when it's not butchering its big brother games onto a format unsuitable for it.

Lumines 1 or 2, Mercury & Mercury Meltdown, LocoRoco, Ultimate Ghost & Goblins, Killzone Liberation are all excellent games and I would recommend them.

Despite protestations to the contary, the seed has already been planted at Konami HQ, and I would not be surprised if they just suddenly out of the blue announced it would be available for the 360 a few months after the PS3 version. Much like Sega have just done with VF5 or Koei did with Fatal Inertia etc.....

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The way I see it - not everyone can afford multiple consoles. Hell my girlfriends family struggled to buy a PS2, and even then it was shared between 3 bedrooms. So what happens when X corporation buys X gaming studio? Bye bye games. Like if Rare were still as good as their N64 days I would be pissed as hell if MS bought them earlier. But thankfully they released Gamecube (and late N64, IMO) turds and all was well.

Take LOST. A lot of people I know hate Sky for buying it because they either can't afford it or would just rather it be on terrestrial TV.
    Hardly the most bizarre thing ever. It's just gamers seem to be vindictive, or simply can only buy one console to have their studio up sticks and become exclusive to someone else.

Personally I also hate Sony as a company for helping Lik Sang close its doors. I also hate Sony for their root kit fiasco, for their overpriced hardware for minimal quality. Their cheap clones of high end audio/video equipment like B&O. Downright terrible MP3 players that require the most obscure and painful to use transfering software.

20. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I've got a white PSP from Japan that I have had for over a year and it definetely works with all US and UK games. The only differance is that on the system menus, Circle is the button select button, and X is the back button (but that is not a issue at all).
    But, if you are planning to buy any UMD movies for it, remember that they are not region free like the games.
    Also, if you do not get Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, you are missing out on the main reason to own a PSP, in my opinion.

Argh, that really did make me mad, but it also made me almost twice as likely to give in and get Sky, and i'm sure a lot of people did.

21. darkwing macrumors 65816

I think this is programmable. Mine has X as enter and O as back, but when I put in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, it reverses. Weird.