PSP Gets PSOne Emulator

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacRy, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Mentioned in the PS3 thread, but oh well.

Questions:

How does this work, considering that PSP is widescreen and lower resolution than regular TV's? I've emulated NES on DS and GBA and it squishes the lines...will it be the same on PSP?

How will this work with games that require dual analog?

Won't you need a HUGE memory card?

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Controls are a definite issue and my guess is releases will be kept to those not requiring dual-analog or those extra L2/R2 buttons.

As for size, its true some games use the entire disc (and more) but there are many that don't. The FF compilation is about 100MB and keep in mind you probably won't be downloading ISOs, so many games could be smaller then you expect.

FMV on playstation games is what can take up the most space, perhaps re-encoding them with newer compression and codecs could reduce their size.

Think of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for N64, it was 32MB in size for the entire game! FMV would have bloated that considerably.

4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Finally.... Chrono Trigger AND Chrono Cross for the handheld machine :cool:

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Sony evil plan to get people buying more memory sticks!:eek:

Also with sony making a 199 PSP with not extras(but battery and wall charger) people also need to buy a memory stick, to save games. If sony had kept the memory stick in the 199 PSP, it would be much nicer(nice enought for me to buy!)

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

So you complain that that sonys plan is to make people buy bigger memory sticks but now that there is a price cut, you wont buy it because it dosent come with a 32MB memory stick? even though the regular PSP comes with it and we all know like you said, thats not gonna be enough to hold PSOne games.:confused: :rolleyes:

Anyways.
    GPS
    EyeToy
    Video Chat
    Flash Games
    RSS Video

:D Im gonna buy a PSP right now!!! *turns around, hugs my PSP* DOne :D :eek: :cool:
    Oh what shall I do on March 24th, its gonna be my PSP's 1 year anniversiry ;)

7. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I just bought a PSP and this is exciting stuff. I guess I'll need to get a larger memory card.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I just don't get it, why did any of you get a PSP? There has just been no compelling reason for me to get one, especially at it's price (or even a reduce $199 MSRP).

Few/poor games, terrible battery life, high price... this is all what I've gathered about the device (even after using it). And I have a Sony camera with a 1GB memory stick and even that doesn't do anything to make the purchase more tempting.

So... why?

9. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I can give you a link for 2GB for $100 shipped OR u can wait till June when the 4GB comes out :D

10. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

My girlfriend and I skipped our classes and went to Gamespot. I'm flying Southwest to Seattle out of Midway and wanted something to play with while I wait to board and for the flight itself. I was initially going to get a DS because they're awesome. I had a DS in hand and a few games and thought, "My girlfriend already has a DS, maybe I should get a PSP instead." I got the PSP with a few games and movies and she's a bit jealous. We figured we can't break up because I got the XBox and the PSP, and she has the PS2 and the DS (or until we get next gen consoles :p ).

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well that's an interesting reason at least... heh. Myself, it would have been the opposite; I'd have gone with a DS so we could share games as well as play them together! heheh. My wife would definitely play Mario Kart DS if we had a couple. Just have a single GBA SP atm.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I would not use PSone for the PSP, i find the PS1/2 system crappy(don't flame) but people who like them would need larger memory cards.

For me(a guy who would not use PSone for the PSP) i would only need a small memory card (aka 32mb) for games only(to use the PSP as a music players it even more cash for memory sticks) but with out a memory stick coming with a PSP i would have to buy a stick. So it would end up being no price cut because i need a memory stick, i would also have to get a case. And after that i'm already at 250 again(perhaps a bit less but it a small amount)

It's not really a deal, to buy what the 250 PSP had it will cost more(or as much) when your buy it with 199 PSP , memory card, case, and all the other extras that came with the 250 PSP.

13. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hahahaha how so many people view the macs ;) yet we all own one

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Those are all going to be addons. As in, $$$

Honestly, Sony is coming out with some cool stuff, and I would consider getting a PSP, except that:
    A) There are virtually no games I want
    B) The games still cost $50
    C) After having had my DS with the capability of playing videos, I've realized that you can't watch a video while walking or driving a car or sitting in a classroom, and when sitting down I have my laptop, so I have no reason to have a portable video player.

Perhaps when the system hits $150 I'll get it in addition to my DS. Or maybe after I get a PS3 (after it's price goes down as well).

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Complain that its too much now complaining thats its not enough....make your mind up. Back on topic..YES!! silent hill 1!!

Bless

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Oh, I'd disagree :) I think Mac, especially OS X, has a great many things going for it and really great quality software; and very good software value. I consider a Macs primary use general computing and media playback/editing and it does this stuff great (I've only been a mac owner since the Intel Macs came out, which is when I switched - although not because they were using Intels primarily).

So in that sense, I think the Macs do what they are designed for excellently and have the software and quality to back that up. PSP on the other hand is designed primarily for Gaming and at least the software does not seem to back that up. ;)

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Except that Macs aren't gaming machines, so "few games" isn't as important ;)

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I was complaing the price was to much(at 250), now with a lower price(which is still high IMO) it does not come ready to play. Nothing pisses me off more then when a company makes your buy more stuff to use its product.(i understand you need buy games or songs, moives not with the origanal unit) but the stuff to save it on!

Sell the current PSP(the "valuepack one) at 199 (or less... 150) would be crazy good. All around i thing i dis like about the PSP is it price, and it keeps adding but with extras

People tell me about all these cool things the PSP does but to make it good at any of these things, you need to spend tons of cash

19. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

So how does this sound? PSP at $150, with the 4GB memory stick, 100 Films, 200MP3's, free wireless access world wide and of course, the GPS and Eyetoy in the box. Oh yea, also when u buy one, you enter in a free drawing for a free PS3 and PS4 :rolleyes:

People complain extra cool stuff costs money. uum, dare I say...no ****? its like me hating my PowerMac. *cry cry* I wanted to chat with it but what, i need to buy a monitor and iSight? and I got it for video editing. Software cost me $1300? and whats this, every year, a New OS with some new features and a new iLife with new themes and I gotta pay? *cry cry* :rolleyes:

or better yet, my phone supports bluetooth but I have to buy the headset, what is this crap!!! all in the box! $40!!!! :rolleyes:

No, i meant it from the average view that, few programs on it, its soo expensive, some of my stuff might not work on it but we all own macs and know there is so much more to it then just that. Same goes with the psp. I own one and I know there is so much to this little bugger and I love it. and the more stuff Sony comes out with it, the more people cry. like Sony is forcing them to buy it and they want it all but for $20.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... Isn't anybody bothered about the fundamental problems with this?

1. buttons. no L2 and R2.
    2. multidisc games are not going to fit.
    3. the damn screen size! it's not big enough. Games are going to be squashed they will miss out on horizontal lines! this absolutely destroyed the NES Classics on the GBA.

21. Gurutech macrumors 6502

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Is it a Memory Stick/Pro or a Memory Stick Duo. The PSP uses the Duo, whereas most cameras use the Memory Stick (or the Memory Stick Pro). The Duo has an adapter that allows you to use it in a Memory Stick slot, but not the other way around. If that's the case, then don't feel so bad.

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Or a PSP that works right out of the box, the "value pack" at 199 would be perfect, and a strip down PSP(only the PSP, Battery and Wall charger) at 150

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ever thought that they would make it work and not just put them out there....complaints complaints..be hppy that they are trying to make the handheld better instead most of everyone just RAY RAY..WE ALL KNOW WHY.

Bless

25. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Geez I wish I hadn't have bothered posting this thread because it always just brings out the Nintendo fanboys.