PSP Hardware Rumor.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ultimate-Omen, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Ultimate-Omen macrumors member

So as i was browsing a psp centered forum i noticed this article:

after reading this i felt kind of cheated...but the bright outlook on the psp's future seems to make up for that feeling. :cool:
    now, this person made a really good point but i'm not sure if this is 100% true (though it seems very likely). please post your thoughts about this :)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

3. Ultimate-Omen thread starter macrumors member

way to ruin my "smart" feeling...but yea i kinda figured it was old. still interesting to those that don't know i guess. :D

4. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Quoted for truth.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

True... hence the smiley. :)

7. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

So the PSP battery is capable of dying 50% faster :confused: :rolleyes:

Well, at least its a good thing that they did something about it.

Seriously though, the whole [portable] industry is just begging for better battery technology, and when it arrives, Sony won't be the only one with it. Whats to stop Nintendo from slapping it on the DS, and advertising an even longer battery?

Maybe Sony should have just worked with what they had...

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i've read this before but whatever. If they are gonna be better then lets do it no more talks of doing it. lets go psp get on the wagon

Bless

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I agree as well. I'd really like a PSP but I'm having trouble getting excited about it. There needs to be something killer about it to entice more buyers. Some awesome games with good wifi integration or cheaper UMDs......

After reading that article - I don't really care that it can do better, what counts is it's power being leveraged in practice.

10. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

you are right. this makes no sense. why the hell would sony cap thier battery use rate? if it can drain it's energy in 2 hours, why don't they let them do that? they are holding out on us.. they must have tons of fun by themselves in thier sony testing lab, running out of batterey power faster than us.. not fair.

11. Ultimate-Omen thread starter macrumors member

ah it seems they need a port of my favorite ps2 game...DOT HACK! :D

oh and btw, most of the psp's battery drain is coming from the optical drive. im not sure on the whole number but i think it uses something like 40% of the wattage from the battery when it does that loading sound. more detailed graphics would mean more instances for the psp to go back to the umd and load graphics/textures/etc. so basically the more it needs to load, the less battery life it will have. kind of like when 2 people play ad-hoc mode using game sharing, the person without the umd will last much longer than the poor sap that had to buy the game (jokes) :D

12. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

It's funny... I charge my DS less than I do my cell phone, and I play it all the time...

Oh and that 50% increase won't suddenly put Mario Kart, Prime: Hunters, New Super Mario Bros, etc on it. :D

13. shake macrumors regular

i *love* my GBA SP (graphite) with new brighter backlit screen.

lasts 9 hrs gaming, and 14 hrs playing mp3's with Play Yan micro.

and it's nintendo. mario rules.

14. Ultimate-Omen thread starter macrumors member

i charge my psp for about and hour every day and it never gets below 50%...thats with me playing gta for 2-3 hours a day. :D

15. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

16. nimbus macrumors regular

That's very very good news. I'm sure that the PSP will be highly more intergrated with PS3 games...like MGS4. Supposedly, you'd be able to control Otacon's little robot. All-in-all, very good news. I plan on getting a PSP very soon...
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. nimbus macrumors regular

Oh I just love how people get off the subject. This is good posted information. If you've read it already, please don't knock someone for posting it for others to see...
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Erm, I didn't knock anybody. And I didn't go off subject, either.

When will you stop abusing emoticons, hmm? :mad:

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We've known this for a while and people HAVE overclocked it to 333 MHz for homebrew. However, it also saps the battery much more than the regular 222 MHz clock speed.

20. Ultimate-Omen thread starter macrumors member

you're going off the subject! :D

21. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

when that new battery technology comes out, if revolutionary, will cost a lot. If it were to come standard on future PSP's and DS systems would it increase the price of the systems? therefore making the systems more expensive over time rather than cheaper :eek: I would like to see how much of an improvement this capped technology has and whether future games will benefit greatly from it. Who knows it might even be a requirement!

22. Ultimate-Omen thread starter macrumors member

well first off the ds doesnt need any more battery capacity or power because, as far as everyone knows, the ds is running at full processor power without any ceilings or restrictions. but this thread isn't about the ds! :p :D

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly.

its about a system designed for closet PC gamers who want all this power but, unlike the PC, without the games.
    I'd love the PSP to become equal or surpass the DS so I can get the underdog-loving feeling that I get from having a Mac and Gamecube. they're only going to get there with games. no matter how many UMD films, how many 3rd party applications, emulators, speed increases are going to sell it massively without the backing of good solid, defined games.

24. Ultimate-Omen thread starter macrumors member

equal or surpass the ds?!...i hope you mean gameplay wise...graphics, sound, cut scenes. psp is ahead in those three thus far. although the ds will have a real tough time in '06 with all the announced games for psp.