PSP htf on Launch Day?

Discussion in 'Games' started by zelmo, Mar 20, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I didn't bother pre-ordering a PSP, mainly because by the time I got around to thinking about it, the only options were getting one from the 2nd wave of shipments or buying one with 4-5 games I'd never otherwise buy.
    I plan on hitting up a store sometime early in the day on the 24th for my PSP. Do you expect there to be problems getting one?

2. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I planned on getting up early to head to Best Buy for the 8:01am opening to sell PSPs, but while I was at the mall today I dropped into my local EB to see if I could pre-order there and pick it up thursday. To my somewhat surprise there were 13 slots open. For $20 down I've got one reserved for me on Thursday there. I'm guessing that they won't be too hard to find (esp with 1million shipping in the first few weeks for the US launch).

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Most likely. DS sold out right away in the US and Japan, and the PSP sold out even faster because Sony only shipped a limited number on the launch day. If we get a repeat of that you may not find ANY. In the US, stores actually were delaying the people who had PRE-ordered the DS.

4. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I figure on swinging by the local Best Buy after work tonight or tomorrow to try and find out how many PSP's they expect to have available on the 24th. I am off that day ;) and plan to head over there as early as is necessary to get my PSP. If I can get there at 7.00a and still be guaranteed a PSP, I'll be a happy camper. Hopefully, it won't require camping out overnight like my PS2 launch purchase did.

5. Pathetique macrumors member

Just as a heads up, at Target we're prepared to have someone handing out tickets for psp's at 6am, and the store opens at 8. I'm really not sure if it will be that big of a deal or not, but corporate says we will sell 60 within the first hour of opening the store.

6. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Showing up at 4.00a to have a place in line for a 6.00a number handout is fine with me. I was in line at the local Wal-Mart at 8.00p the night before the PS2 launched. They only had 30 PS2's available, and we had 75 people in line by 1.00a. Having talked to the store manager about the situation the previous day, I tried to tell folks that there weren't enough to go around, but people wouldn't believe. When the manager came out at 5.30a to hand out numbers, there were a lot of pissed off people scrambling to get to another queue somewhere.

Somehow, I don't think the situation will be quite as desperate this time around. More than twice the volume available (1MM PSP's vs 500,000 PS2's), and no Christmas rush hanging over anyone's head.

7. Cfly macrumors regular

The futureshop where i live is going to have 110 psp's, first come first serve.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

i went to Target the morning when GranTurismo4 was released last month (a tuesday, like most release dates), and the guy in the games section was like 'Oh, that game comes out thursday, not today' so I went to EB Games and got a copy 30 minutes later...I tried to buy it at Target because it is close to my house and EB isn't...

Target isn't exactly...aware...of most big things and their release dates. GT4 sold...pretty well. By 11 am, EB games only had 3 of their 80 non-reserved copies left...I barely got there in time.

Not sure what the point of my post was, though...

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You should have gone back to Target, found that guy and waved the game in his face :D

10. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

But then, upon leaving the Target triumphantly, the security farce might have accused him of attempting to shoplift a game...that wasn't even released yet :eek: :rolleyes: