PSP, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by e²Studios, Aug 12, 2005.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Pretty much debating buying myself a PSP. I dont do a lot of travelling around but i cant seem to get play time on my console since the wife is always watching something that TiVo recorded. I figure it would also be good to burn the 3 hours i have between work and my MBA courses. Just looking for a fun system to use and play with, i can careless about the movies. I noticed on Sony's website that there are no RPG's for the PSP, to me that seems really odd, thats a huge market to lose by not having any.

Ive heard the system is better specification wise than a PS2, but unless the quality and content of the games take advantage of it the specs are meaningless. I would just like to get some opinions, hopefully some from both the "i like it" and the "its not worth it" camps to help me decide if its worth spending $250 on the machine and then oodles more on game software.

2. noelister macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005

I really like the little thing. I have only had it for a week though.
    I am going to buy PSPware tonight I think (unless someone has a better suggestion). Because my 512MB Duo card came today. I only have Darkstalkers which is really fun but I am sure there won't be any lasting appeal to it. As far as RPG go, Square Enix is supposed to realese a game that ties into the advent children movie(At least i think thats right) which I really am looking forward to buying. However, the US firmware 2.0 was supposed to be released today but I have not seen any thing about it.

All in all it is an expensive device. The duo cards are a bit pricey as well. But since it can play movies and stuff it can be used for other types of enertainment, not just games.
  3. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    trust me, its worth it. I have had it since it came out. AMAZING SYSTEM. I just wish GT4 would come out sooner
  4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Go for it. I think the standard of the games is incredible for such a tiny machine and it looks supremely trick too.

It certainly makes my hour long round trip train ride a lot more fun. Battery life has never been an issue. Memory sticks are dirt cheap compared to yesteryear. The only thing is, it does make you look 10 years old, but when you're screaming round a track on Ridge Racer with the superb sound blaring in your earphones, you don't really care.

The screen gets grubby easily and it's another set of cables, another thing to lavish funds on, but I'd definitely say get one.
  5. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    No. Not worth it.

I really wish it was - but it's not.

I've purchased nineteen PSPs so far - all of them had defective screens and plastics.

If the LCD itself wasn't flawed (dead / stuck / lit pixels) then the plastic was covered in scratches, pits, air bubbles, etc. And if that wasn't the case - there was dust trapped under the plastic.

The quality is quite ass. Also, it smudges more than an iPod. I think the White PSP would be a lot better - unless you have really dirty hands.

When you first turn it on, you feel like you have to own it. And once you see a game in motion, you're stunned. But, after a while of playing it - you'll notice something on the screen that shouldn't be there. And after that - your eye will be glued to the imperfection...

It's really not worth the price - considering there aren't any 'must-have' exclusive games (besides Wipeout). And the chances that your screen will have some annoying flaws will be extremely high.

Frankly, if you're forking over $250 for a portable game console - it damn well better be perfect.

Personally, I've gotten so much more use out of my GBA SP. Tons of RPGs and Strategy games. Really, it's my all-time favorite system. I play it more than all three of the consoles. Some of the really good RPG/Strategy games - I've poured over 40 hours into.

It's sturdy, the screen isn't defective - it has a long battery life, plays every Gameboy game from every Gameboy System etc.

The only downside is - a lot of the really good games (Castlevania) are extremely rare and hard to find. Well, and it lacks a headphone port (how worthless is that?). However, you can buy an adapter to use headphones - which will cost you about $3USD.

If you want, you could spend the extra $50 and get a DS (since it will play GBA games (only GBA, not older GB games) - minus the multiplayer) - but personally - I think they're a gimmick, and the games are even more mediocre than PSP games. Having an entire screen dedicated to a

I've yet to play a PSP game besides 'Wipeout Pure' that made me want the system, so I really can't recommend it. Although, 'Virtua Tennis' is coming out soon - and that game is amazing...

If Sony ever lowered the price and redesigned the system - I'd be all over it. But for now, I think I'll just write nasty letters to Sony Corporate - explaining to them how I won't be purchasing Sony products ever again.

If you like RPGs and polished 2D games, seriously, get a GBA. Nothing else comes close.

Should you purchase a GBA - I highly suggest the following games:

1) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    2) Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    3) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    4) Metroid Zero Mission
    5) Metroid Fusion
    6) Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
    7) Advance Wars 2
    8) The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    9) Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

There are at least a handful of other games worth owning - but those are my favorite.
  6. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    So these memory stick Duo cards are the same that my DSC-T1 uses? I hope so cause i have 3 1GB and 2 512mb sticks laying around :D

Thanks for all the input! Has anyone noticed on the PSP site there is only 2 pages of games total? How long has this been out in the US?

Also i heard that region doesnt matter for the games only the movies? My Wife's brother sent me couple games from Japan and he said i should be able to play them if i buy a US system since his unit could play games from Europe and the US (his unit is stock no mods whatsoever). I remember the GB and GBA had this ability also. Hopefully the US version is the same.

7. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    It's been out since March.

Neat huh?

And yes - it's region-free for gaming.
  8. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    I'm sorry but that sounds ridiculous. 19? I've noticed 3 dead pixels at the bottom of my screen, but you only ever see them when it's on a black screen in between scenes. Then again, the Japanese versions are supposed to have better screens than the UK or US versions but I don't know that for sure.

Have you seriously sent that many back? Wouldn't you give up after 10?

Sorry if I sound incredulous, but I never understand people who have bad runs of luck spanning multi shipments of products. What are you doing to them?

I guess they should be 'perfect' at that price but really, few things are going to meet actual 'perfect' standards. Even if you spend 50k on a BMW M3 it can have a couple of minor things wrong with it. Deal with it.
  9. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Accoville, WV
    I'll be getting a PSP when GTA: Liberty City Stories comes out, as it's exclusive to the PSP.
  10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005

That and GT4 Mobile are killer apps that beat any Zelda or Mario adventure to sh*t.

Buy a PSP Ed, seriously. It will do what you want it to do, spectacularly.
  11. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005

It uses these right?

I figure that would be one less thing i would have to buy if it does use them.

Good thing the games are region free, i can trade back and forth with my brother in law :D

I have the weekend to think it over, but it seems like it would be a good deal. Just hope the screens arent as unreliable as the one poster said above, for the price i would hope it would be somewhat sturdy.

12. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Those are the ones, though you can buy SanDisk or other 3rd party sticks for roughly half that price on ebay and elsewhere.

Sony have sold thousands and thousands of these things. I think crachoar has had a very bad run of luck or is a little to particular.

Games are definitely region free. Movies are not. If you're worried about reliability, buy a Japanese one. I have the Jap model in England, updated the firmware here, can play anything I want on it using memory cards and play region free games (I think buying movies on UMD is a complete waste of time so the Region incompatibility does not bother me at all in this respect). Only downside is the instructions came in English on a CD, but it's not been a big problem, I just cry for help (on here) when needed and those more in the know can help every time.

I guess in terms of games, it comes down to one thing. Are you a Nintendo fan or a sony games fan. By this I mean Zelda, Mario, RPG (you mentioned them before) and so on. Or are you a GTA, Ridge Racer (the DS version of Ridge blows), Gran Turismo fan?

I didn't pay for my PSP and I hadn't intended to buy one before I got sent it but now I'm a champion of the cause and my new flatmate took little persuading once he saw it. Roll on Wi-Fi battles. At 23 and soon to be 24, I should really be growing out of it but like I sad earlier - who cares!
  13. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I imported my PSP from Japan when they were released back in December, I'm still amazed by the quality of the games, audio quality is great with headphones, video is great if you have a big enough memory card. I say go for it, as for the guy who purchased 19 of them and they were all defective - all I can say is YEAH RIGHT! :rolleyes: I always find it interesting that these people that have so many problems with them always seem to recommend the big N as the fix. My PSP is perfect 0 dead pixels, 0 stuck buttons, it's 9 months old now and if it was going to break it would of buy now, the PSP is an amazing piece of well built hardware.
  14. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    PSP is a bargain for what it does, provided that you actually want it to do most of what it does.

A few amazing games, and the rest uninspiring. Clearly the PSP is not at all on par graphically with the PS2, but in several games it comes close. Ridge Racer and Wipeout are exceptions.

Outstanding sounds with headphones, and a screen that looks sharper than most laptops.

If not for Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer and Lumines, I would have already sold it by now (bought it in May). Somewhat bored with those, no new games of the same caliber, and the thing is too bulky to use as an iPod. Besides a new ipod can cost around the same as a 1gb memory stick, and has several times the capacity.

Avoid Smart Bombs and MVP baseball at all costs.

No flaws on my unit except that the memory stick door seems just a little loose, and intensive use of the analog stick (i.e. in Gretzky NHL) sometimes causes it (the door, not the stick) to open.

The PSP is one of those gadgets that give great pleasure for a few months, wanes in interest, regains interest periodically when news of a new firmware or downloadable wipeout track emerges, and then promptly becomes boring again.

If you have cash to blow then I say go for it.
  15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    IMHO, no. The PSP has excellent hardware, don't get me wrong. Well worth $250. However, the disadvantages pile up;

$50 for each game.
    Expensive memory sticks to actually use the multimedia features
    Weak battery life
    Not-so-good build quality, dead pixel replacement policy
    Load time
    Weak games lineup so far, IMHO.

The DS makes a more convincing arguement when you're on a BUDGET, at $150 for the system, generally $30 per game, almost no loading times, double the battery life, one-pixel-replacement policy, clamshell (protects the screens), and an INSANE upcoming games lineup. I can name ten games I want to buy in the next four months, several of them online.

It's a fine gadget, and I may buy a PSP when the price goes down (using my sister's Best Buy Employee discount on top of the price drop as well) EVENTUALLY (next year perhaps?) for Battlefront 2 and Burnout (I still don't see how FPS can be done on the PSP). But I do not feel its worth the high price tag.
  16. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I have had a PSP since US launch and I love it. Don't buy it for movies though they are expensive and the memory cards are big enough to put many movies from your DVD collection to PSP.

The games are pretty good but I feel the library is still pretty limited. The battery is swapable so battery life really isn't an issue.

I don't belive a word of the guy who bought 19 PSP with dead pixels. It just doesn't happen that often.
  17. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    You guys can be *******s and use emoticons all you want. Doesn't change the facts.

I have the receipts to prove it.

Nineteen defective PSPs and counting. The screens are ass.

It happens a lot. I'm proof. And every store I've been to says that it's their number one most returned item.

Whenever I go to return one, there are already a few behind the counter.

One Circuit City employee helped me open a bunch. He was pissed himself, and wrote Sony a letter because their entire batch had pixel and plastic defects.

And Sony Tech support is hilarious. I called with my first PSP. The tech support guy told me he'd be glad to replace my screen. He kept me on the phone for thirty minutes, asking me all kinds of questions, and right at the end, he mentioned:

'Alright sir, we'll just need you to mail your PSP to us with your original receipt - the PSP will be under a manufacturer's warranty for 90 days when you get it back...'

I explained to him that I got it as a gift - and that my relatives don't give me receipts for gifts. I asked, '...shouldn't this be covered under the one-year? It's only been out for a few weeks...'

He told me that if I didn't have the receipt, it would 'only cost $120 to replace', despite the fact that the system itself is most assuredly - covered under the one-year. Yeah, that's awesome.

My options were:

-pay a lot to have a manufacturer's flaw 'fixed' and throw away my warranty
    -throw away my one-year warranty and hope Sony fixed the problem

I decided to return it to Wal Mart and just told them that I didn't have the receipt. I then proceeded to buy PSPs from all over the state - hunting for a unit without pixel and plastic defects.

Why didn't I give up? Because:

1) I wanted to play Wipeout (which I own)
    2) I had vowed to purchase one a year prior - and was hot in the pants for it
    3) I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that every PSP I've touched has some kind of major screen flaw - I wanted to see how long it would take for me to find a perfect one

And did I not mention the downside of 'the Big N'? Did I not say that I didn't like the DS, and that I thought it was a gimmick?

Yes. Yes I did.

I mentioned the pros and cons of both Nintendo handhelds.

The OP mentioned concern about RPGs. I suggested the GBA. I even listed the downsides of the GBA. But the facts still remain - the GBA is the best platform for RPGs.

Try reading my posts and perhaps - thinking - before you accuse me of being a fanboy in any way, shape or form.

k-thnx-bai! <3 kekekeke
  18. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I am very happy with my PSP.
    Had it since launch day. No dead pixels, and battery life is around 4-4.5 hours for gaming. Bought a 1GB memory stick for $90, which holds two movies plus some photo's and game saves. Bought PSPware for syncing with my Mac.
    Wipeout Pure is awesome, but it's always been my fave racing series. Downloaded tracks, skins, and vehicles are great, and add some playability.
    Lumines is great, and pretty addictive. Not quite up to Tetris, but what is?
    Ape Escape is a good platformer.
    Tiger Woods is a good golf game, but I think I'd rather have Hot Shots.
    Have MGS Ac!d, but haven't played it yet.

I think there are so few RPG's primarily because of load times coupled with the fact that they are so immersive that they are tough to play in short bursts required by battery life. Not an RPG fan, so it doesn't bother me.

Installed the Jaapanese v2.0 firmware update, and web browsing is very cool. Where is my keyboard, Sony (Pelican, whoever)?

If you aren't convinced to buy one yet, there's always Burnout, Liberrty City, and GT.
  19. themacman macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2004
    i got mine when it first came out. I use it all the time. ITs incredible. The graphics are amazing. and its so portatble.
  20. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

Dec 29, 2004
    The Wood of Spots, NJ
    Wow, did you overreact. I agree with you with the screen thing, but come in man. Relax.

Personally, I want one. But a white one. And not for $250- the only game out right now that I would buy is MLB and MAYBE Ridge Racer.

So when white ones come out at under $200 and there are more games, I might get one. And if lazy ass developers would get off there ass and make games compatible with their console brothers (like madden or mvp baseball, just imagine if you could continue your season on your PSP, holy F I would buy one immediately), mand are there possibilities.

Until then, I am happy not having one. But I want a white one. So sexy. :)
  21. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2005
    The PSP is getting all my attention!! More than my DS,....

I use to play the DS with Mario DS and plenty of GBA games all the time. Now, I find it myself playing Lumines, Ridge Racer, Wipeout and some Coded Arms all the time.

It IS expensive. If you want, wait for a price drop, you are not missing much in respect to games. Once more games come out, you can decide for yourself if you want to dive in. Do not buy the PSP because of the hardware, buy it for the games.

Same thing goes for any system out there really....
  22. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
  23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Just want to make a quick point. Well, sorta two. The thing with the screen dedicated to the map with Metroid Prime; not exactly. It's there for the touch screen. You put the pen on the bottom screen and move it to control your character like you would with a trackpad. They NEED the second screen, because with only one screen you finger covers what you are actually doing. So the second screen, in those games (Mario 64 and Metroid Prime are the ones that come to mind), is used for a map AND input at the same time. When you use the touch screen and see the accuracy you won't feel its a gimmick.

Anyway, just want to give a rundown for the DS lineup for ONLY the next four months. This fall is the reason I got a DS.

The games I am specificly interested in are bold, the underlined ones have been specificly announced as online.
    date game title
    August 22, 2005 Advance Wars: Dual Strike
    August 22, 2005 Nintendogs: Chihuahua & Friends
    August 22, 2005 Nintendogs: Dachshund & Friends
    August 22, 2005 Nintendogs: Lab & Friends
    August 23, 2005 Pac 'n Roll
    September 2005 Yu-Gi-Oh: Nightmare
    September 6, 2005 Ford Racing DS
    September 13, 2005 Big Mutha Truckers DS
    September 19, 2005 Tak: The Great Juju Challenge
    September 20, 2005 Dig Dug: Digging Strike
    September 20, 2005 Lunar: Dragon Song
    September 20, 2005 Snood 2: On Vacation
    September 20, 2005 Zoo Tycoon
    September 26, 2005 Trace Memory
    September 26, 2005 Ultimate Spider-Man
    September 27, 2005 Frogger: Helmet Chaos
    September 27, 2005 Lost in Blue
    Fall 2005 Fairly OddParents
    September 2005 Scooby-Doo! Unmasked
    October 4, 2005 Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    October 10, 2005 Metroid Prime: Hunters
    October 18, 2005 Spyro Shadow Legacy
    October 18, 2005 Tony Hawk DS
    October 30, 2005 FIFA '06
    Fall 2005 Nicktoons
    October 2005 Scurge: Hive
    Fall 2005 SpongeBob SquarePants Multiplayer [working title]
    Fall 2005 SpongeBob SquarePants: The Yellow Avenger T
    Fall 2005 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
    Fall 2005 The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer
    Fall 2005 Top Gun
    Fall 2005 Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
    Fall 2005 Disney's Kim Possible: Kimmunicator
    Fall 2005 Disney's Lizzie McGuire & That's So Raven
    Fall 2005 Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team
    October 2005 Real Time Conflict: Shogun Empires
    October 2005 Shrek SuperSlam
    Fall 2005 The Sims 2
    November 1, 2005 Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects
    November 7, 2005 Mario Kart DS
    November 8, 2005 Ultimate Card Games
    November 8, 2005 Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble
    November 14, 2005 ATV: Quad Frenzy
    November 14, 2005 Crash Tag Team Racing
    November 14, 2005 Sonic Rush
    November 15, 2005 SBK: Snowboard Kids DS
    November 2005 Texas Hold 'Em Poker
    November 2005 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    November 21, 2005 Animal Crossing DS
    November 29, 2005 Guilty Gear Dust Strikers
    November 2005 Need for Speed Most Wanted
    November 2005 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare
    November 2005 Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    December 1, 2005 Ultimate Brain Games
    December 14, 2005 King Kong
    Q4 2005 Battles of Prince of Persia
    TBA Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Force
    TBA 2005 Cerulean Dreams *TBA Shooter
    TBA 2005 Dark Reflections *TBA RPG
    TBA 2005 Digitylish
    TBA 2005 Dragon Ball Z Atari
    TBA 2005 Dynasty Warriors
    TBA 2005 Egg Monster Hero
    TBA 2005 Final Fantasy III
    TBA 2005 Ford Racing 3 Destination Software, Inc. (DSI) Racing
    TBA 2005 Golden Nugget Casino DS
    TBA 2005 Harvest Moon DS
    TBA Jeff Corwin Experience
    TBA 2005 Katamari Damacy
    Q4 2005 Metroid Prime Pinball
    TBA 2005 Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
    TBA 2005 Moonlight Fables
    TBA 2005 New Super Mario Bros.
    December 31, 2005 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    TBA 2005 SSX 4
    TBA 2005 Street Racing Syndicate
    TBA 2005 Tetris
    TBA 2005 Worms
    TBA 2005 Worms Forts Under Siege

In the next few months, the DS will have a killer games lineup.

To the original poster; if you get a GameBoy Advance, or a DS, I HIGHLY recommend MegaMan Battle Network 3. I know, sounds dumb, and the storyline is silly, but it is IMHO the best RPG I have played for the GBA in terms of the way combat is handled and awesome in multiplayer.

Battle Network 1 and 2 sucked and 4 is too short and overcomplicated. 3 is the best one. Get it.
  24. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    You know the tempting part to a DS is that i already own a GBA, i didn't know that my GBA games could be played on a DS. Are the DS graphics about up to par with the PSP? I haven't heard much about the specs of the DS.

25. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not even close. The DS has Nintendo 64 (ish) graphics, the PSP is more comparable to the PS2.