PSP Launch Sales

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599156p1.html

Just thought i would shoot you guys some feedback on the PSP sales in my area. I'm a retail manager at a Target in the Denver Metro Area. We do the 3rd most business in the state of Colorado for target stores. We received 40 PSP's for the launch and we only sold 10 at yesterday. During Christmas we had people lining up everyday, to see if we got any DS, PS2 or Xbox in. We had only a handful of people really ask about the PSP, it seems to me that most non-hardcore gamers really didn't know the system was coming out. A few parents i talked with didn't even know what it was and was amazed when i showed them it. Just thought i would shoot you guys a heads-up on sales on the PSP in my store.
    --Jimmy

I work retail, and our store received 60 PSP's and sold 10 the entire day. Outside of hardcore gaming stores, I was curious to find out if that was just an anomaly, or the standard. I actually had many people come up and talk to me about it, but balked at the price of $249.99.
    --Jeff L.

Just to let people know, there are still plenty left in San Antonio, Tx. Out of our initial shipment (Target), we got rid of about 20 out of 80. Kind of funny, considering school's out because of good Friday. If there's any left on Sunday, I might pick one up for myself. Checking by the Gamestop in the same shopping center, they had a few left as well.
    --G

Just read your article on the PSP Sales, and I must say that here in Indianapolis IN, they are sold out jus about everywhere. A certain store that I won't name ... took TOO MANY preorders even and were out of PSP's for my all my friends preorders! So they all went to the out of the wall location where I got mine (Gamestop) who had plenty, and we all bought them out at once :) I had to call around for about half an hour to find PSPs available. Also games selling out here rapidly are Ridge Racer and Dark Stalkers.
    --Casey H.

hmm.. the PSP launch at my Wal-Mart went like this. We opened at 7am. 10am we sold one. 11:30. we sold another. 5:00pm. Almost sold one, another customer said "metal gear is a card game" lost the sale. we have 58 units left. great day.
    --tom

I think you need to contact stores not on the coastlines to gauge how the PSP is becoming one of the worst launches in history. I'm in St. Louis and this thing is easier to find than a Gamecube right now.

Go ahead, call some Best Buys in the area. Some Toys R US, or Circuit City stores. And then rewrite you're glowing praise to reflect what's really happening.
    --wmatistic

Thought you might be interested in how the sales were going with the PSP in mid-Oregon. In Eugene, the game shops in the large malls seemed to be completely out, while the Best Buy had plenty, they almost seemed desperate to sell some (at about 4pm). In Albany (about 40 miles north of Eugene), I decided to buy my own system at the Target I worked in at about 8pm, and I was only the 4th person to buy one the entire day. Of course the first one I bought happened to have a dead pixel, so that was quickly replaced.
    --DN

I work at a Wal-Mart(sigh) in West Texas and we had plenty of PSP's left today. I personally only sold one, and I think we sold 4 or 5 altogether today. We had MANY calls though to see if we had any in stock. I called all the other stores in my district and they all had plenty. So I think the big retails might be the way to go if the specialty shops start selling out.
    --Jeff A.

The bottom line is that one sold for $237+$16 shipping=$253 and the others sold for a MAX of about $35 over $250 (with shipping included in that price). In other words, once you take out taxes that the original buyer paid, the cut that Ebay takes out, and shipping costs, the Ebay sellers are coming out with about a MAX of $10, and in some cases a significant loss. You know the seller that sold one for $253 (with the cost of shipping included in that price) is kicking himself. Bottom line, it looks like Sony made just enough so Ebay scammers aren't going to make hundreds of dollars off of their product. You may want to return those extra PSPs you have laying around.
    -- Harry

I read the mailbag that Jason replied to, and read where the guy wrote (or typed) about no one buying the PSP...I believe it has sold well so far, but honestly...ok, here's the story. I was going into WalMart to get my job in electronics back (I was a seasonal worker during the holidays, 2004) and I was talking to one of my ex-electronics co workers. She said "Are you here to buy the PSP?" Honestly...I forgot it came out today. I was like "ITS OUT??? OH YEAH!!" And went ahead to look at it. I saw a stock full of PSP's sitting in the glass cases-going nowhere. A sign read "Limit one PSP per household due to shortages" I thought to myself "well that shouldn't be a problem" as I saw NO ONE looking at it and simply passing it buy...seriously, about 10 were gone from the shelves, and this was at about 2:30 pm in the afternoon. The store opens at about 6 in the morning...Sony can't be keeping it on THAT low of a profile where no one's buying it in a local Wal Mart that every one went crazy about the day after thanksgiving for the blitz sale where game boys were only 30 bucks...in other words a lot of people shop there, and a lot of them are gamers. What happened?
    -- Anthony L.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I visited my local Best Buy in downtown Chicago and there were plenty of PSPs to go around. There was a stack of at least 50 PSPs in a display in the middle of the store and this was around 2:00 in the afternoon. After all of the talk of preordering I was surprised that Best Buy (in the busiest part of Lincoln Park) ending up having such a large quantity, especially because they advertised in Sunday's ad about opening early to sell PSPs today. Just thought you'd be interested.
    --Matt

I work for a Best Buy in a major metropolitan area in the Midwest and so far sales haven't been very impressive at all. Our store was allocated 150 units and by the end of the night we still had about 100 units left. Our region, consisting of roughly 10 stores still had 1700 units left, that averages about 170 per store. There are 3 other larger stores in our district that were allocated about 300 units and each of them still had between 200 and 250 units remaining. This couldn't be because of people not knowing because 3/4 of our front page ad this week was on the PSP and launch info.
    --Carverts

I'm a pretty geeky girl, but for some reason, I wasn't excited about the PSP...until four hours before the American launch. At that point, my friends told me that there was no way I was going to get a handheld for quite some time, what with all the pre-orders and massive lines forming in their cities. Just to make sure, I called the local game stores, and they didn't expect me to have a PSP in my hands anytime soon, either. I gave up, and decided to go to Wal-Mart, where...lo and behold, they were stocking the PSP at midnight. I waltzed in an hour before launch-time and stood in one of the most low-key lines (six people, and I live in a decent-sized college town) I've ever seen for any game or hardware release. A couple other guys walked in twenty minutes before midnight, and every one of us left with a shiny new PSP Value Pack. The sales clerk said that they had 80 of the units. And I learned something new. I think any of my fellow gamers who didn't manage to get a PSP yet should check out some secondary sources. Think beyond EB Games, Best Buy, and GameStop, and it might just pay off!
    -- Michelle

Now, I know you are all tired of the bashing/praising PSP threads, but this is the initial response. The main reason why these things aren't selling like hotcakes is the price. Too expensive.

2. MacManDan macrumors 6502

The $250 + $50 game was a little hard for me to choke, but when I sat back and thought about it .. it does more than my iPod. Granted, it doesn't do music very well (it's no "iPod killer") but it plays movies and games for cheaper than I paid for my iPod. I'm glad I made my purchase - but I'm up on the fence about the news. On one hand, it might force game prices down and make me happier; but on the other hand, lukewarm support from consumers means lukewarm support from game developers..

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

4. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

The Best Buy near me had 65-70 PSPs in a glass cabinet as of last night. I wonder how many they started out with. 100?

At the bottom of the cabinet were 3 Nintendo DSs. Don't know what that means, but I was told a day before PSP Launch day that they would sell out the next day. On launch day, there were like 20 people in line with a guy from the local news ready to shoot some video, but he didn't even point the camera at anyone the whole time, and later left. I guess what he saw wasn't really news-worthy.

Europe PSP Launch day may come sooner than everyone thought. Do you think that it will be a success there?

5. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Is it just me, or did the media hype the PSP launch a little TOO much? BBC called it the must-have gadget? :rolleyes: I'm not so sure. I was just expecting for all these market analysts to be correct somewhat. I mean I don't know one store within several hundred miles of me that has sold out of the PSP. Does this mean people have no money? Don't get me wrong, it is a great gadget, but if it is the must-have gadget of 2005, there must be a real lack of gadgets for 2005.

6. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

My local Best Buy, EB Games, and Target had plenty of PSPs available. I think that the issues (dead pixels, malfunctioning buttons, dust under screen, UMD tray latch, etc...) are being publicized a lot more then Sony thought. I think it is scaring people off from spending $250+ on a potentially flawed system regardless of Sony’s return policy.

7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I think so too. I personally wouldn't recommend getting one after the problems I've had...

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

did you ever get those issues sorted out?

no surprise that the launch was less-than-spectacular, its not a console and they are asking big bucks on an iffy system that has yet to prove its worthiness

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

The PSP is really easy to find in the Baltimore area, too.
    I had called BB the night before launch to get a feel for how many systems they had on hand. I was told only 60, so I thought I'd get up around 5.30a and get in line by 6.00a. I woke up at 3.30a, had nothing else to do, so I grabbed some coffee and headed over. Got there at 4.15a, no one else around but the security stooge. People started showing up around 4.30a though, and by 6.30a we had around 30 people there. By 8.01a when they let us in, there were between 50 and 60 people queued up. I was temporarily glad I had gotten in line, since I thought there was a limited supply on hand. I was surprised when the manager informed us that they had received 360 of them. He told me that most stores either got 360 or 180, with some small market BB stores getting only 90.
    They are everywhere. Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy...everyone still has plenty to sell.

Everyone who sees my PSP raves about it, but they all think $250 is too much, especially without a pack-in game. If Sony wants to move these things and build some positive buzz, they'd better drop the price to $199, or even lower.

All that aside, I love my PSP, and I am glad I got one. Wipeout Pure rocks.
    Now all I need is a web browser for this thing.

10. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I think that more than the hardware issues, most people aren't buying because of price. To get a PSP, a decent memstick, and a few games is over $500!!! I have the money to get one, but I just don't see the thing bringing me $500 of fun. That's more than my 6-month gaming budget.

Instead of the PSP I spent my $500 elsewhere. I got a DS, Mario 64 ds, zelda minish cap, splinter cell, lego starwars and still have $180 left.

Offer me a PSP (by itself) for $150 and I'm game. But, I can't see shelling out $100 for headphones, a case, and a crap memstick that I'll either never use or replace immediatly.

11. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Still waiting for ebgames to get their 2nd shipment in... I know it's going to be a mess if they get their 2nd shipment in more than 14 days after I bought it...

or if the one I exchange it with has issues too, which there is a good chance of.

12. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I picked up a PSP and 2 games (Lumines and Untold Legends). Both are very cool and fun (if you like the genres). I've found myself playing Lumines more for a quick fix. The DS is a fine system, but the DS games available (and the fact that it would only play GBA and DS games) stopped my purchase. I've always upgraded my "gameboy" and been able to play all the old GB and GBC games on it. (kind of like upgrading your home computer)

I'm still pleased with the PSP (regardless of price). The screen and graphics are great and I have 2 games I enjoy. I'm looking forward to Gran Turismo 4, Grand Theft Auto and FF. I may do more videos on memory stick once I get an easy way to convert from ms-dvr (Microsoft media center's DRM wrapper) to PSP MPEG4. I can convert just about anything else. It's not worth my time to use it for audio, thats what the ipod is for.

13. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Web browswer you say? Wipeout pure you say? Give this a go!!
    Hidden Browser in Wipeout Pure

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Tell 'em you wanna test it in the store before you take it home. The EBGames here in Charlotte let me open 2 new PSP boxes to find one with no pixel problems. The clerk told me that EBGames has one of the most liberal return/exchange policies in the business, and after what we did at the store, I believe him.

15. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

This is an unfair argument for two reasons. First, the DS is not a Gameboy replacement/upgrade it is an entirely new line of hardware. The fact that it plays GBA games at all is already a plus. Second, it shouldn't be expect for a new handheld game system to make use of games that were created for a different line of product (see the first point) that is already 7 years old (Gameboy Color) let alone one that is 16 years old (Original Gameboy). If you want that level of backwards compatibility, maybe you could wait for the next version of the Gameboy (to be released later this year I believe). It may be backwards compatible that far back.

I do agree that the titles available upon launch of the DS were a little light. I'm waiting for Dynasty Warriors, Age of Empires, Advance Wars DS, or Shogun Warriors to come out before I buy the DS. I love RTS games, and the DS is the way to go in my opinion.

16. LFrascogna macrumors member

It seems that Sony started advertising two days in advance, sent no in store promotional materials, and did not provide display systems. How are you supposed to sell something no one has ever seen? How are you supposed to convince people it has the best screen if they have to buy it to see it?

Even CompUSA has posters and displays out when Apple releases a new OS. Sony didn't do anything.

It is a good commercial though, the Franz Ferdinand song works well.

17. Macamus Prime thread starter macrumors regular

$179 with pack in game (NO MOVIE) would be just fine with me. I would buy it. I'ld even buy it for $199 if there was pack in game and memory card (16MB or even the 8MB for saving games).

18. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Definately not. But i think te reason for lack of sales is the price. Mabey if it was $199 i would even go out and buy it. But it's too much money, plus you have to buy games/movies. So it turns into a huge expense that is not worth it.

19. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Yeah, I agree, the price point is way too high. I wanted to buy one and I calculated that:

PSP is $250, 512 MB memory stick (to play movies) is $80-90, two games are $80-100, $20 dollars for accessories (to protect scratchable screen, etc.) and maybe $25 for an extended warranty (hey, its fragile)

Total with sales tax = $509.25

I am not that willing to play PS2 games on the go.

From a price standpoint, I got a good deal on a DS from gamestop. I traded my gba sp, got a DS for $99 and paid 24.99 for Super Mario DS at Best Buy. With sales tax, $130.18. :D

20. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I bought one since I'm a big gamer, but Sony really blew it with price.

They could have easily released a non-value pack in the states for $179 to match the Japanese price, but they were greedy and wanted to make as much back by adding the value pack crap.

I literally have used nothing from it.

21. Apmonia macrumors regular

The Best Buy I work at had about 120 or so as of yesterday. I think we received about 200. The customers I talked to about it just couldn't pay that much for a handheld unit. Plus the price of the games was way past crazy. Fifty bucks for a game that you can only view on a 4.3 inch screen. I have a hard time ponying up the cash for a fifty dollar console game (with the exception of Resident Evil 4 :) ) Another poster mentioned that EBgames opened units and we did the same thing if the customer wanted it. We had to send back 5 defective units that either had pixels stuck or totally out or they had scratches down the center of the screen.
    It wasn't very hard to talk people into buying the DS though. Once they saw the price and what it could do, we practically sold out of the DS's on the day of the PSP launch. To be fair, we only had twelve DS units in stock but we only had three at the end of the night, so I think Sony may have a bust on its hands here.

Apmonia

22. Studawg7 macrumors regular

game cost and features

i havent picked up the psp yet or know how its doing in my area of VA but i have been looking at the game titles. i love baseball games but i CANNOT justify paying 40-50 dollars for a baseball game that doesnt have the same features as a regular console baseball game that costs 40-50 dollars. I believe the new EA baseball game is said to be similar to the ps2 version but it wont have the indepth franchise/manager modes. This just isnt acceptable. also, dont tell me that portability makes the game cost more. thats a hardware cost not a software cost (especially when many of the games (especially from EA) are ports anyways).

my two cents,
    stu

23. TheGimp macrumors 6502

It's really not appropriate to factor in the cost of a 512MB memory stick when comparing to the cost of the DS since the DS doesn't have the option of playing movies, nor the option of using 512MB sticks for any other purpose. Never fails to amaze me what people will spend on hardware to get a couple of extra frames per second on the handful of available mac games, yet suddenly an extra hundred or so for a slick new portable seems like price gouging. Seems like Apple washes brains better than Sony does.

24. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Just went to my local walmart and there was only one PSP missing from the case. That is, they have more than they can stock on the shelf. Ridge Racers was sold out, but that's it.

A guy was there with his to trade it for one without dead pixels. It's damn sexy in person. I almost bought one, but I realized that I'd have to spend $500. Too expensive for what you get.

Once the price comes down to $150 these things will fly off the shelves.

What sucks is that neither the DS or the PSP launch games are worth a damn (outside of maybe two titles on each system). Hopefully e3 will bring us some good news on the upcoming games.

25. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Actually, this months game informer notes that Nintendo is going to use Divx to put movies on their cards. The bottom screen will be used to control the movie.