PSP Love

Discussion in 'Games' started by ilikeninjas90, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ilikeninjas90 macrumors regular

It seems like everyone here at Macrumors loves the ds

but not too many psp fans out there

Personally

I think they are great, and I feel the features are pretty solid

Any others out there who feel the same?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't find the features solid at all.

Pictures- Somehow one button (related to zooming, IIRC) changed depending on an unseen item. It's very hard to describe as I only played with it for 5 minutes but I found it temperamental.
    Video- Right. So I can't just drop a video file in there? I understand if it has to be a certain codec. but file name?
    Web Browser- Never going to work on such a mini screen. best left to Pocket PC's with VGA resolutions.
    Music- Very limited options, felt like using a first gen MP3 player. No playlist support?

Though to be honest I did only use FW versions 1.5 and 2.0. I resold it on eBay with a minor financial loss, bought myself a 400gb HDD, a DS Lite, Castlevania DS and a DVD-RW with external USB case (slap my face I only have a Combo Drive).
    Don't know why I went for a PSP when I have a Pocket PC that doesn't limit homebrew. Moment of madness :) I mean why the f**k would Sony chose not to have an SD card slot in there? Don't they know how many people have cameras that use SD cards?

3. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

If the PSP actually had some games that I wanted to play then I would be all over it. I am pretty frustrated with Nintendo of America refusing to offer some of the great things that Japanese DS users get in this country.

The PSP has web and mp3/mpeg4 playback out of the box. The DS could have the media playback features if Nintendo would offer the Play-Yan Micro (especially a DS version) in this country. Also, there hasn't been a US release date for the Opera browser and there may never be if what I have been reading on the Opera DS forums is any indication. Finally, there still is no DS Lite rumble-pak on the shelves WTF? I understand offering some of the features that the PSP has as add-ons instead of built-in to keep costs down but I don't understand not having these accesories on the shelf right next to the DS so that buyers can decide if they want them or not. At least offer them as a special order item from Nintendo of America's site...

Finally, Nintendo has a great games library but there are some gaps like in fighting games. This one could easily be filled with Bleach which is a huge hit in Japan but I will never know because there isn't an American version. It is frustrating sometimes being an Apple fan too as I don't always know what the company is going to do product-wise but Nintendo is 10 times worse! When they get classic PS1 games like FFVII and MGS it might be worth my attention but the games on the DS are the main reason why I have it rather than a PSP whether I'm disappointed or not...The PSP is a gaming device but Sony focuses more on its mulitimedia capabilities...

4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I thought this is supposed to be a true PSP lover thread? :rolleyes:

5. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I hav both a psp and ds, i prefer the ds, it is more fun

6. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Well I kinda am a fan...I would love to have one...there is just one problem...games...

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Haven't you heard if you use a Mac you have to hate everything Sony? :rolleyes:

I've owned both consoles and they are both great at what they do. Now that memory cards for the PSP are cheap it's even better for multimedia, personally I sold mine though since I wasn't using it at all. I still have a DS but I'll be honest I don't use it anymore either. In Australia there really isn't any good software for the DS, call me crazy but the whole idea of "brain training" seems pretty lame to me. At the moment though I'd say we have better games on the PSP than the DS.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea that works. Just as the best headphones I use are Sony along with one of favourite consoles of yesteryear. LOGIC FTW.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You aren't seriously saying this forum isn't full of Sony haters raggedjimmi?

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm saying people have their reasons. Every other piece of Sony kit I've owned has failed on me, though our old PS1 did need a new laser 2 years after purchase. If people make faulty electronics then it's their fault and the public shouldn't be blamed for backlash. bad experiences mean bad comments. simple as.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I like SOME psp features.

Its A LOVE/HATE relationship for me.

LOVE that the screen is bright and love the size and ratio.. BUT HATE the refresh rate and blurring that results really iritates me and makes it uncomfortable, undoing the good mentioned prior.

LOVE the d-pad and buttons, but HATE! analog nub (sucks ass)

LOVE! The original games, Lumines & Mercury & LocoRocco all are amazing. HATE!! the Ps2 ports iritate me and the controls dont work well on the psp / handheld device. period.

However I do find DS titles better, and the brightness, dual screen and VERY GOOD refresh rate on the new DS Lite is much better than the PSP and even though psp has WiFi, there are less games to play online compared to the DS. Most of the DS titles are original too rather than just poor ports with bad loading times and poor controls.....

:)

12. ictiosapiens macrumors regular

For me it was the neverending loading times that made me sell my psp after a month... On a portable, they are just unacceptable. You are on the Tube, you turn the psp on, and by the time you are actually playing, you are near your stop and have to turn it off again... None of that with solid memory like the DS. Owning a propietary solid memory format, that can hold up to 4 GB, I just can't understand why Sony had to push that ridiculous format UMD which is not going anywhere...

They could even start some sort of Itunes system to sell the games over the internet, straight into your memory sticks pro high speed and reduce those loading times to a tolerable level...

Just my experience...

13. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

my Psp is fine. the only reason i didn't get the ds was graphics. and there is one amazing game death Jr. which actually has a decent aiming system. but alas i need money and i am trying to sell it, but i don't have enough posts for marketplace.

14. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

I have to admit that with my 1gb mem stick - I use my psp more than I do my ipod. When I go into tokyo - I browse the web, listen to music on the train, play a game, show my mates some photos and watch a movie coming back home....its fantastic......

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i was reading the old threads about the last gen console war, and PS2 was the winner, with GameCube and then xBox(mostly because it was made by MS) Either the forums have changed a lot, or the forum user changed their minds(i think its a little of both)

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I love the PSP...its a great machine. I have the DS as well but its getting boring to me just like a couple of months when I first got my Lite and the PSP as collecting dust. I'm showing support for both handhelds because they are both good.

Bless

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i just think sony tried to do simply to much with it...

+the screen is high class .. so are the buttons on the right
    -on the other side the analog thingy is nearly impossible to use comfortable and the shoulder buttons are more design feature than comfortable ... and of course the separated d-pad is still not as good as it could be

+it plays movies
    -for which sony sacrificed short loading times which is handheld requirement

+it plays music
    -but for a mp3 player it's quite a brick to carry around

+it displays photos
    i can't really find a negative thing for that except that perhaps most people wanting to display photos can do so on their digital camera as well
    if the psp had a camera it would make more sense to me to have this feature

+browser
    -no keyboard or mouse ... without trying it doesn't sound like a lot of fun

personally i think it's an ok machine especially from power and screen and features but the whole thing ends up doing everthing ok instead of doing 2-3 really great

at least sony didn't fell for putting a phone into it as Nokia did (actually the NGAGE had quite a lot of features too)

18. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

There's a video on YouTube about a match of WWF some game that takes nearly SEVEN MINUTES to load! OMG! WTF?

That's way too long. My goodness.

19. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Finally...some love...:D

20. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

finally picked up a DS...

I've owned the PSP for awhile now and played probably 30+ games on it (thanks to gamefly.com) but it never really grew on me the same way that my new DS has managed to. Two days ago I broke down and bought a DS from my local Toys'r'Us along with Mariokart DS and Tetris DS. I haven't been able to put the darn thing down since I got it home. The touch screen makes the games so much more fun to interact with and is surprisingly accurate (seems like a decent quality touch screen).

I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if it hadn't been the newer lite version with all it's added improvements. Perhaps this is just the honeymoon period but the DS so far has absolutely blown my PSP away in terms of playability and fun. Count me in on the DS bandwagon baby!

NINTENDO RULEZ!

edit: Just picked up Brain Age for something a little different and I think it's great. Not really a "game" in the traditional sense but still a great lil' brain exercise game.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Heres the big difference.

Last night I was having a dinner party (ooh lah di dah) and during the conversation afterwards we were talking about Soduko and puzzles.

I gave a group of people in their late 50's a go on my DS Lite with BrainAge and by the end of the night every single one of them was addicted.

When I brought out the psp, they just looked at it, and passed a quick comment and when they tried soduko psp they didnt enjoy it and it was soon relegated, turned off and put back on the shelf.

The DS really does have somthing, graphics aren't everything, ease of use and accessabilty are. The DS has redefined handheld gaming and Nintendo have managed to create somthing that has appeal outside the 'teen boy toy' bracket.. Somthing the psp has not.

If Nintendo can do the same with Wii - they will really have somthing next gen. A machine to revolutionise what 'gaming' is.....

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can relate to that in a lesser extent. A friends mum is hugely addicted to Brain Training, she had a play in some shop (don't know which, though it wasn't a game shop) bought it and has pretty much stolen her sons DS. Everyone under that roof has become addicted to Brain Training now and they're all planning on buying pink and blue DS Lites soon as they're out here. From what I've gathered they're also pining for that "42 all time classics".

I don't know how much PSP exposure the family have had. It's either not that good a device to them or Sony aren't advertising it like Nintendo are doing.

23. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ok back to PSP love...

The PSP is a nice device because:

1. It has built-in web browsing
    2. It has built-in mp3/mpeg4 viewing
    3. It can be used as a mobile picture viewer
    4. It has a super nice screen
    5. Homebrew is easy to install with only a memory stick
    6. It has better graphics
    7. It has downloadable content
    8. It will have classic PS1 games for download in the future
    9. It will have GPS in the future. (I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere)
    10. It does support online play

Obviously, as I stated earlier, I don't have one for reasons listed. With a few improvements hardware and especially software wise, I could see myself wanting one.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

About the screen - I honestly found the screen disgusting. It was like looking at an Aston Martin but realising the steering wheel was covered in barbed wire. I'm just wondering if folk here take into consideration the horrible ghost-like refresh rate when commenting about the bright and vibrant screen?

25. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

You do have a point about ghosting but overall it is a pretty nice screen...