PSP --> Mac syncing program reviews?

Discussion in 'Games' started by wbrowne1, Mar 25, 2005.

1. wbrowne1 macrumors member

Aug 28, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now that the PSP has launched (much to the dismay of all the DS fanboys we have on the boards ;) ), has anyone tried iPSP or PSPware yet?

Mine should be here next week, but I'm dying to find out how well these things work, especially the video encoding aspect.

Has anyone tried messin' around with some VOB's or mpegs?
  2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

May 1, 2003
    I use iPSP, works great, no problems at all. I uploaded mp3's conveted a .vob file (DVD file) to mp4 and uploaded and worked great. I also put a few pictures on there, it worked flawless. I will have to purchase the full version once the trial runs out. Haven't used PSPware, and the link that you provided seems to lead to a empy page.
  3. wbrowne1 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 28, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I fixed the link, just have to click on the PSPware logo.

Hmm, have you tried encoding an episode of a certain cartoon starring Peter Griffin? How are the filesizes?

Also, if you are in LA and also a Family Guy fan, are you gonna go see Family Guy Live at the Wiltern on 4/15? I'm going to the 11pm show, can't wait.
  4. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    iPSP works fine here too, but imho the movie part needs work - I have movies on my PSP but iPSP keeps telling me there is no movie directory on the PSP. Other than that it's a great app.
  5. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    I'm reluctant to purchase '1st rev.' Sony products (three broken PS2 units), and also, I'm buying a $1,000 digital SLR - not enough cash for the PSP right now - not to mention, the lack of 'good games'.

However, I am interested and I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions (and yes, I know that buying a 'Creative Media Player' is a better solution for a 'portable media center'):

1) Have you stumbled across any deals for the memory sticks? If I'm going to load movies and tv episodes onto this thing - is it possible to do it without spending $350 to get two (nice) 1GB sticks?

2) What are the file sizes for a full-length movie (compressed to fit onto the memory stick) or a half-hour TV episode? Is the quality any good?

3) How long does it usually take to convert movies and television shows to the PSP-friendly format?

4) How long does it take to transfer the files over the USB bus? I'm assuming this is USB 2.0 - however, I'm far too lazy to go and look for myself, heh.

And that's all I can come up with for now. Hope you're enjoying them. Post movie clips of the PSP in action if you can. :)
  6. shortyjj macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm wondering the same things. Ripping movies seems like a good idea in general, but I've never tried.

Someone posted earlier a deal for a $112 1gig stick.