PSP Movies

Discussion in 'Games' started by carpe diem, Sep 20, 2005.

1. carpe diem macrumors 6502

I am in the process of putting a legal dvd I own onto my PSP and it is taking for ever in the PSP Ware stage. Is this normal? Also how many of you psp owners buy UMD movies?
    Thank You

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hm, I'm not sure what the legalness of that is; if you're cracking the DVD encryption, this thread may be locked.

And yes, it is a HORRIBLY stupid law, but you're not allowed to crack the encryption on a DVD you own.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i also hear the max res you can have for playing vids off the Memory stick is 320x200. though that may have been in old software, or maybe in a dream.

4. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Well I'm not 100% sure, as soon as a mod sees this he'll either lock it or won't, as he'll know the board policy on the matter.

6. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Exactly how long is it taking? I haven't compressed a DVD yet, but I put a 40MB music video on mine and it took about 6-7 minutes. (Oh BTW, I'm typing this from my PSP! Got it last night and I'm loving it!) :D

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

the word is legality for future reference :p ...Yeah i have nothing else really important to say, but when they are done being ripped what's the audio/video quality like?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The legality depends on the country you are in!

It does take ages as it is not simply copying the data but transcoding the MPEG file to another MPEG file at the correct resolution for the PSP. For reference it took around 20-30minutes to do a 25 minute file on my 1.25Ghz PowerBook.

10. carpe diem thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you it is actually taking 45 mins for a gig vob file!!! By the way how do i get the subtitles onif it is not default?

Thanks so much

And for the reference i am in Nigeria ;) (if you dont get it, they dont have copyright laws)

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ah, then it is not illegal for you ;)

12. TheGimp macrumors 6502

320x200 is the built-in limit, but there are ways around that provided that one obeys the ~76,800 (unsure of exact #) pixel limit. Using the latest version of PSPware lets one import movies at 368x208 for 16:9 movies, and look good to very good(not nearly as good as UMD which uses 480x240, h.264 codec) at highest quality settings, producing a ~500mb file for a 110 minute movie at those settings. Another way around the 320x200 limit is to first encode a movie at 368x208 using an app such as ffmpegxx set to "psp", and then use the free terminal app "PspRez" to append a header to the file which fools the PSP into thinking it's 320sx200.

Both methods have worked for me, but PSPware is my preferred way of doing it. The only advantage of FFmpegxx/Psprez is that ffmpegxx allows exact bitrate control, but sometimes produces movies that don't play correctly once imported to the psp (i.e. sound not synced correctly)

I don't buy UMD movies, but may start renting a few from gamefly.com. They have a whole bunch and the service is a bargain.

My psp came with Spiderman 2 which looks fantastic. Better than DVD except for the lower resolution. This may seem contradictory but the h.264 codec is so much better that very few motion artifacts (i.e. pixellation, jaggies on edges) are noticeable and color saturation is excellent.

2 cents

13. Loke macrumors member

I dont think the UMD video sale for the PSP will be a success, unless they start selling the movies bundled with a DVD disc also. It will cost the producer very little money, however I would definately shop for UMD movies with bundled DVD versions when buying movies. I cant really justify buying a UMD movie only, for the same price (or more) I pay for a DVD movie.

14. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I believe UMD movie sales stands somewhere inbetween one third and half of all UMD-sales, which is not so bad. Still, 160 NOK for the 1979 Alien-movie.. whoa! That's rediculous even for our prices!

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

exactly :) how the hell they can get away with that is beyond me, if not legally then socially! surely people wouldn't pay. but they do. oh they do.