PsP noob questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by quigleybc, Sep 26, 2006.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Hi,

I'm considering trading in my Xbox and PS2 for a PSP at Electronic Boutique.

I can get 60 bucks for each console, and throw in a little of my own cash and get a PSP, it's very tempting.

But, I don't know much about the PSP.

What all can it do?

I see that I will need to buy an extra Memory stick and a USB cord.

And it seems to work with OS X.

Obviously, I'm a n00b with this thing.

How does it "browse the web?" that must cost extra ...right ?

and transfering files from the Mac....can it be used like a portable HD and transfer files from my Mac at home to my PC at work?

are the games good? I like RPG's a lot, and sports games...

Any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks !

:)

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I know nothing about the psp, but if you are only going to get $60 for your xbox and ps2, you might want to consider selling them somewhere else...like ebay, craigslist, or the marketplace. They are both worth over $60.

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

To browse the web you will need a wireless router like an Airport Extreme base station. If you're going to want to play lots of games, I suggest getting the Nintendo DS.

BTW: I suggest buying a program called PSPWare (mac and winblows). it will make your life easier.

4. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

If you're going to want to watch movies or mess around with homebrew software, the PSP is a killer machine. The DS seems like a cheap toy compared to it, but the DS has a ton of really innovative games available for it. I never played games on my PSP, and I play my DS all the time. This is just my personal experience, for what it's worth.

It doesn't have a hard drive at this point, so you can't use it to transfer stuff (well, besides using its memory stick...better to get a memory stick reader for that). You need a wireless access point to go online, and the experience is painful at best. The sports games on the PSP are probably better than on the DS, I don't play them, so I don't know. The DS has some pretty good RPGs, and more on the way. I recommend the DS.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

heyyy another vancouver boy, go nucks go ;)

I would only get a PSP if you literally want a portable playstation. The best games are the GTA's (hopefully Vice City Stories is sweet), Syphon Filter, NHL, Madden, etc. Loco Roco is about the most orignal game I have played on it. If you want PS2 on the go then the PSP is sweet. 1GB pro duos are so cheap now that the price doesnt hurt as much as it did a year ago. I get a movie, some south park episodes and a bunch of MP3's on mine, works nicely. The webbrowser kinda works, ok if you just wanna check a score or a quick tidbit of info but it ain't all that hot (typing words sucks with the psp)

6. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I don't like the PSP. If you plan on mostly watching media (movies, music, etc) get an iPod and save money. If you plan on playing games, get a DS, as I personally find the PSP game selection is medicore and the DS selection is great.

If you want to browse the web...well PSP web browsing sucks. Trust me I've tried it before.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The guy asked about the PSP not if he should get a DS or PSP so just tell the man what he wants to know.

If you have a wireless router then you will be able to get online with the PSP although it is slow.

PSPware is great with Macs and you can transfer files with it. There are a lot of good games out for the PSP. My favorites:

LocoRoco
    Gardius collection
    Lumines
    Tekken
    SP: Dark Mirror
    SOCOM
    Wipeout Pure
    Tokobot

There are some great Rpgs out there but im not into them...check IGN.com

Bless

8. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Thanks guys.

thanks Riggz, Vancouver in the house for sure.

Basically, I don't play my Xbox or PS2 that much, i only gotst one TV, and in the evening it gets occupied by the G friend....so, a portable vid machine would be convenient.

At EB they'll give you 60 bucks for each system, so $120, plus a game or two, should get it up to $140. So I throw in 40 beans, and buy a memory stick, rent a game or two and that's it.

i figure it's better than just letting the two consoles collect dust, and I don't know about the DS, I've tried it and I feel the same way I feel about the other Cube Nintendo games....they're just too youth oriented for my tastes.

How do the game work? Do you go to a store and buy a disc or cartridge? Or is it like you download games from a PSP website (legally) as a disc image?

I guess I should just go get one and find out....This kid was playing a PSP on the TV show House last night through the whole damn episode....why is it when you want something you start seeing it everywhere?

:)

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

very few are. Lots of poor PS2 ports. IMHO it would be a mistake to buy a PSP.

At least read this : Should we consider the PSP dead?

10. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Wow, that thread has me even more confused, all sorts of positive and negative opinions on there....

hmmmm, I'll check out the games for the DS too I guess, but I like the ability to watch video's on the PSP.

11. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

If you really want a psp, dont get butt raped by ebgames/gamestop, sell them on ebay and then buy your psp on ebay, you can easily get a used psp on ebay for 100 to 150 bucks. If you do get a psp make sure you get one with a 1.5 firmware or just downgrade it so you can play emulators on it :), thats about the only good thing you can do with the psp because the games suck, you'll need to get a bigger memory stick though. If i was you I would get a ds lite, but thats just me.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The video feature is good and seeing that UMD's are being pulled now, well they should be cheap... in theory. in the past few weeks I've seen UMD bundles (buy 2 get 1 free etc) trying to flog them whilst they can.

The games? GTA was terrible, a poor, poor cousin to the console versions. GTA is best left to the big screen IMO. Didn't get chance to play Loco Roco but it's supposed to be "it feels like a Nintendo game" good. Can't really say much for the racers - Wipeout has slippy physics, Ridge Racer was just okay (dull tracks?) and Burnout has a very bad traffic draw distance.
    I can't rate the games I played high.

Pocket PC's are better for video though. but they don't do games as well.

13. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Thanks Ragged, I know you know your Vids...

I'm not a big fan of Ebay, maybe I'll check out Craigslist....and I have no intention of being butt raped if I can help it. ;)

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I have to agree, agree with GUSTO!

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER trade or sell anything to a game store.

YOU WILL BE RIPPED OFF!!!!!

I dont speak from experience but from employee knowledge (couple of friends over the years).

If you can get $60 at Gamestop you can get WAY more than that on eBay or a forum sale.

Unless there is something at the store YOU MUST HAVE, there is no way that any deals or specials they may have will actually benefit you.

Sell them elsewhere.

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The reviews say different as well as the new one coming out in october. Soon the PSP will be able to play PS1 games via Sony online market which should be nice....I think the games run from $5-$10. More games will be coming out before this year end that will be top notch...not ports but originals.

Get a bigger Mem stick for movies and don't waste your time buying movie UMD. Games come package just like PS2 games in a slimmer case and round from $19.99 to $40.00.

Homebrew is fun but risky beacause you can brick your machine trying to do that but if you are feeling froggy then jump onboard:)

Bless

16. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Gotta love all of the opinions in this thread- it is truely impossible to start a simple video game console thread- he never asked if he should get a DS or which is better.

Personally, I LOVE my PSP- and I hate sony. I'll admit it. There are some really great PSP games, especially if you like sports.

Loco Roco
    Hot Shots Golf
    MLB 06: The Show
    Lumines
    PQ (very coool portable game!)

I play MLB every night- I don't even play a console baseball game any more. Loco Roco is seriously when of the best games I have played in years- every time I play it, anyone in the room is like "what the hell is that?!?!? Can I play???? (just listen to the music in the game :))

17. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Right on, I hear what you're trying to say.

I should at least try and sell these two consoles on Craiglist before I bail and go to EB to get ripped off.

It is tough to ask questions about vid consoles or handhelds...everyone seems to have their own stong opinion.

I need to do more research...

I'll admit, I'm equally intrigued with the portal video device, as I am with the portable gaming device. I don't have a 5G iPod, so I've been wanting that portable video factor for a while.

Thanks again everyone !

PS, anyone want a used X box and Ps2 for more than $60 beans each ?

lol :p

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

It used to be $80 for a used XBOX...from EB etc.

but I am sure they still charge the same, $120+ when a new one is $150-180.

sigh.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My brother sold his Xbox recently, modchip installed and a bigger HDD. Originally bought for £130 it was sold for £100. Best bet is to ask around and try and sell it locally like he did.

20. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Here is my take.

PsP noob questions

What all can it do? Mine collects dust on my bookshelf.

I see that I will need to buy an extra Memory stick and a USB cord. Yes this is true but there are a bunch of media programs that come with a cable. The programs allow for transferring video to the psp.

And it seems to work with OS X. There is this great application called IPSP that works great with my mac when I use it.

Obviously, I'm a n00b with this thing.

How does it "browse the web?" that must cost extra ...right ? No but you need to be able to access a wifi connection. It is slow and the controls are horrible in my opinion.

and transfering files from the Mac....can it be used like a portable HD and transfer files from my Mac at home to my PC at work? Yes but you need to have a big enough memory stick. I have seen 2 Gig sticks for around $100.

are the games good? I like RPG's a lot, and sports games... I have been very disappointed by the games. I enjoyed Lumines, Star Wars Battlefront 2, GTA Liberty Stories, Tekken, and I liked the Harry Potter game although most people hated it.

Any replies would be appreciated.

I purchased a DS lite and I have enjoyed it much more than I have my PSP. But I still have hope for the PSP. They need to make better games and make the UMD movies cheaper.

21. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

he sold his XBOX for less than he paid?

wasnt the chip and HDD worth something?

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oh heavens no. A non-chipped Xbox goes for something like £60. a chip adds next to no value and the HDD is only 30gb. £100 for an Xbox with no games and just 1 controller is quite an achievement I reckon!

23. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i would say that i agree. although the PSP looks cool and has that really big nice screen, there is only a few "good" games-- and even some of those are questionable. i also feel you could get much much more the $140 if you sold the systems that you want to sell on ebay.

24. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Thanks that's a great reply

I don't know what to do.....:confused:

A lot of people don't use, or like their PSP...

And, I'm totally going to try and sell the consoles on Craigslist.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mate. The best thing you can do now is try and borrow a PSP. My situation was I saw them for a while, didn't care less. Then played a couple of games which got me into it. Instead of playing some more I went out and bought one. Few days in I realised that it was a mistake, that I was just content playing a little bit on one.

But seriously. Don't be fooled by the first impressions, it's great at first but it does fade. Out of all the gadgets I've had this had the biggest anti-climax. Followed by my Pocket PC. Try try try!