PSP or DS ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by phill1234, Apr 25, 2006.

1. phill1234 macrumors member

phill1234

Well im going on a trip with my class for school... and its a 8 hours bus drive and wanted to buy one of those portable consoles... wanted to know wich one to buy and why ? Thanks alot for your suport

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I own, and have used both. And i personally prefer the PSP over the DS so much, that i haven't touched my DS in over a year. The game selection, interface, power, etc. is all better on the PSP. also, you can watch movies on it (for those of us without a iPod with Video) and such.

-yankeefan

EDIT: Also, from experience on this forum, you will get a lot of people saying to get the DS. The only reason I can see for this (besides any of the opinion one's i have seen so far) is that Sony makes 1) windows laptops/desktops, 2) Sony makes MP3 players, and 3) Sony makes some other things that compete with Apple.

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That all depends on the games you like.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the PSP will not last 8 hours.

A small amount of digging shows the PSP at 4-6 hours and then DS at 6-10 hours.

EDIT: And personally, as foreseen by yankeefan, I would prefer the DS. This is because of games primarily. I like the selection on DS more myself, and being able to play GBA games on it is a huge bonus for me... tons of great new and classic games all relatively cheap now.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

DS, having nothing to do witha Sony and what it does out side of the Computer world.

DS is cheaper, it has some great game Metroid Prime hunters, Mario Kart DS, and since this is really only for one trip, a less expensive DS might be good(if you don't use it it less then a PSP)

Some people think the PSP graphics make it great, and i agree that it nice, so nice that I also most bought it, but after adding the price up its just to much.

PSP-199/249
    Game-30-50
    Moive 20-30
    1GB Memory Stick 80
    HeadPhones-20(if you buy the 199 Model)
    Case-20

DS
    129-DS
    Games-20-35

Also think this throught, don't waste you $$ for one trip

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Totally depends on the games. IIRC most PSP games aren't scoring very well. Plus you're just buying into watered down PS2 games.

Whereas the DS is pretty good. I've heard from a lot of people, I think 1 or 2 from this forum too, saying that the DS is the best system to date. DS having Metroid Hunters, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Advance Wars. All selling by the bucket load. All very good games, I've NEVER played a game with as much precision as Metroid Hunters, never had as much fun in a racing game as Mario Kart, never liked a Tony Hawk game as much as the DS offering. And then there's stuff like Kirby, which is damn damn fine. And the official digital crack in the portable world - Advance Wars.
    The DS is a very nifty system. Plus the DS Lite screen is incredibly bright, puts the PSP to shame. the battery life, free and populated wifi, cheap system and cheap games. Hard to fault. And there's that Nintendo's 1-dead pixel return policy.
    Maybe it's me, but the PSP feels like it has to prove something still. Counter intuitive games like Lemmings and the FPS-offerings don't help either. Have yet to play either of them smoothly.

This thread is going to end in tears.

^edited a mistake up there^

6. snakelda macrumors 6502

I personally prefer the PSP....

7. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I am sorry, but your comparison makes little sense.
    Why do you need movies for a PSP if you have a 1 gb stick (which can be gotten for less than $80)? If he just wants to play games on the trip, a 32mb that it comes with is perfectly adequate. If he wants a lot of music (ie needing a bigger mem card) he should not use the PSP for that.
    Also, you listed the lowest to highest range on PSP games, so why leave out the $40 DS games?
    You don't need to buy headphones for the PSP, any you have (with a normal size pin) will work, or you don't need headphones for it at all.
    My PSP case was only 10 bucks and it is perfect and protects the PSP.

8. DinoAdventure macrumors member

DinoAdventure

1GB memory sticks go for around $40-$50 bucks these days. And definitely don't waste any money on UMD movies, just convert the movies you already have and put that 1 gig stick to good use. There are also a lot of great Homebrew games out there for the PSP, no matter which firmware you have.

Personally I have never used the DS so I can't comment on it. However, I really enjoy my PSP.

Here's a 1GB on amazon, but there are cheaper ones out there. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f=pd_bbs_4/103-5708961-0264651?_encoding=UTF8

Also, search around the PSP sites for the "super battery" project, you can make an external battery out of a bunch of alkalines that will last for 100 hours or something crazy like that.

9. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'd go with a DS. PSP is practically twice the price for one. The DS plays not only DS but also GBA games so you are talking hundreds of choices. Plus it's cheaper, games are cheaper, no load time, longer battery life, much smaller to carry and it's not a high theft item (comparing it to a DS).

Try the demo in stores, I know Best Buy has both systems out to try and judge for yourself. If I had the money i'd get both because both systems have some good games coming in the next 8 months. But overall I still like DS's future :)

10. ToddW macrumors 6502a

IMHO the PSP

well, i would recommend the PSP for the following:

Plays movies, games, and music. so, you could have all of that in one package. I was on a pretty long flight from seattle a few weeks ago, and i was watching a movie on my ipod well the guy next to me was watching a movie on his psp, and i thought watching the movie on the psp was better. but that is just my opinion.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just thought it might be worth mentioning - you can pick up something called the M3 Adapter for the DS. Which lets you watch videos, music etc, all that multimedia stuff. It takes MMC/SD and CF cards which are (in the UK) a bajillion times cheaper than Sony's memory sticks.

If you want multimedia and no restrictions on emulators/apps etc you could just buy a GP2X. Which are very cheap too, and take SD. They're not popular but they play games, run linux which can invariably do anything a handheld computer can do.

12. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I would go with the DS, and the PSP is just a portable PS2 and I got bored of the PS2. The main thing I've realized with the DS is games are *fun* again. Yes, I had some fun playing games on PS2 and the like, especially with friends, but I never really realized that the games themselves were no longer fun until I picked up my DS and found fun games again (Mario and Luigi, Partners in time, thank you!).

Hmmm, I didn't know that, thanks.

For those who don't know, you don't need to buy Metroid Prime: Pinball to get a rumble pack for the DS. You can order one from Nintendo, costs about $15 included shipping, or so I was told by the person who got my one as a gift :).

13. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

as far as game selection goes, it's up to each persons opinion; but as far as i'm concerned, the DS has a much better selection. I have neither system(yet anyways), but i have yet to see a psp game that interests me, whereas i have quite the list of DS games i really want to play(metroid, and that new mario game to name a few).

yankeefan24: I am not in any way biased against sony because they make a few products that compete with apple. in fact, i'm currently listening to some music from my $300 sony receiver with my $150 sony studio headphones plugged in. I don't think its a very fair argument to just dismiss people on these forums who prefer the DS as being biased against sony... :rolleyes:

14. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

If you read my previous post, you will see that i said that in all the cases i have seen. I don't go onto the Games section that much, but in some threads i have seen, i have seen statements like, "Get the DS because Sony is evil." I interpret that as being, " Get the DS because Sony makes products that compete with Apple." I was just warning the OP that these posts may occur. Sorry for any confusion.

-yankeefan

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Depends on the games you like...if you like the nintendo flavor then head towards the DS...if you like the GTA, Socom type games then the PSP is you.

Bless

16. therevolution macrumors 6502

You could also interpret it as "Sony installs malicious rootkits through their audio CDs without telling anyone." But that wouldn't stick it to the Apple fanboys quite as well, I suppose. Not that I care, but still.

I vote for the DS. Mine is great.

17. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

i have both as well...

and i love them both for different reasons...

I say the DS currently has the most interesting games... I love my metroid prime and mariokart.

BUT me and my katamari, lumines, and wipeout are friggin awesome too.

The DS is MUCH cheaper.

I would also say that I really would wait if at all possible to get a DS lite...

Oh, and animal crossing is sweet.

oh, and metroid pinball.

oh, and street fighter alpha on the PSP.

If you are a true gamer, i can't see how you could not get both... (short of not having the money of course) but if you love videogames, neither system is "bad" their are great games made for every system. It's all what you like.

18. turbodub macrumors regular

I've had both. Had a PSP and returned it after 28 days. By day 20 or so, I was bored of it and it's games.

I now have a DS Lite and I'm loving it. The graphics on the DS don't compare to the PSP, but the games are just more fun.

Just my 2 cents.

19. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I'm in the same boat as you minus the long trip. I've decided to wait out for the DS Lites because 1.) I know I'm getting a Revolution (unless, ya know, I die or something *knock on wood*) and I thought I read somewhere that they would somehow sync with each other via the Wi-Fi between the two components. 2.) IMO I think the games will be more interesting with the two screens and the games are overall cheaper on the DS than the PSP

But I'm not going to leave out the fact that the PSP is a great looking machine and with all the bells and whistles with the Web Browser and the iPod like attributes (Music playback, video/photo viewing) it might be a better buy...

In conclusion, I'm gonna get a DS because I like Mario....he's Super

20. rumbletum macrumors regular

I've had them both since launch (and now have 2 of each), and have no beef to grind with either Nintendo or Sony having owned all their major consoles.

If you'd have asked me this question a month after owning them both I'd have said PSP is the one to go for with out any shadow of a doubt. It's technically way ahead of the DS, has that wow factor, the screen is amazing and basically everything about it seems nicer. I remember at the time posting on another forum that the DS "feels like a cheap plastic toy".

However, if you asked me now which one I'd recommend, the DS would win hands down for one reason only, and the main reason people buy consoles, the games. Currently on the DS there are dozens of games I'm interested in, and hardly any on the PSP that appeal to me. DS games seem more likely to be designed for gaming on the move, whereas the PSP stuff seems to be just your regular type of games. Yes the extra features the PSP offers are nice, but I have other equipment that can do that stuff just as well.

I think the best thing for you to do, is take a look at the games available, choose which ones that most interest YOU, factor in whether the cost difference is important to you, and then make your decision.

Oh, and try to ignore the fanboy rantings that this question will cause :)

21. SamJ macrumors member

yep its all about DS. do u no what its like to play mario DS/64.Man it brings a tear to yur eye to remember N64 memories in your hand. Also the DS Lite is purty

22. LastLine macrumors 65816

Those figures are nonsense - sorry they really are.

If you're comparing like for like you don't need to worry about the movie or a 1gig memory card. A small small card only costs a few bucks off ebay.

Not saying your point isn't valid, but your figures are crazy.

23. phill1234 thread starter macrumors member

phill1234

Yeah... i was more thinking of a mario like game... So i should go with the DS ?

24. turbodub macrumors regular

Not sure when your trip is, but a new Super Mario Bros. sidescroller is coming out on May 15th for the DS. It looks like it's going to be awesome.

Some other comments:

I agree that the PSP has the total wow factor, and it straight out looks/feels better than the DS. There's pretty much no question that the PSP system is better than the DS system, but most would argue that the DS games are better than the PSP games.