[psp/ps3] R.i.p Umd?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Abulia, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Interesting article on UMD support waning, and in some cases dropped (Source):
    Okay, now my point isn't to belittle the PSP or Sony, but to draw a parallel to the strategy of Sony, Blu-Ray, and the PS3. Consider the sale of the PSP (15 million units shipped by the end of 2005) and the "forced adoption" of the UMD format. Large installed based ='s automatic sales of movies, right?

Except that doesn't seem to be the case.

Now, of course, the PSP is a portable device and the PS3 is actually targeting a slightly different market segment, but the end marketing result is the same: sell the hardware to artificially create demand for our new proprietary format.

Since Universal and Image Entertainment have dropped support, and Paramount, 20th Century Fox, and Buena Vista are rethinking their UMD strategy (Source), what's the chance they'll also reconsider their Blu-Ray strategy? What about studios that were on the fence on Blu-Ray and are looking at the PSP/UMD sales figures before making a decision? Which way do you think they might be leaning.

If you were in charge what would you do?

2. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Gah. Preview mucked up my thread title. Sorry about that!

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The UMD movies didn't work out because of the mem. sticks and people not wanting to pay the same price as regular DVDs for some crappy disk that can only be used on the PSP and only the movies not the extras....it had to flop sooner or later.

UMB and Blu-Ray are different....it doesnt have the limit as per say the UMD...i see no problem here. Blu-Ray will just add more to the DVD plate not like the UMD being only for the PSP.

Bless

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't think you can compare UMD to Blu-ray.

UMD is pretty much exclusively only for the PSP. How many people are really going to pay for a movie on the PSP, when they can get a similarly priced DVD. It's just seemed like a bad idea to me. Blu-ray on the other hand, will be available for many different devices (PS3, DVD players, computers, etc)

Blu-ray is not really proprietary like UMD. Blu-ray is backed and being developed by other companies than just Sony. Either Blu-ray or HD-DVD will win (or both). Just as many companies are invented in each.

5. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'm not trying to compare the technologies, I'm trying to compare the marketing strategies. There are strong parallels.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The marketing strategies are different because the technologies are different. UMD was forced upon the PSP users if they wanted to watch movies. Blu-ray is not being forced upon you.

You'll use Blu-ray disks for PS3 games, but this is no different than any other gaming system's games. Games are not interchangeable with other systems, so it doesn't matter what disk format they use.

Plus, you have a choice when deciding on a movie disk player. Keep the DVD player, get a HD-DVD player, or get a Blu-ray player.

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm not sure what the parallel is. Sony hardware?

UMD only runs/ran on the PSP, while BR will be supported by machines made by various companies. People won't be "locked" into the Sony hardware. And the opposite (BR machines only play BR disks) would bode badly for HD-DVD as well. As long as the machine is backwards compatible, I don't think there will be an issue.

Additionally, as reernced, the UMD discs are spartan. Just like DVD's had to push special features to convince people to switch, BR will need something special and extra (i.e. HD or even more special features like commentary by the caterers). UMD offered less for the same amount - a negative value.

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

While there are parallels I still don't think the comparison quite works because the products target audience really is very different.

UMD justs didn't have anything going for it really. It didn't work as a DVD replacement in the slightest. Most people prefer to watch movies at home where they invest the most money in a home theater system. Expecting people to buy duplicate copies of movies they already own, buy exclusively the UMB, or get both, was just not smart.

UMD only plays on the PSP, a system being marketed as a gaming machine. Sure, the PS2 was marketed as a gaming system too but it was not trying to push a new format either.

DVD movies, then, could be sold to people that did NOT have a PS2 while the same is not true for the PSP.

This also contrasts the PS3, because Blu-ray is trying to replace DVD and fits well in the home theater space. Other companies will be making BD players so it's proliferation is not dependent soley upon sales of the PS3. It could definitely help drive support for BD but it isn't an isolated effort like UMD/PSP.

9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Or neither, if they don't convince people that they are needed. I may very well buy a PS3 (I've bought all the other systems), but it won't be hooked up to our primary TV. Therefore, I won't buy Blu-Ray discs, unless I'm compelled (by 1) fabulous picture improvement, extra incentive to buy movies that I already own and 3) movies that I want to purchase). They same is true of HD-DVD.

I mean, look, I do have a PSP and own 1 movie for it - Pirates of the Caribbean - because it was the first movie I saw for it that I wanted and it was a novelty. I watched it on a plane, and never since. If I travelled a great deal, though, I think the PSP would be a good movie option, since it is smaller and doesn't eat battery like a laptop. On long flights, you can get 1 movie in on my powerbook.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I hate the way Sony forces proprietary "standards" on people, but UMD and BR are not the same.
    Movies on UMD never made sense to me. I do not own one beyond the Spiderman flick that came bundled (and which I watched for about 10 minutes one time), and I doubt I will ever buy one. I guess there is a market comprised of PSP owners who want to watch movies on the PSP but who do not want to have to convert them to store on a Memory Stick and don't mind the fact that they pay as much (or more) for a movie in a format that cannot be played on any other device...but that seems like a market of what, 100 people?:rolleyes:

In a sense, Sony is doing the same with BR on PS3, but only in that they are using the device to establish a standard. The comparison falls short though, because BR disks can be played back via other devices on a TV, which is how virtually all people want to be able to watch movies most of the time.

Sony is guilty of making this same stupid mistake over and over, but I don't think it'll happen with BR. They may ultimately lose out to HD-DVD, but not because they bundle a BR player with the PSP.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Blu-ray is already a standard. Sony cannot be using a system that is still ulreleased to established something that already exists.

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You are correct. What I meant was they are using PS3 to make it a "popular" standard, and hopefully the winner in the coming HD wars.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Super Audio CD? Minidisc? MemoryStickProSuperDuperDuo? UMD?

I wish Minidisc was supported better. I loved mine. But it felt like nothing more than a digital tape player (Not to get confused with a DAT player).

14. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Blu-ray is hardly the standard, the market doesn't even exist yet. Sony sold BetaMax machines for a decade, but it was never a standard.

That being said, one of the things the PS2 is credited with is getting DVD players into homes covertly. DVD players had been available for several years prior to the PS2, though.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Blu-ray is not the standard, but it is a standard. Just as HD-DVD is a standard. Both have been approved by various groups as standards. A technolgoy does not have to be popular or even used to be approved as a standard.

16. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Not comparable. First off you can play DVDs on Blu Ray machines. Naw for those people who are against Blu Ray because you do not want to repurchase your collection? Read the words backwards compatability. Keep your existing titles you have on DVD but you can purchase new/what you do not have titles in Blu Ray. In fact exactly the opposite as VHS, you do not have to repurchase your collection

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have to agree with Don.

Personally I dont honestly believe BluRay or HD-DVD will win out. I think both technologies are like LaserDisc (advanced but too early for the MASSES), and a similar war only happened a few years ago - minidisc and philips DCC which were both meant to replace cassette but in the end minidisc won the battle, but neither won the war and minidisc sales have never really broken the mass market. it was a format unbenounced to everyone MP3 (which in many way's is inferior sound quality) that has won the masses.

I predict both HD-DVD & BluRay to battle for 12 months, buyer apathy to follow and in 24 months, and entirely different (or convergent) format to truly be the next step.

Sony doesnt have a great track record when it comes to proprierty media. None have really taken off. Betamax, Minidisc, UMD, DAT - their track record speaks for itself.

All the format successes are not sony's... Cassette & CD philips, VHS - JVC, DVD philips/toshiba......

Sony are not gods in this field so why do all the fanboy's think they are?

18. Gyroscope macrumors regular

Sorry mate, but you don't know what you are talking about?

Compact Disc - (co invented by Sony)
    DAT
    BetaCam
    DV/MiniDV
    3.5" floppy!

You should do some research.
    :cool:

19. nutmac macrumors 68030

Exactly. Although some enthusiasts and early adopters will undoubtedly embrace HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray, I don't see it going much more beyond that (compounded by unnecessary format war). And I speak as an individual who has had a laserdisc player from late 80's to late 90's and early HDTV and DVD adopter.

The future is, whether MPAA likes it or not, video on demand and downloadable movies.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Say what u want by the UMD but that format is not gone....its still going in games and i hope it stays that way so its still alive.

I'm going on names here so dont flame me...matter of fact i dont give a rats arse if you do........the name Blu-ray rolls of the tongue better than HD-DVD but hey thats just what i think.

How about going back to VHS...;)

Bless

21. Gyroscope macrumors regular

So, you can look into the future. WOW!. :D

22. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

the reason UMD

flopped is because it's as much as a DVD or more for no extras and crappy resolution on a tiny screen... why not just buy the DVD and rip it? If those suckers were 5 bucks i would have bought a slew of them

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

DAT is hardly successful mass market is it? Yes it has a small niche, but that doesnt translate into mass market epidemic.

Yes ok Philips & Sony jointly came up with CD, but it was using philip's audio technology left over from Laserdisc.

Floppy was IBM orignally was it not? Or was that only the big floppy?

I thought DV is an international standard created by a consortium of 10 companies for a consumer digital video format. The companies involved were Matsushita Electric Industrial Corp (Panasonic), Sony Corp, Victor Corporation of Japan (JVC), Philips Electronics, N.V., Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd, Hitachi, Ltd., Sharp Corporation, Thompson Multimedia, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, and Toshiba Corporation.

I still dont believe Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will win out in the end.

24. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I secretly have and do hope UMD fails, at least on the movie side. I'd like it to fail hoping that Sony will open up it's video playback options (avi, divx, native resolution), currently it's kind of a pain in the ass.

The UMD game aspect doesn't really matter as much as like most consoles it was never meant to run on another system or device and I'm fine with that. The fact that they went with memory stick duo instead of an already established standard like SD is kind of irritating however.

25. Abulia thread starter macrumors 68000

Abulia

Here's a nice little summary on some of the formats Sony has introduced and their success.

Go go go HiFD, ATRAC, and SACD! :rolleyes:

Oh, and reference SACD adoption versus DVD-Audio, another format war eerily similar to Blu-Ray / HD-DVD.