PSP-time

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, May 22, 2006.

1. macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm at a stage now where I have justified reasons for buying a PSP. finally! Now. I have enough for any PSP but I want the cheapest, you know how it goes. I care not for any free games/films or a big memory card (buying my own separate). Unless of course the free game is Street Fighter Alpha 3 or GTA:LCS. I would prefer an old Firmware too, something to play my backed up GB games on :) I don't want the white one either, unless it hides fingerprints better?

Where's a good place to buy from?

Uk only too! any MR guy/gal flogging them on eBay will certainly get a good looking over :cool: i trust 2nd hand from you guys. I think. ;) Though preferably a real shop would be better. I don't want any dead pixels, NONE!

2. macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I don't know about any UK stores, but I am pretty sure that, from what I have heard, the white psp hides fingerprints A LOT better. As for playing GB games and whatnot, without getting into anything here, I will say that firmware 2.6 allows you to install homebrew (using GTA: LCS, which apparently you want anyway). I would also strongly, strongly recommend picking up an Invisibleshield for your PSP. I put one of those on (and on my iPod too)- it covers the entire screen and hides fingerprints a hell of a lot better than without it.

http://www.shieldzone.com/form/index.html?preadd=action&key=SONPSPTOP

3. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Logitech playgear is the best with your PSP....there are flash games that work with the PSP(playing pacman right now)....is there EB games in the U.K? don't they have 2nd hand PSPs?

Remember no 2.70 no downloading demos.....i think:)

Bless

4. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm still on 1.5 firmware. Worth upgrading you think? I know it runs homebrew and stuff, just can never be bothered to do so. Though I do have a snes emulator on a mem card I think...

5. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

So to run Homebrew on a 2.0+ system I need GTA:LCS? Looks like that'll be my game then. Homebrew is just too big for me to cut out and makes it worth the £150 I'll end up paying tomorrow.
    Can I backup (or download backups) of my PSP games to run from the memory stick? Battery life is a huge issue for me and I'll try any battery extension trick.

6. macrumors 6502a

Not gonna happen (if you count other screen defects as well). I went through nineteen and even offered to pay double for a 'perfect PSP' with zero defects.

Never saw it...

Good luck though.

7. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Just to inform y'awl I've purchased a 2gb CoreMemoryProDuo thingy online. Going into town tomorrow to eye up the competition. Should I go for a well-kept 2nd hand model or splash out on Gamestations white PSP+game+film for £160? too many choices :) I know i'll pick the right one. The PSP's turning point feels here now. it's finally getting what I wanted, good games.
    plus you can never have enough handhelds! mwhahaha.

Black DS Lite is next.

8. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Utter final question now!

I have decided to get the White PSP. £160 with a 32mb card (plus 2gb coming), game and film is a good deal no? Only problem is the Firmware. CAN I track back from the White's firmware to 1.5?

9. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Only from v.2 i think. After that your buggered.

10. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Might I ask what pushed you over the edge for a PSP? Was it Lumines 2? ;)

I've heard UMD movies are starting to get pulled.... of course, maybe that means you'll be able to get those already released for cheaper! ;)

11. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

EXACTLY! That was one of the bigger reasons. here goes.

1) Emulation. I've ripped a lot of my old games so they're being sealed up and put away now.
    2) Cheaper UMD films. No-one buys? Drop price. The Office was £9.99 in Gamestation. instead of the stupid £17.99 they were first launched at.
    3) Good games are appearing. Monster Hunter Freedom anyone? Street Fighter Alpha 3, again!
    4) They will not be dropping past the £150 mark ANY time soon. it's now or wait until the price drop rumours of "they'll be £10 cheaper in 12 months!" start cropping up.
    5) found out I like racing sims. *shrugs* I didn't see that coming either!

12. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The thing that worries me is Sony continues to try to lock out homebrew... and they are releasing firmware updates that shut that out and then requiring the updates to run new games...

13. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye, this makes me feel like PSP and PS3 are from different companies. Why are they allowing homebrew and Linux-loving on the PS3 and locking out PSP homebrew? utter madness.

Hackers always catch up though. even the "unhackable" 360 is getting the hack treatment.

14. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well see, that's why I don't think they actually *are* going to allow homebrew on PS3! :)

15. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I hate how they try to lock out homebrew(even though i dont use em)..its only because they want you to buy the PS1 games.....oh well.

Bless

16. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Monkstar! I just bought one! Please say I did good :eek:

Japanese 1.5 firmware (Sharp screen, supposed to be good they say)
    Lumines
    64mb card
    UK power charger

£170 inc. next day delivery.

Smashing? I wanted 1.5 for the uber easy homebrew. Apparently you can run ghost-firmwares that trick games that were made for 2.0+. w00t!

17. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^luminies will take your life over...your girl will have to hide that from you...the music, lights are so addictive.....when you reach to "how can the music heal my soul" you'll feel it.

Good move man...

Bless

18. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep I have to use one to boot Liberty City Stories...

19. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Did not want to start a new thread and had to brag :D I just got a new Gameboy Micro for AUS$78 or 33 pounds, one of my best purchases this year. On top of that I also have picked up 4 relatively new release GBA games as follows: Need for speed most wanted, v-rally 3, king kong and scooby doo. I know not the best games but at AUS$45 I could not resist. That 19 pounds ;)

I can't wait till the micro gets delivered. Gaming every where will no doubt became a new meaning to me with this system. I love the bright screen and the the image is so sharp. Like if its high definition for GBA. Oh btw its a red micro :D

20. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The Micro is beautiful. It's such an easy system to play, just so light and small. it's top

21. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

What did you use to rip your old games other than GBA games (which I'm already ripping)? I'm interested in doing the same thing

22. thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

No idea, they're being dumped buy a guy from a computer shop. He said years ago that he had GB and NES dumping equipment (along with a VR setup!). So he's doing that. I trust he doesn't leave the country with my immaculate Mario Bros/Duck Hunt and Mario Bros 3 carts.

What about video ripping? I'm guessing that QT Pro can convert them to the needed file format, but what format do they need to be in?

23. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yea i want to know as well...i might as get into it.

Bless

24. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think 7.0 is nice....got a lot more things than 1.5....maybe its worth a sot...i got 7.0 just so i can download demos...LOCO ROCO!

Bless

25. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just put my PSP on charge, (battery flat as a pancake) soon as it's done I'm gonna update the firmware.

Homebrew - not too bothered about and piracy doesnt interest me, but that demo of Locco does....