PSP Titles: Daxter & Syphon Filter Scores Big on IGN.

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Mar 11, 2006.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Here are the reviews and i'm looking foward to these games...March is looking great for the PSP.

Yes! another online shooter using the head gear and no auto lock!
    http://psp.ign.com/

Bless

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm perplexed. I hear a lot of hype against the quality of these games and IGN gives them high scores. Then again, I don't trust IGN scores.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Mmmmmm....Daxter. Can't wait for this one to come out. In the meantime, Ape Escape Academy is providing a nice PSP diversion from Mario Kart DS.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping for somthing decent for my psp. It's been gathering dust lately.

Syphon Filter & Daxter both look great. Just put orders in on DVDboxoffice :)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was never a fan of that PS2 Daxter game. Is that the one where the first game was happy and the second game dark? Which really didn't feel right.

I preferred MGS to Syphon Filter. Didn't some previewer mention control issues? They must have sorted that out.

March is looking great for handhelds in general. these 2 on the PSP, Metroid and Tetris on the DS, FF4 for GBA (UK).

6. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

7. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yup thats the Jak you are talking about. The way the review talked about it it sounds like the controls are tight and i can't wait to get online with this(i'm not sure whats the control set up but it sounds like you have multiple choices)

Indeed It's good to be a handheld gamer for both handhelds....lets go DS lite/Metroid/Splinter Cell/Tetris DS!!

Bless

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Are there any big console releases this or next month? seems be a balancing act of Consoles and Handhelds for the big releases.

9. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

I was beginning to get a little 'buyer's remorse' over my PSP insofar as some of the comments I was reading on the web about gaming on the system.

Generally, it seems developers have been regarding the PSP as just another system to port existing games to -- largely, PS2 games. Up until now, they've largely not put any effort into adapting games (or creating innovative new ones) to the PSP's abilities/limitations. For example, Splinter Cell on the PSP got panned for being pretty clunky to play. There were cries for games to be specially crafted for the PSP, even if they follow an established genre.

Looks like Syphon Filter is the PSP's 'native' answer to Splinter Cell. I guess it's still a pretty young system. It's Sony's first handheld, so there's naturally going to be more lead-time as the devs get out of the 'just port the PS2 game' mindset. Compare that to Nintendo, who has a strong handheld-gaming pedigree and whose devs (including 3rd party studios) have years of experience making a great handheld experience. I still love playing Mario Advance on my GBA!

Looks like things might be coming good in PSP-land!

(incidentally, I'm increasingly happy with my PSP purchase. I run WebRemote on my Mac with a custom handheld-friendly template, so I can control iTunes with the PSP. Also, I got a PHP script which lets me stream my iTunes library to my PSP using the RSS feature. Really nifty little device!)

10. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Whats wrong with the PSP version of splinter cell? it's not a port(it's a new SC) and it is not even out yet...don't jinx it man i'm waiting on this game. It seems like the game makers are getting it with the port crap...no one really wants it. Nintendo is the king of handhelds so they got their section locked but i would like to see the PSP get large like nintendo handheld section...it's always good to have more than one handheld(thats worth a darn) on the market.

I haven't really checked on any big console game but MGS3: subsistence got a excellent score and i will be getting it.

Bless

11. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I really liked Jak 2. I liked the darker theme myself so im looking forward

12. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Update: MegaMan Powered up got great reviews along with pursuit force.

Metal Gear is good!! i got it and it has the original Meal Gear and the other one....MGS3 is now in the 3rd person view.

Bless

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I am sooo buying Daxter!

PSP has been boring lately... :(

14. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

read all the news today? :D PSP has been my dream device. wish I had like $5k to blow on that sucker :eek: