PSP video w/ subtitles?

Discussion in 'Games' started by w00tmaster, Jan 19, 2006.

1. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2004
    Has anyone ever watched a video on the psp with subtitles? Are they generally readable?
    I'm trying to decide on whether or not I should buy a psp gigapack for $300 or just go for a play-yan on my DS to watch video. I usually watch a lot of subtitled programs(Japanese stuff mostly, but some others thrown in) and I usually know enough Japanese to get by without subtitles, but I would like to know if they are at all readable on the psp.
  2. Echinda macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2003
    They're pretty small. Sometimes when ripping .vob files from foreign DVDs (that I own, thank you very much) for conversion to MP4 and subsequent PSP viewing, I'll accidentally get the version with subtitles. (aside: can anyone point me to a good resource on figuring out which file is which on a DVD and the technical side of DVD-authoring generally?)

The subtitles are generally too small to be much help, but the resolution is good enough that if you really peer at them you can make them out. Don't know how well you will be able to read Kanji, though.