PSP Virus.

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Oct 6, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Yup. Viruses are now targeting videogame devices. Go figure... Link

But then again, this is Symantec :rolleyes:

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well, this is not a virus, but a Trojan.

Viruses are malicious code that is automatically run when downloaded or launched on a webpage that contains this code. A virus then automatically spreads to people, automatically opens on their computers, and continues to spread.

Trojans are malicious code that needs to be physically run (using Windows example) by double-clicking or opening the file. It can be downloaded but will not be run until the user physically opens the file.

This is a trojan that affects a small number of PSP owners. First of all, the user has to WANT to downgrade their PSP with software 2.0 to 1.5 - a majority of PSP users do not or do not know how to or why this would benefeit them. Second, the user has to download the INFECTED downgrader - there are many successful downgraders out there. Third, the user has to run this downgrader.

When this malicious downgrader is run, it deletes neccesary files on the PSP, which basically "bricks" the PSP, meaning it does not function.

3. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Woops, my bad. I knew that :eek: ... Yes, I meant trojan.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

It is still interesting that someone has created something designed to interfere with the PSP. Nobody is asking how this is a great a threat. Is it not strange that there haven't been any iPod viruses yet?

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Well, first of all, the reason there are no iPod trojans (not viruses) versus the PSP is that the PSP is basically a "mini computer" that plays music, games, and movies as well as browses the internet (I have made some MR posts from my PSP). The iPod is an MP3 player. (The iPod DOES have the iPodLinux Project going on but thats totally different to what I am about to say). On the PSP, people run homebrew and random applications that they made to hack the PSP - the PSP is like the most hacked handheld I have ever seen. This trojan is basically one of the hacks out there that is very popular that just reverses the effects - instead of making the PSP work better for these hackers, it destroys it.

Second, of course someone would create something to harm the PSP - they do it to computers and web browsers for no reason.

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

By the way, forgot to mention:

Sony released firmware 2.01, which contains no new features but prevents against the homebrew being allowed to run. Becuase it blocks out homebrew, it also blocks out the trojan.

7. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Gamepark

Not disagreeing, but take a look at the Gamepark 32....made in Korea and do they care about homebrew? Nah. You can get emulators for anything you can think of...and they run well, supposedly.

Link

Next gen:

XGP

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

:eek: Soooo coooool!

*on topic* from what I remember, the source for this is really easy, too. Very weird

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The GPX2 is a bleedin fantastic machine. its just a PSP without the UMD and Sony's overcharging price tag. homebrew capital machine :D especially considering that the GPX2 runs the old GP32 games and homebrew its a massive scene! well; compared to the new PSP.

but back on topic. this was bound to happen sooner or later... and if wind of this gets out in the mass media then Sony will have to pull something big to make the PSP a good choice again. Would be much worse if it had a hard drive (like some guys were saying).
    also yea! no viruses for iPod. how strange. i know there is 1 for Pocket PC even though it was just a proof of concept thing.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

what is it with Korean products using the same slogan?! my korean MP3 player (I-Bead) has the company's saying was something like "to become the digital leader in the world" and now that GamePark company in the XGP screenshots has the a similar "digital/company/world/leader" style slogan.

whats going on Korea?