PSP vs DS Lite - Sell us on your preference!

Discussion in 'Games' started by AppleGuy08, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Nintendo DS Lite

2. Sony PlayStation Portable

1. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

Mar 6, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
  2. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    Yeah, portable PS2 games... :rolleyes:
  3. mark! macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    DS Lite is less than half the price of a PSP, & has better games.

soo...the DS is where it's @, yo. w00t w00t.

PSP is teh suxxx0rs.

question, what game do you guys recommend? (I dont like guns, but like rpgs.)

I'm getting a ds lite as soon as they are back in stock :D
  4. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    I have the New Super Mario Bros. and although it's fun, I find it incredibly easy...I'm going to buy Mario Kart and possibly Animal Crossing tomorrow. I'm very awaiting the release of Final Fantasy 3 (oh how I wish they remade Chrono Trigger in 3D...) and Children of Mana
  5. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 6, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Riiiight. I love games that are designed to be played and beaten by 5 year olds :) Plus it has no movie capability, no music, no internet browser, hard to have any upgrades or peripherals. The psp graphics and games blow Nintendo's games out of the water. The extra price is worth it because sony will always keep it up to date. But its cool. I just prefer a system that not only allows me to game, but watch movies and surf the net when im on the go.
  6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Good for you :rolleyes:

I'll stick to my DS, it's just a matter of prefrence, no need to start a flame war :)

Edit: I finally saw the DS lite, it looks way more cooler than the pictures. I never noticed, but it's got a glossy plastic 'shell', like the iPod. Heaps cool.
  7. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    Just to share some contrast, I love games. I don't care who the target market is, so long as I have fun playing it.

I own exactly 3 PSP games (Lumines, Gretzky NHL, and Mega Man X) and none of them have held my attention as long as any one of my DS games has.

I bought a DS to play games. I bought a PSP to play games.

So far, the DS is the one with the games I want to play.

Too bad the sales numbers tell a different story.

8. Smallville macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2004
    My brother has a PSP, so I've had a bit of time to compare the systems to see what I'd like to buy. The PSP is boring and way overpriced.

I don't consider the fact that it can play UMD movies a bonus. I have a laptop that can play my DVDs, so I don't have to buy movies twice.

As far as games go, PSP is still just a handheld with buttons. The DS with the touch screen for games like Trauma Center could never happen on a PSP.

Also, the PSP can't sell me on nostalgia of playing old school Mario Bros. like a DS can. I don't have to have the latest games with the most realistic graphics. I like games that are simple and fun.

There was no contest between the two for the experience I want.
  9. Torajima macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    First off, the kiddie argument has been beaten to death. It's funny how Mario is "kiddie", but you throw Mickey Mouse and a bunch of other Disney characters into a Square RPG and Sony fanboys go nuts over it.

I almost bought a PSP, until I realized

1. The multimedia capabilites are crippled (no native avi or divx playback? Even my palm pilot plays these). UMD movies are a joke, who in their right mind would pay MORE for a low resolution movie they already own on DVD?

2. No good software. This is a matter of opinion of course, but I could only find 4 games I'm interested in on the PSP, while there is about 20 games I want for the DS (plus all those great GBA games I never played). The PSP games are, for the most part, just portable versions of games you've already played on the PS2... not a whole lot of originality there.

3. It's over-priced. The price of the hardware I could stomach, but most of the games cost between $40 and $50... which is on average, $10 more than DS games.

4. I actuallly don't care about 3-D or Full Motion Video any more. Really, the novelty of it all wore off about 6 years ago. All I care about is the games and how fun they are... and I got to tell you, Meteos is about the most addictive game I've played in YEARS.

5. The DS lite screens are better than the one on the PSP. Not only are they brighter, but if you add the two together you are actually getting more screen real estate than single "widescreen" PSP. Also, the PSP screen has a tendancy to distort if you touch the screen or anything near the screen, say like a button. The DS has a better refresh rate too, and doesn't have the ghosting issues the PSP has.

I could go on, but I guess you get the point. The DS lite may have a slower processor, but it beats the PSP in most every other way.
  10. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    IMO - the PSP is terrible. and I spent days worth of excitement then days worth of regret since buying it. It's a bad system with no redeeming features. hell even the DS is trashing the PSP in it's old homeland - homebrew. Nintendo don't block it (unless you have the iQue DS), the touchscreen makes it a squillion times better etc. i dunno. the PSP just feels like a half-arsed quick stab at Nintendo's dominant market.

To the people with partners who steal the DS. I had something similar happen. I just got that Castlevania Double Pack GBA game, I'm there. addicted to HELL on Aria of Sorrow. then I made the mistake of letting my girlfriend play on Harmony of Dissonance. Didn't get it back for a few days :( wasn't as bad as when she hijacked my Mario Kart. I had to reset it she messed the stats up so much! in the 4 days she had it she played more than my 2 months with it.
  11. razzmatazz macrumors member

Apr 7, 2006
    I would have to agree with him. PSP IS THE BEST! :cool:

besides all the things he said...the 2 screen crap would get on my nerves!
  12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    No No movie/music capability? No web browser? Hard to have upgrades or peripherals? They're everywhere, just like the PSP...

The PSP may have better 3D capabilities but it's still useless in the end: the games look like they're from a PS1 or average PS2 game at best. Screen size aside, the PSP games don't look too different than the ones on the DS, as far as 3D quality is concerned.

As for the games, I don't know anyone who wants to pay twice for his games (once for the PS2 and once for the PSP... because the PSP almost only has the same games as the PS2). The DS may have some titles similar to the N64 and GameCube, but thanks to this little thing called "innovation", exclusive DS titles are plentiful.

The only thing the PSP really has over the Nintendo DS is the bigger, widescreen display. It's simply too big and too expensive for a portable system. World-wide sales point to the fact that the PSP is a distant 2nd to the Nintendo DS, too.
  13. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    LOL! That video was great! The two funniest things about it:
    - the Benny Hill music had to be restarted about 5 or 6 times
    - my screensaver kicked in while I was watching it... (yeah, it's THAT long)

Thanks JDOG, I always forget about the "LOADING" crap people have to put up with on non-Nintendo systems...
  14. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    Are you kidding? Nanostray was one of the most anticipated titles of its time!

I had a blast with Polarium, but it had little replay value after I finished the 100th puzzle. Well worth the $5 or $10 you'd spend to pick it up, IMO.

This post is just as one-sided and useless as the one you replied to.
  15. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    Oh, so Nanostray isn't a new release... I'll have to check for a used one then, because I've never seen it in the "new games" sections. As for Polarium, I think it's still selling for 20 or 25$ CAD... I'll try to get that one used if it's got no replay value (buy used, play to the end, sell back).

Is it really? Because aside from Lumines, I haven't heard about the PSP's greatness. In fact I don't even know anyone who owns a PSP and never seen anyone buying one either. The price is just too high for a portable system.
  16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    ^I'm going to have to jump in.....PSP is a great system...shine in the DS greatness all you want but sony has a very good system here the games are coming slowly.

I think the PSP is a good system along with the DS both of them have its advantages. Where i live i see more PSPs than DS(NYC)...everywhere i go i see PSPs....not one DS except mines.

Good games are coming but this thread here is for the let the DS lotioning continue..

17. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL

Those are all valid points, and I don't really disagree with you, but your presentation is self-defeating.
  18. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    The PSP is definately better in terms of what it is capable of. However Sony has invested too little in PSP gaming that there arent many good games for the system. In fact there are probably only 5 at most. Its a shame that Sony did not work with the developers as much as they should have for the PSP. Instead they kept pushing for the failing platform of the UMD to movie companies and obviously failed. Darn shame...

My sister recently got this DS Lite. Man that mario game is FUN. I have to admit. Actually to be correct, the main game isnt that interesting, but the MINI GAMES, oh man, I was HOOKED on that stuff. I gotta retract some of my previous statements about the mario comments from a previous thread. Because Ninentendo sure did a great job on making an interesting game out of characters that would attract a 5 year old. However then again it still does stand since I didnt like the main game :p
  19. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    If you don't call putting two screens (one of them being a touch-screen) and a microphone into a portable gaming system "innovation", I don't know what is... Other than that, my original post wasn't a point of view as much as it was facts (sales, 3D quality, games available, etc).

So, what makes the PSP so great then? If you have an opposite point of view, surely you should be able to prove me wrong...

Here's my list:

PSP pros:
    - powerful CPU
    - big screen
    - widescreen (good for movies)
    - has a memory stick slot and can play MP3 music and MPEG-4 movies (not sure)
    - browser (not sure which one it is though... W3C compatibility, etc)
    - analog stick
    - Sony exclusives (don't know which ones)

PSP cons:
    - too big
    - way too expensive
    - 3D as bad as a PS1/PS2 (pixelated, etc)
    - UMD movies are low-quality but almost as expensive as DVD movies (studios other than Sony are discontinuing UMD releases)
    - no real "PSP games" as it's basically a portable PS2 with a widescreen LCD (what can be done on the PS2 can be done on the PSP and vice-versa)
    - loading times
    - possible mechanical failures (UMD drive)
    - games almost as expensive as PS2 games

DS/DS Lite Pros:
    - fast loading times (if any)
    - dual CPUs
    - dual screens
    - touch screen
    - microphone
    - clamshell design (protects the screens when not in use - you know, "portable" gaming system?)
    - exclusive games (because of dual screens, touch screen)
    - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (not many games using it for now, but it's free and uses 802.11b)
    - Nintendo exclusives (Metroid, Zelda)
    - low-cost games (vast majority)
    - browser will be easy to use (dual screen = vertical page, touch-screen = mouse-style cursor)
    - GBA compatible (huge library of games)
    - solid-state storage (cards), no moving parts in the system

DS/DS Lite cons:
    - CPUs not really that powerful
    - 3D as bad as N64 (pixelated, etc)
    - not widescreen
    - no movie/music playback without an add-on such as the Play-Yan micro (which is made for the GBA anyway)
    - no browser without an add-on (Opera browser cart)
    - no memory slot on the unit for CF, SD, etc (Play-Yan micro uses SD)

The PSP is a good system, but too expensive for what little is has to offer, IMHO. I don't know who said that, but "the best hardware on the planet is useless without software" (or something like that).
  20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Feb 9, 2006
    USA, KS
    PSP vs DS Lite - Sell us on your preference!

Seeing as there will always be haters jumping into threads on the topic of either system, I've designed this thread to (hopefully) be easily digestable and used as a reference.

Vote for your prefered system and let us know WHY you love either system.

Try to keep replies or questions to a minimum, instead share your thoughts on one system or both, objective or not.

Then, when someone tries to stir the war up in other threads, just reply with a link to this thread!

Here's my opinion:

- Fairly nice screen completely ruined by a horrible refresh rate! Looking at this screen for any reasonable amount of time is painful.
    - Battery life is horrid.
    - UMD is a joke. Pay more for less of what you probably already have? Pathetic.
    - There are some good/decent games and a lot of poor quality has-been PS2 ports/clones/spin-offs. The good games get ruined by the screen refresh rate and the poor battery life.
    - Higher cost (system, accessories, and games)
    - Disc-based system causes poor load times.
    - Design of the system makes it easy to damage without a case.
    + Memory card support (even if it is only Sony MemorySticks)
    + Media playback

DS Lite
    + Excellent screen plus Nintendo's great defect policy.
    + Great battery life.
    + Clam-shell design protects the screen.
    + Carts have great load times and are much harder to damage.
    + Support for entire GBA back library of games
    + Many new, fresh games, made even better with the great screen, lack of load times, and great battery life.
    + Most multiplayer games support single-cart multiplay.
    - No memory card support without accessory
    - No media playback without external accessory
    - Web browser not yet available.
  21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    DS Lite.

Even the most diehard Sony fans at GameStop I know who are buying a PS3 at launch fully agree that the PSP's games suck in comparison.

The DS has a better game lineup. That right there makes it the better system.

If we continue...the PSP's load times are horrid. I tried some of the demos- it took a full minute and five seconds to get into a game. The screen is pretty but scratchable (no clamshell design) in a backpack. The battery life is far inferior to the DS. The graphics are significantly better, but that's unimportant when there are not near as many good games.

I won't even mention UMD movies. That's a joke.
  22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    DS lite....for now

Yup i said it....i know what is what and right now the DS is the big dog.

PSP has a great future but for right now its laying in still waters. Everybody know i'm a PSP player but i will give credit where it is due and the DS games are wonderful and that touch screen just adds another punch to the gut.

i'm still trying to get over people talking about the PSP being bulky?:confused: .....the DS lite and PSP are the same size.

23. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    You clearly struggle with the concept of an "opinion".

I'm not here to prove you wrong. I'm here to keep the piece. The DS and the PSP are both great pieces of hardware and they both have a selection of great games. It's that simple.

Some folks prefer the DS, others prefer the PSP. I've got both. So what?
  24. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    But that's just not true! You're just saying "PSP and DS are great" and "they both have great games" without taking anything else into account...

Let's take some exemples:
    - the Hyundai Accent and BMW M6 are both great cars...
    - McDonald's and Big Steak House both offer great meals...

Without any reference, it's pointless.

- The DS offers great value for the money and is innovative (see my list in my previous post).
    - The PSP is too expensive and doesn't bring any innovation to gaming (again, see my list in my previous post)
    - The DS have more exclusive titles (only available to the DS)
    - The PSP mostly has remakes of PS2 titles (not saying there's no PSP-only titles)

Of course, some people don't see the value of money the same way as others, and "good games" is subjective.

No offense intended to anyone (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo fanboys alike).
  25. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa