psp vs. GBA SP vs. DS

Discussion in 'Games' started by Corrosive vinyl, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have heard a lot of talk about all the differnt consoles but hardly any about the portables. What does everyone think of them and what is the best portable for the money and for the games, etc. that are offered with each one?

I personally like the DS because of the innovation of a touch screen and the games that actually use the new idea. Also of the ability to play GBA games.

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

DS > GBASP > PSP

DS is clearly the best.
    I choose the SP over the PSP because it has better games despite it not being as feature-full in other areas.

PSP is too expensive and doesn't offer more than a handful of good games (that I can count literally on one hand). The other features...meh. I've lived without them this long, I can continue doing so. :D

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Like Z2D -
    DS>GBA>PSP

DS on top because it can play GBA games. I absolutely love the GBA and what it did for handheld gaming. Spent more time on that than any last gen console.
    The DS is having a hard time replacing it IMO. I know sales figure agrue against it, but the DS just doesn't have the charm of the GBA in appearence and in game library.

That said It's been a tough 4 weeks with my DS Lite being shipped off to Nintendo :(

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I have all three of those and the DS does get the most use.

i'm liking the PS3 & PSP hook-up though. That works very well and I love being able to download PS1 games for the PSP (Jumping Flash etc)

But it's the DS and most usually 42 All Time Classics game that I'm usually found playing if I'm mobile.

5. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

and what about the original gameboy and segas game gear? they were giants.

Sometimes it seems like portables get glazed over by consoles

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Original Gameboy was/IS excellent. Still got mine sealed up. Some absolute fantastic games on that - Pokemon, Links Awakening, Mario Land 2/3.
    Didn't play much on GameGear, wasn't much a fan of the Master System too. Sonic and that After G-whatever flying game was quite fun.

DS>GB Micro>SP>GBA>Gamboy Pocket>Gameboy>Game Gear>N-Gage (what can I say, Tomb Raider and Pandemonium)>PSP

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

GameGear wasnt a huge success, and neither was the Atari Lynx
    Both were too big and had utter crap battery life.

Gameboy came with Tetris and battery life was about 20 hours.

8. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I totally agree with the battery life of the game gear... but it was revolutionary being in full color. There were some fun games, but I think it came out too early and the technology wasn't there to make it the powerhouse that it could be. It suffered like the original portable cd players did, they were big and bulky and got horrid battery life, but they still were revolutionary because now "discmen" get amazing battery life and you can go out and buy one for $20

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

yup

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

A couple of the more obscure/less well known portables (SNK's NeoGeo Pocket Color + NEC's Turbo Express) were both excellent systems as well. Great screens, good battery life. NGPC had many great SNK titles including SvC (SNK vs Capcom), Metal Slug, and KOF (King of Fighters). Turbo Express was the first time you could play your home console games (those being TurboGrafx-16/TurboDuo HU cards) on the road (a feat that was repeated with the Sega Nomad, which played Genesis cartridges).

I liked the Game Gear, but the battery pack and AC adapter were must-owns. Shinobi and Aladdin were excellent games (my two favorites on the system).

I've heard the Atari Lynx was ok, but I've never played one.

11. darkwing macrumors 65816

Man another thread of Sony haters. The typical DS fan's argument is "the DS is better because it has better games" is what they say, because it's typically all they can afford. I have a DS, DS Lite, and a PSP, and i have probably 20 GBA games, about 14 DS games, and about 12 PSP games. Lately my PSP gets the most use because I'm into RPGs, and that's where the good ones are. I played halfway through Final Fantasy III DS (good game, but typical boring square) and played Magical Starsign for 5 minutes. I'm an RPG guy, and you may not be. I notice the DS seems to have more puzzle games, while the PSP seems to have more shooters.

So, games aside, let's talk the technical points.

DS has 2 screens which were industrial designed by a complete moron. The fact that you could have 2 screens would be great except for the giant gap. This totally ruins it. Yes, they could have drastically minimized that if they wanted to by changing the hinge mechanism. It does have a touch screen, and this makes for some cool games. Meteos is an addicting as heck puzzle game, especially when played with friends! Touch screen gaming is fun, and for the price of a DS you can't beat it over other touch screen gaming capable devices (like PDAs for example.) The graphics on the DS are amazing if it were still 1996. Cartridge based medium of course means fast as heck load times, and the battery life on the DS Lite I've noticed to be good. I've never run out on any trips.

The PSP has great graphics for today's era and plenty of games in all genres. The analog nub works great once you get used to it, but still can't replace an analog thumb-stick on a dual sock/sixaxis. The UMA media format has a lot of capacity, but comes at the price of slow load times. Sometimes very slow. Also, because the PSP is similar to the PS2, many games available are just ports of games you may already own on the PS2. I've never had the PSP run out of battery on me, either. I have probably never gone much over 8 hours before being able to plug it in again.

The PSP has a very active homebrew community that allows you to run all kinds of emulators for snes/genesis/etc games, and you can buy old PS1 games from the PS3 store (soon you won't need a ps3) to be played on your PSP for only $6 a game.

So, the bottom line really is this:

The DS and 2 games will be about equal to the cost of a PSP. 3+ games if you factor in a larger memory stick for storage.

Decide if you prefer touch screen gaming or analog stick gaming in a portable.

Both are horribly uncomfortable to hold (at least for me) and as a left-hander, I find some of the DS games that require a stylus to be a little biased towards righties. (Needing the stylus while you use the directional pad in some games.)

DS games tend to run $5 cheaper than PSP games.

So, those are really the point/counterpoint and mini-reviews from someone who owns both. Both systems will be highly enjoyable for you (as they are for me) because both have a diverse range of games. If you can't afford both, then really review what games are out there and decide if you prefer touch screen/battery life (the DS will last longer, but I've never run out on either) or graphics/analog nub.

Stupid me, I realize the OP also asked about the GBA SP, and I did a comparison of the PSP and the DS.

You can't go wrong with an SP. Tons of games from just about every genre (except FPS games that aren't a joke) and a great price. Tremendous battery life, and the smallest of the bunch. That thing goes anywhere and everywhere! Also comfortable to hold, too.

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's easy to say when the gba's been around a lot longer. that the ds has as many good games as it does is amazing. i like the psp, but it lacks originality in games. loco roco aside, there isn't anything for that system that makes me want to play it. the games that are good seem to be conversions of their console counterparts. games like tekken, i'd much rather play on a ps2 than a psp. i get more use out of my game boy micro than i do the psp.

13. mkaake macrumors 65816

Can we have a thread that concerns something made by either nintendo or sony without the word 'hater' or 'haters' coming out?

In the end it comes down to games. Most (not everyone) agree that the DS has the wider selection of games, that appeal (generally) to more of the people here. The PSP seems to lack a large amount of fun games (matter of opinion), which most (read: not everyone) feel negates any advantage it might have in graphical capabilities.

Can that statement pass without me being called a hater, or a fanboy?

14. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

no one was "hating" on sony; it was merely people saying they preferred the ds over the psp. as for games, thats completely subjective, but right now there 0 psp games that interest me, and several on the ds that do. it's a no brainer which one I am going to prefer; whether or not I had enough money for a psp is beside the point.

good comparison anyways.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

hater :mad:

16. mkaake macrumors 65816

:D

I needed that laugh :)

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

So you're on the fence then?

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Right now all of them suck...I barely play the things but in my order:

DS>PSP>>>GBA

If the PSP continue to pump out the games they are now then my PSP will be on top...The warriors got me locked in when I work the grave yard shift.

Bless

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sky Blue's on a roll :)

I just dont get the portability of the PSP. For kicks I tried putting in a pocket and walking around campus. so long as I avoided steps it was okay. Not saying the DS is super portable, but it's much lighter and smaller for easy travelling. But the Micro? Christ on a bike I throw the thing with an M3 into a bag and I've got my whole GBA collection on the go in an area fractionally bigger than my iPod Mini :)

20. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

So anyone who dislikes a Sony product is a Sony hater then?
    What a joke.
    Obviously you "hate" some companies out there yourself then by your own [whack] logic.
    I guess I should've never purchased a total 2 Sony TVs, more Sony Walkman/Discman players than I can count, Two Playstations, Three Playstation 2s, a Sony DVD Changer, a Sony VCR, a Sony digital camera, a Sony DV Camera, you know...being the "Sony hater" that I am. :rolleyes:

And it's the truth.

I can afford a Ps3 but that doesn't mean I'm buying one because I can afford it. That's one of the dumbest things I've seen you post, darkwing.

So, Final Fantasy IV Advance and Final Fantasy VI Advance are just garbage then, eh? zOMG :rolleyes: :cool:

Those are the two best RPGs ever created.

I notice the DS seems to have a wide game library (full of more than puzzle games), and the PSP is composed primarily of ports.

The screen gap doesn't bother me.

Here's one of my own.
    "The PSP has a poor nub analog stick, an unproven custom disc format, and a button too close to the screen designed by a complete moron." :rolleyes: :p

21. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

The psp looks very interesting... but what many people are already saying is the kinds of games that are on it. Comend Sony on the innovation of the multimedia handheld. I personally don't understand why someone would try to watch a movie on a 3 inch screen, a 7 inch portable dvd player screen is hard enough on the eyes as it is.

For another gamer in the house who is kind of interested in getting a PSP, there is only one game that they really want to play for that system... so it would cost about $250 just to play that one game.

22. darkwing macrumors 65816

Glad you liked it.

The problem is many people throw out the notion that "the DS has better games" which I find odd because there are many highly ranked games for the PS2 that were ported to the PSP. If the thread is "DS rules PSP sucks" that's great, but the OP asked for a comparison.

Here's my list of DS games:

Spider-man (came with it when I bought it used)
    Need for Speed Underground 2 (ditto)
    Yugioh Nightmare whatever (don't ask)
    Mario Kart
    New SMB
    Lunar
    Magical Starsign
    FF3DS
    Bust a Move DS
    Polarium
    Meteos

(Now I'm having to rack my brain, as all the games are at home.)

Well, I have a few more. forget what they are.

The point is, out of all these games, the only ones I really love and got countless hours of enjoyment from were Mario Kart DS (highly recommended!) and Meteos (ditto.) The rest were all huge disappointments. And I mean huge. Except possibly FF3 as it was fun but then I got bored, because I think I was expecting more from a remake. However, I'll probably finish it one of these days. New SMB was fun but it took only a few hours to beat, and then what? Plus, the commercial was quite misleading to show giant mario and pass that off as cool when really it's just a 10 second thing that grants you a couple extra lives after.

On the other hand, let's look at my list of PSP games:

PoPoLoCrois
    Legend of Heroes I
    Legend of Heroes II
    Legend of Heroes III (these 3 games are full of typos)
    Tales of Eternia (imported from UK)
    Bubble Bobble Revolution
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
    Metal Gear Solid Digital Comic whatever
    SSX
    Hot Shots Golf
    Lumines II
    Blade Dancers
    Ghost in the Shell SAC

All these games have gotten a lot of time from me, and the RPG list is very nice. The only ones I really was kinda let down over were Bubble Bobble and Blade Dancers. The DS could not play many of these games because it lacks the power to do so.

The only DS game I find myself looking forward to is Dragon Quest IX.

This is why I told the OP to look at games and decide.

BTW, another thing for the comparison list: Nintendo, for some stupid reason, refuses to admit they were wrong and support WPA for wireless on the DS. The Wii does, but the DS does not. Nintendo sticks to their original statement that most people use WEP. So this means you get to use WEP on your wireless (or change it when you want to play WiFi games on the DS) which takes about 3-10 minutes to crack. The PSP supports WPA.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

24. darkwing macrumors 65816

No, it's your opinion. Let the OP decide.

Gee, I was writing a comparison of DS and PSP games. Those are GBA games, which are playable by the DS of course, but they weren't in my mind because I was thinking DS games. I have IV, and will buy VI when I can get it for $20 as well. (Why rush out to buy a game I've already played on the SNES and PS?) IV is sitting on top of my PS3 box, still sealed, supporting the left speaker for my surround system. Once I move into the new house I'll get furniture. :)

With the exception of PoPoLoCrois which is a port of like 3 PS1 RPGs, and Legend of Heroes, which were PC games, what else did I list that was a port?

But it might bother the OP, which is why I mentioned it.

25. darkwing macrumors 65816

You'll notice I didn't bring up the multimedia capabilities of the PSP in my comparison. This is because I feel like you do. Who cares? I use my ipod for video only when I ride exercise bikes at the gym (the limit of my cardio-friendly lifestyle) because all my music is on it. I think such things typically only matter if you travel a lot. When I flew to Japan in January I used the ipod for video and the PSP for games. The ipod has a smaller screen, but this allowed me to split my batteries with two different tasks.

If you only are interested in one game for the PSP, then don't buy it! You'll only get upset and wind up selling it later on.