PSP, Wireless, Aeroplane question

Discussion in 'Games' started by AlBDamned, Aug 10, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hi All,

First off, apologies for the fact that I keep posting PSP threads, but this is the latest gadget and, having been on a couple of plane rides in the last two days I have another question:

"What's the score with the PSP's wireless networking with regard to planes?

Obviously the PSP has wireless and therefore transmits a two-way radio signal. I've not had an extensive look, but I can't see anywhere to turn the wireless off. Is it like the USB port in the sense that you have to hit that option to make it live or is it on by default?

The point is, on a plane, you can turn you mobile off, you can turn airport off and so on. But, if you have a PSP, what do you do to make sure wireless is off while flying, or is it off by default?

Apologies if this is covered in the manual, but my PSP is Japanese and the manual is a 127 page pdf doc.

Can anyone answer conclusively?

Cheers,

AL

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

On the lower left edge there is a slide switch which turns the wirelesss on/off. I think you can also check in the system settings to confirm it is turned off.

If I remember to, I'll check when I get home from work. Don't have mine with me.

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Ah, so that's what that little switch is for entirely? There doesn't seem to be anything in System Settings that's obvious. Network Settings isn't any good for it either. I didn't risk it on the plane, either way...

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

There are also two lights on the face of the PSP by that switch. One shows read/write activity on the MS, and the other shows whether or not the Wifi card is turned on. Don't recall off hand which is which.

5. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Those lights seem to blink with some activity but not others, i.e. when you USB it. I just tried it out on the web and it didn't blink at all when surfing.