PSP worth it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Malus, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Malus macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I've been tempted to get a PSP but I'm unsure if I will enjoy it. I'm looking at the ones on ebay, about 150 USD. My buddy said theres alot more you can do with the psp than you can with the DS. And I heard that you can play SNES, NES, and PS1 games on the PSP system...for the owners of a PSP, is it worth it? Thanks

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I love my PSP, although the consensus around here seems to be rather anti-psp.

As for emulating, without getting into an illegalities, it's quite possible but requires some work on your part. It's very easy to find info about with a quick google search. I had NES emulation on mine for a bit but didn't keep it- I'd much rather play the newer psp games than older nes games, but it was cool to have.

There are some great psp games out there though.

3. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

If your willing to frack™ about with all the homebrew and stuff, then yeah, it can do all that stuff. But really, to get it to be able to do all that its a PITA.

I am trading my PSP in for a DS Lite on Saturday, the DS is a hell of a lot more fun.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I have a DS, and it rocks, its one of the best system I've every had.

I don't have a PSP, but I've been looking into it recently(or maybe a 360, it depends on what comes out at MacWorld) The PSP does have somethings going for it, but Sony has not went all out. yet.

There have been rumors that a new PSP will be coming soon, with built in storage, so PS1 games could be downloaded to it(currently you need a PS3 to buy them)...

5. darkwing macrumors 65816

Homebrew is hard and supposedly only works with old firmware, so you will limit your ability to play newer games if you do it. My co-worker in Japan (who I am traveling to see in 2 weeks) has a PSP with old firmware he uses for emulation and wants to buy a new one for games and movies.

I have both a DS and a PSP and prefer the PSP. I don't play any games that use a stylus, and the ones that do I don't use it. The only stylus game I love is Meteos. The DS has 10+ year old graphics and is kinda ugly. If Nintendo had any brains at all, the lid would have two hinges on the sides and have both screens almost touching when open. Having the gap between them is horribly distracting and downright awful.

I love Mario Kart DS though and it's my favorite multiplayer game on a portable.. so whatchagonnado? :)

6. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

definitely worth it. Locoroco is the most fun i have had playing a game. also the psp has great graphics. homebrew is nice but hard to get, and in some cases impossible.

7. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Agreed on LocoRoco- awesome, awesome game and I can't get enough of that song!!

As for homebrew, I will not get into it, but it is a lot easier than most people seem to think- and it doesn't require "really old" firmware. When new firmware comes out it's only a matter of time before someone hjacks it and homebrew works again. Regardless, I no longer have it nor will I go out of the way to get it- but it is there.

I do agree with a previous post that Sony has not gone "all out yet" with the psp- and it really is sad. There are some awesome possibilities within that sexy little machine.

As for zap2's comment about a new psp coming out- yeah that's most likely true, it's really only a matter of time. However, it will be a redesign, like the ds lite was to the ds, not a totally new psp- a psp 1.5 if you will, not a psp 2. I believe samsung was supposedly making an 80 gig hard drive for the psp, or so I have read.

As for the ps3/psp connectability requirement for downloading ps1 games, that is only temporary- just sony being stupid with their head up their ass. The psp is too have direct, online access to the paystation store (supposedly by the end of this month) so that you are not required to have a PS3 to get PS1 games onto your PSP. I am very much looking forward to this. You also do not need a hard drive for this as the game files are relatively small- a 1 or 2 gig card should hold a few PS1 games. A hard drive would/will be great, but you can still get PS1 games onto a PSP with a current PSP system.

All I really want is a white psp, anyways. A hard drive is a bonus. Come on, Sony, give us that white psp already!! :)

8. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

TBH, i think the DS Lite is really much more fun than the PSP. I played the PSP and was unimpressed by many of hte games (although wipeout is fun, but its not like there isn't a fun racing game on the DSL). the new DS Lite also makes it look just as, if not more, sexy than the PSP. So i'd say for 150, you could prolly get a DSL AND a game.

9. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I don't have a PSP but I have played one. I have a DS Lite and I can say that I love it. Sure, the graphics aren't as good as the PSP, but it has so many great games. You could also pick up an M3 or something along those lines for homebrew, movies, music, stuff like that. It's also cheaper. And if you like online play, the DS is the way to go. I have never had any problem trying to find somebody to play Mario Kart DS with. No matter what time it is, people are always playing.

10. darkwing macrumors 65816

iKwick, I wish you would get into it if you are going to say that something a poster said is incorrect. What I've read and what I've been told is that the homebrew stuff requires old firmware or hardware mods, thus making it difficult. If I'm wrong that's great! Please point me in the right direction.

11. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I just don't want to discuss something that is, rather simply, illegal. :)

What I do know (and I haven't looked since) is that homebrew was doable with the original PSP firmware, 1.6 or less firmware, and 2.0-2.6 firmware. When I hjad it I had, at the time, a 2.0 or 2.1 (I don't recall) firmware, and there was a workaround that allowed homebrew if you had a copy of Grant Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. It worked quite wonderfully, really- I just deleted everything when I bought a newer game that required a firmware upgrade.

I don't know where homebrew stands on firmware after that, but I would imagine something has been figured out.

12. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

there already is a white psp out

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I bought a PSP the week they came out in the US, had it for about 6 months. I really tried to get into it, it is beautiful piece of hardware with a great screen, but none the games grabbed me. If the movies were cheaper, I never thought the movies should have been over $10 in the first place, I would have used it all the time for that, but at the time, memory cards big enough were pretty expensive and it was a pain to get movies on it.

I knew it before i bought the PSP and it only confirmed what I thought, I'm not really a Playstation fan anymore. I loved the PS1, played a ton of games on it (Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, FFVII), but I never got the PS2. Not sure why I didn't, just didn't. I got an XBox and Halo and now I play all my games on a 360.

The PSP, like most things Sony makes, has a ton of potential, but Sony never fully allows their products to meet that. I would have love to have seen a small keyboard built for the PSP and support built in for checking email and IM chatting. Imagine if the PSP had the touch screen the DS has, it truly would be the next best handheld device.

I eventually bought a DS Lite and am very happy with it. It is no where near as delicate, you can throw it into your pocket and not worry about it being scatched. I've realized that I like pretty simple games in a handheld, I don't want a system that is trying to recreate console games, it just doens't work. I like side scrollers like Mario.

14. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I have a firmware version 1.5 PSP and use it solely for Emulation/homebrew. That's it. There are some great NES, Genesis, SNES, and GB/GBC/GBA emulators available. I'm pretty sure the newer versions can run homebrew as well, but it's easier on the old ones. Sony keeps bringing out new firmware updates to try and stop homebrew/emulators, but the hackers keep cracking it every time. ;)

15. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Not in the U.s. :(

I really should have imported a white japanese psp last year instead of a new american psp. I mean, I have bought what, 0 umd movies. Bad call on my part.

16. darkwing macrumors 65816

I sure recall seeing a white psp bundle at walmart.com a couple weeks ago but it was like $400. The most expensive one they had by far.

17. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Those sites are outdated, then. Recent homebrew advances allow you to run emulators and such on all but the bleeding-edge firmware.

Now ... for my $0.02. :)

I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time, but at one point I had quite a pile of gaming platforms:
    - NES
    - GameCube
    - PS2
    - PSP
    - DS

Of them all, the PSP seemed to be the most promising, in terms of emulation, games, wifi, graphics, and many other departments. In the end, though, the only game I ever played was Lumines. It never lived up to the hype or to its potential.

That's like paying $300 to play a game of Tetris ... for me, it's just not worth it.

I sold my PSP for $250 on eBay (with a couple of games and some accessories), bought a Wii, and have never looked back. Sony seems to be losing sight of the gaming market and instead seems to be focusing on the high-end consumer electronics market.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's more they seem to be losing sight of what the customer wants. They have simply become so big and egotistic they have become utterly complacent.

The PSX Media Centre re-awakening is proof of that.

Oh well if the PS3 doesnt do too well - it might be the kick in the nutz they need to get their act together.

19. buffalo macrumors 65816

I'm glad to see some positive comments about the PSP. It seems hard to find them here. I have a DS Lite, and my brother recently got a PSP - and right now I'd rather play the PSP. The game we have is SOCOM 2, and the online for this game blows away the DS. I think I saw some 10,000 players online last time I played - 143 signed into playMario Kart last hour. The PSP has better graphics and with better games that came out this year, it should be a solid system to have.

Also, for what it's worth, IGN does not expect a new PSP out this year.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bought one. Played the hell out of it. Realised no games attracted me. Sold it, lost money, oh well. Waaaay down the line and there are still no games that attract me. I mean, Loco Roco? Nice idea and everything but games like that are ten a penny in the indy developer world. Can't believe a game like that has gotten so much praise, is the PSP really devoid of such good games?

21. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

I have both, and the PSP is currently sat in it's case, as it has been for quite a while. It gets played now again, ( GTA: LCS, PoP ) but not very often. The DS, on the other hand, gets played every day. Mario Kart, AC:WW, Metroid, M&L: Partners In Time, not to mention all the GBA games I never got around to finishing. That's without considering the Mana games when they come out ( I live in the UK, we haven't got Children Of Mana yet ).

I think the PSP is a console ( still ) looking for a game to do it justice. That may come this year ( Elder Scrolls, Gran Turismo Mobile, Harvest Moon ). Can it do more than a DS? The main thing I think that it can do better than a DS, is play movies. The screen is unreal ( though a PITA to keep clean :). Music? Wouldn't use either of them, that's what my iPod is for.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you want to play. NES/SNES games? Depending on which ones, you could probably pick up the GBA ports of them. I couldn't comment on the PS1 games, having never tried homebrew ( always seemed too much hassle, just to play games which sorta defeats the object of having a console for me ).

For me, the PSP doesn't compare for being fun, which is what playing games is supposed to be about, isn't it?

22. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Love my PSP. Got one on eBay for £100 with 3 games and think its great. Only use it for occasional gaming and thats where the beauty of the flick it on and its back where you left it comes in. Even the misses has got into so if I can't find it, I know where it is :D

Worth a shot if you ask me. LocoRoco is a must but actually quite enjoying MotoGP atm. A DS does look good though.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have both the PSP and a sexy black DS lite [replacing the red MarioKart DS I gave to my 5yo son], with about a dozen games for each.
    My play time for portables is pretty evenly split twixt the two of them. DS has more original content, while the PSP is more console-like. I'd recommend either portable equally, but can see why some people have a preference [or bias;) ].

24. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I had a DS, sold it for a PSP when it came out.

I REGRET IT SOOO MUCH!

I really cant stand the loading and everything!

I really want a DS lite!

25. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I wouldn't go with a PSP over a DS any day of the week, but I'm planning on buying a the newer PSP redesign later this year. But before that, I'll be upgrading to a Black DS Lite from my current DS.

As for doing more than a DS, that's really subjective, unless "collecting-dust" counts as more. :)

Anyway, just wait for the redesign. It should address a few of the current system's quirks. Ok, I don't know that for sure. :eek:

<]=)