PSP: Worthwhile? Good games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Conthemon, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Conthemon macrumors newbie

does anyone like the psp? what games are good cuz their games aren't that great.

2. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Well I certainly do, but I think it's more about being able to have a portable NBA Live than anything else. I like to be able to sit anywhere, and that's why I like laptops over desktops and portables over consoles. I don't have a ton of games for the PSP, but I do have Ys and Legend of Heroes, both of which I enjoy. I enjoy playing my wife's DS Lite at times, but the PSP is for me. Both are great...to each his/her own.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Games?

Socom
    Daxter
    Wipeout pure
    Tokobot
    Lumines.......Great
    SP: Dark Mirror
    Locco Roco
    Mega Man X
    NBA LIVE 06..
    Metal Gear Ac!d
    Exit
    Lemmings

And some other puzzle games

Bless

4. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I own the psp and ds lite and I have to say I'm playing the psp more. Much more. I didn't think graphics were that big of a deal to me but the psp blows the ds lite away. I think the games are more for me than the ds lite.

You can buy one at your local walmart and rent some games or borrow some from a friend.....if you don't like it then they will give you your money back.

I have to say I think the psp is superior to the ds lite.

5. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Games

I forgot to mention games. Games that I have enjoyed.

Field Commander
    Burnout
    Syphon Filter
    SoCom

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^You will get hang my friend for saying that on this Nintendo populated site.....even though its what you think....be ready for it.

Bless

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOCO ROCO is a mandatory purchase.

Lumines & Mercury are great too.

Dont like anything else I've played on my PSP. I want original IP's like these that really make the best use of the PSP, some scaled down PS2 port just doesnt interest me.

8. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I had a weird feeling that would be my death on MacRumors. I apologize for saying that even though it is what I believe I will never let insane comments like the previously stated comment slip from my apologetic mouth again. I only want to say the things that will get everyone to like me.

haha. I really was worried about typing that. I didn't want people to get upset with me. :D

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Don't worry about it I'll balance you out... I prefer my DS Lite, there's more games on that which I play than on my PSP so it's just down to software choice....

So there ye go, the DS / PSP balance is once again settled... :)

Still I do love those crazy loco's...

10. iShane macrumors 6502a

I have a PSP and two games for it. I like Midnight Club 3:DUB Edition more than my other game which is Need For Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0. I would have to say that lately I have been using the PSP more for internet than for gaming.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Oh gosh I need to import Locco Roco....you are killing me MRU!..stop it!

The peace has been kept.;)

Bless

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I use my psp to surf the web on a quick spot. That's mostly what interested me!:eek:

13. mystereo macrumors member

I have the PSP too. I love the device. I take it everywhere.
    Here's a review of Lemmings.
    If you like sports games, here's a review of MLB 06.
    If you like car chases and shootouts, check out Pursuit Force.

I have stacks of PSP games and I play them all. Plus, I just picked up the SanDisk 4GB Memory Stick and have almost filled that up already. It's a good device but I wish they would improve the web browsing experience though.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Have my story.

I was loving the DS for years, laughing at the PSP all the way. Then somehow I wanted one. Got a good deal too, bought some games in shops. it was good. for 3 days. I just fell out with it so quickly. I played loads of games - Midway collection, GTA:LCS, Daxter, Lemmings (hahahaha), Field Commander, Tales of Eternia (is it called?), Ridge Racer, Wipeout, STA3 and a couple more, and not a single one got me. Just didn't get into any of them.
    I laugh at Lemmings because control was near impossible. Can someone explain to me how a 1992 Amiga game plays worse on a 2006 PSP? oh yea - mouse.

thankfully I finally got it sold, and only lost a few quid so it wasn't too bad. a few quid for the lesson that the PSP is (badly made) pants.

If its games your after you can sell your PSP (or not buy one if you haven't got one) and buy a DS Lite for half the price, literally in the UK. still buy an M3 adapter for films/music/video using a more common, and cheaper memory card format (what on earth were Sony thinking sticking some massively unused memory card format on a handheld device?!) and the Opera browser and still have money left over for any one or two of the killer titles on the system.

15. mystereo macrumors member

I thought about getting a DS too but what games are worthwhile? I don't want Nintendogs. Lemmings was a little rough playing using the d-pad but it's manageable. It made it a lot harder to play on the busier levels though. I just picked up Soccer Tour 06 and maybe Tomb Raider Legend.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Who said Nintendogs was worthwhile? It's an alright "app" to have but it pretty much stops there. If you want to know what games are good then have a look around the forums here. The "what good PSP/DS game" threads around here are getting a little tiring.

manageable? I don't know about that. GB Tetris pretty much told me Dpads+Lemmings wouldn't work. and 12 years later the lesson is still there. You even said yourself it got harder to use.
    and those graphics! plew.
    Lemmings PSP is up there with Lemmings 3D.

17. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Sorry if this hijacks the thread a bit but to answer your question...

Here is my current library of DS games and I like them all. Even better, my girlfriend who hates video games likes some of them...

DS Titles I have:

New Super Mario Brothers
    Brain Age
    Tetris DS
    Animal Crossing Wild World
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Advance Wars Duel Strike

GBA Titles I have:

Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (GBA) (One of my top 5 favorite games ever!)
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)

The best part is that you can pick up used GBA games for $10 or even $5 at some used games stores or over the internet...Here are the games that I plan on purchasing in the furture for my DS Lite. There are many many more good games for DS (including GBA games) than PSP. The new Zelda, FFIII, and Opera alone are worth getting a DS Lite for... PSP wins if you want sports games, racing games or want better graphics but DS wins pretty much otherwise...

DS Titles that interest me:

MARIO KART
    DS Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    BIG BRAIN ACADEMY
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS)
    DS Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All
    Nintendogs
    Starfox DS
    Super Mario 64 DS
    Super Princess Peach
    Resident Evil Deadly Silence
    The Urbz: Sims in the City
    Suduko Gridmaster
    Meteos

GBA Titles that interest me:

FINAL FANTASY 1 & 2 DAWN OF SOULS
    FINAL FANTASY IV ADVANCE
    KINGDOM HEARTS:CHAIN OF MEMORIES
    Super Street Fighter II- Turbo Revival
    Super Mario 3 Advance
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Zelda: Minish Cap
    Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
    Fire Emblem
    Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones

Accessories that interest me:

Opera Browser (Internet Browser)
    Play Yan Micro (MPEG4 & MP3 flashcard player)

and there are tons more I don't even know about...If they remade FFVII got a couple of good sports titles and a good pure racing one for the DS it would be my favorite gaming system ever. Metroid Prime Hunters is a nice online FPS although I would love to see a handheld MMPOG...

18. mystereo macrumors member

I liked the Lemmings graphics. I wish I could've zoomed in more though. BTW, how is the Opera browser on the DS?

19. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Nintendogs is definately a game...just like Animal Crossing Wild World, Brain Age, The Sims etc are games....It is just open ended and the experience is the purpose....The whole point of the Nintendo DS is that gaming can be different than what you expect, which, to me is a good thing. It just makes things more interesting...

It was just released in Japan for internet sale I believe, so nobody knows but the first look article at Digg.com is encouraging. It will have the ability to store cookies and open Java sites but no flash though...It should make a good email checker and general browser for when you are on the road. It will cost about 30 dollars but comes with a DS card and GBA memory expansion so that may justify some of the cost. The touch screen will make it better than the PSP browser and Nintendo doesn't raise the cost of their platform by including features like mp3, mpeg4, internet browsing, Voip in the box...These options are ala carte for those who want/need them...Also, Nintendo licensed the Palm OS a while back so maybe they are planning some productivity apps for the DS...

I have read many complaints from people saying that they don't need a wifi browser for the DS as they would just use their laptop if they were near their home Wifi hotspot. The point of the Opera browser is more for when you travel...ie in hotel rooms, a local McDonalds, a the local Univerisity, your girlfriend's neighbors unprotected hotspot, possibly Starbucks, or any place that uses WEP security...and if you don't want it don't get it...

20. sk1985 macrumors regular

Resident Evil DS is pretty sweet (if you want it buy it now. RE ports seem to come out for a limited time and then disappear forever)
    New Super Mario bros is great.
    Mario Kart is hella sweet.
    Mario 64.
    Metos (I spelled that wrong) is a great puzzle game.
    That's just the tip of the ice burg.

The only reason why I'm going to pick up a PSP is for the metal gear games coming out for that system. I'm a HUGE metal gear fan. I'm just waiting for a price drop.

21. mystereo macrumors member

So wait a sec, the PSP uses the Memory Stick Pro Duo to save games, etc. What does the DS use? Internal drive?

22. Conthemon thread starter macrumors newbie

would it surprise any of u that i myself haev a psp? i love mine, its just the games that dissapoint me. Its my movie music and internet on the go in a cool ass package. the tthing is, games for ANY portable need to have the criteria of lasting appeal and quick bursts of fun. i'm looking for a new game (probably a puzzle game that i can pick up and play and mos def keep me entertained for a wihle.

23. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree with everything you said but with the new Opera browser cart and an imported Play-Yan Micro the DS Lite can do everything that the PSP can multimedia wise soon. If you don't want to import a Play-Yan, M3 etc you can just get a iPod w/video. So really the only thing the PSP has going for it are Driving/Sports games and a bigger screen/better graphics...and to me more fun/playablility trumps better graphics every time...if you are into Metal Gear though that might be a good reason for a PSP...

24. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

It usually uses the game cartridge methinks.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

where have you been in gaming world? The PSP is the only mainstream gaming device that uses a memory card. everything else ever has saved to the game carts.

:confused: