PSP?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SpookTheHamster, Aug 31, 2005.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Now, I've been looking at these for a while. They come out in the UK tomorrow (finally) and I was wondering if they're actually worth getting?

Anybody got one/used one? What's the mp3 playing ability like?

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Screw the PSP, get a Nintendo DS.

*rides thread to Games section, then jumps off before the flames come*

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Game consoles go in the Games forum, where there is, in fact, an entire thread about the PSP ;)

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

seems to be the belief of many that its good, just not yet. its yet to come into its own.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

The PSP is great but if you want to use its multimedia abilities you need to buy a huge memory card for it. mp3 audio is just as good as the iPod. Video playback off memory card is great, I haven't seen a UMD movie but I'm sure they are brilliant. As for the games can't fault them if you like the idea of a PS2 in the pocket.

7. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

If you like the best in technology, get the PSP. It is absolutely beautiful and the screen is amazing. The DS just feels cheap to me, the plastic casing and all. My friend has a DS and none of the games really appeal to me. I have moved out of my Mario/Zelda/metroid stage. But to each their own, they both have things they excel at.

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

The PSP is made of plastic as well ;) What I want to see is Resi:DS

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Best in technology != best games. The PSP costs $260, and only has ONE game that interests me. The DS on the other hand is $130, has quite a few games I'm interested in, not counting the huge library of the Game Boy Advance. It's no competition at all as far as I'm concerned.

11. belvdr macrumors 601

I think the whole portable video game system area is overrated. I was given a PSP and it sits in a drawer. I'm going to purchase the Namco Battle Museum so I can play some older games, but that's it. I don't see what the hype is about. Yes, it is a nice piece of equipment, but it's too expensive and hasn't really taken off.

12. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Buy based off what kind of gams you will play. Also be careful if you do get one many seem to have defects.

13. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

14. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Sorry, didn't notice my mistake.

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to see if my local shop has a demo unit I can look at first

15. TheGimp macrumors 6502

UMD movies on the PSP look fantastic. Quality is just as good as DVD, if not subjectively better due to the small, sharp screen. Allthough the screen resolution is only 480x240, UMD movies the same advanced h.264 codec to be used by the upcoming blueray HD DVD players, so UMD movies on the PSP have much less pixellation and artifacts than do the latest DVDs. My PSP shipped with Spiderman 2, which has knocked the socks off of anyone who's seen it on my system. This being said, I personally would never buy a UMD movie, but if the PSP really takes off, we should expect to see UMD rentals at Blockbuster. A good indication of this would be the current large UMD movie display at Tower Records (Harvard Square, MA) as well as UMD games for rent at Blockbuster. I've been impressed that what initially was an uninspiring title list (i.e. Hollow Man) expanded to inlcude such greats as Hero. If UMD rentals become available, this will make travelling a fun experience. Those who think they could never enjoy a movie on a 4" screen usually fail to take into account that the image looks much larger when the unit is right in front of your face, yet doesn't seem to cause eye strain and still looks very detailed. Add headphones and you're surpisingly immersed.

One warning to prospective buyers, however: Memory stick video on the PSP, regardless of compression format, will not let you use the full 480x240 PSP resolution. Built in support is limited to 320x240, but it is very easy to play movies coded in other dimensions using the free terminal app "PSPrez", which fools the PSP by appending a dummy header to encoded movies before you load them onto your psp.