Psp2?

Discussion in 'Games' started by carve, Jan 23, 2007.

1. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Hello to all! I was wondering if they Sony was going to make a "PSP2? How much do you think it will cost? Do you think a Nintendo DS Lite Trade in Value will cover the PSP2 cost? Thanks!

2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Anyones guess on the next revision of the PSP. No way the trade in of a DS lite will come close to covering it though.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I saw a picture in Sony's magazine of it from behind. Supposedly it will be out this fall. If they address the battery life and a few other areas, I'll be guaranteed to buy it.

But there's no farging way I would trade a DS Lite for a PSP any day of the week. Unless you don't like fun games and would rather take up dust collecting. ;)

<]=)

4. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

sony are expected to release a psp2 in the coming months/years.

EDIT: jackaxe beat me to it

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

agreed. Also there's no farging why that a DS Lite traded in will cover the cost of a PSP2 as it wil be at least the same retail price as the replacing model.

Sony are making profit on the PSP. They can use this profit to offset some of the loss they make on PS3 hardware. They are NOT going to sacrafice that and release a PSP2 at a lower cost than a DS Lite period.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You would think they would have learned from the PSP 1.

7. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

Maybe they can introduce a new ill-fated media format for it. UMD2 or something.

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

And then maybe you can troll about it here more :rolleyes: UMD is perfectly capabale as a game format, heck it holds more data than the proprietary nintendo carts, and Nintendo licensee's tried video on the GBA/DS and failed...

The PSP2 i would guess will be out late this year or mid next year. I expect it to have a lot of integration with the PS3, and hopefully some built in flash memory of some kind. I never had any issues with my screen, nor do i mind the placement of the buttons. The only thing that bugs me about 1.0 is the fact that when im playing if the battery is going low chances are i wont see the green light flashing as its blocked by my hand.

I would bet that the PSP will still have an upgraded screen, integrated camera, and a UMD format that held more data than the current generation but kept the same form factor for backwards compatibility.

Price wise i put it at the exact price point the PSP was started at.

Rumor has it that some BD will come with a "portable" version of the movie, maybe this feature will be built in to the PSP as well.

Ed

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

True. It wasnt UMD's fault for movie playback, it was simple; People didnt want to pay $20-30 to watch a movie on a hand held device period.

As a games format it's grand, I have no problem with it.

10. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Even though it is of course a portable media format, i always thought it was a bit stingy not to have any extras at all on the PSP UMD films.

Maybe its just me, been pampered by DVD.

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

When I had my PSP, I loved the screen and watching movies, well....watching the only movie I had, Spiderman 2. I said it when they came out, they shouldn't be selling them for more than $10, since it can only be played on that system. I would have bought quite a few if they were that price. Also, they should have bundled the UMD version with the DVD version for an extra $5 or so more, they would have done well there as well. I was not willing to pay the same price, and sometimes more for a disk that has less media and could only be used in the PSP.

If there really is a PSP2, I might look into getting one again. They are finally starting to get a few games I would really want to play on a portable system.

I'm not really sure what I would want different in a version 2. Maybe a brighter screen like the DS Lite. I would like to see the form factor shrink and become a little more comfortable to use.

12. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

Yes, I suppose my comment was trollish. Sorry.

I have no problem with UMD as a game format either; I thought it was a little silly to push movies on the PSP, but then again I'm not keen on video iPods either. Feel free to dismiss my opinions if you have not done so already.

I would be delighted to see some good games come out on the PSP or if it happens, the PSP2. I have the DS Lite and a PSP, and feel like the DS has been getting way more support and games, but if Sony & their third party support can give me a cool game I want to play on the PSP than I will snatch it up. Same goes for any sweet games on a future portable. I just want to play cool games; doesn't matter who makes them or the platform.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow, I guess you didn't mind the loading huh.

What they should fix-

-There's always a trade off - capacity against loading times. What I would like to see is large internal drive, 15gb minimum that would store the whole game, though still interchangeable. You sort of install the game to the drive. Of course they'd have to get around the piracy issue there, either have the games "unlocked" when online, a la Steam. or have a mini chip in in the UMD that says "nah this game is tied already - no copy for you!". Plus this would work with the PS3's PS1 download game thingy. More storage is needed. Loading times comparable to consoles on a handheld system is bad, it escapes the point of what a handheld is supposed to be.
    -Battery life. Enough said.
    -Button placement too close to screen.
    -Analogue nub is crap, needs dual mini analogue sticks or something.
    -Vibrate feature? haha. sorry.
    -Better screen. People bang on about the PSP screen and how great it is - have these people not seen the horrific blur? It's like playing with motion blur permanently on. Does not bode well for 2D games at all.
    -better d-pad, perhaps higher raised keys?
    -2 sets of shoulder buttons for PS1 playback.
    -smaller form factor. The DS Lite set standards of next gen handheld portability, the Micro the same for last gen. These are meant to be portables after all. For a joke I tried sticking the PSP in my jeans and walked through my campus... yea. not intended for pockets.
    -better speakers. Coming from Sony I should expect much better sound quality.
    -hell... go to town on the thing and market it as a PS3 controller - stick some gyros in there. The display could turn off for PS3 mode to save batteries.
    -better hold switch. I tried taking the thing off hold once but scared I was going to turn the machine off. Perhaps an L shaped switch instead.
    -weight.

Above all though - some quality games. Loco Roco was nice but I couldn't help think it needed a Wii or PS3 controller.

Though part of me can't picture it being a huge thing. After all, they wont want to alienate the PSP1 owners especially as the PSP1 is still very young.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

No need for a PSP2 right now...the PSP is bringing in cash and like MRU said theres no need to screw that up. It was kinda dumb of them not to add extra materials AND charging at a full DVD price:rolleyes:

Only a select few games have loading issues...not all.

Bless

15. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

you won't see PSP2 for a while(another 3-4 years maybe).....you may see a PSP "lite" per se, but I even doubt that some.

PSP2 will more than likely wait for micro-CELL technology.
    Besides they have yet to fix the PSP battery issue and unlock the clock to its fullest potential.
    AS far as I know its still running at 222MHz

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I was about to post that in reply to Jimmi's post. The games I play (most puzzlers) dont really suffer from bad loading so its not an issue for me.

17. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

how about UMD-Blue, i.e. blue laser UMD discs for more storage than anyone would ever need ever.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Given the problems sony has had getting enough blue diodes made I think its best they leave that idea alone ;) :D

Yeah same here tbh.

19. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Check out my PSP2: :)

[​IMG]

It has a 480x320 "touch sensitive" screen and even a music remote...

Oh yeah, this is my $600 Clié I bought back in 2002 and it was the music feture that really made this thing suck. Never mind.

Just give me faster load-times, a better battery life, and LEAVE all of your DRM-F***ED music crap out of it.

<]=)