Psst! At the "Genius" Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aminadab, Sep 5, 2005.

1. aminadab macrumors regular

So I'm bringing in my 23" ACD; aside from the dead pixel, it has that pink stuff in the corners everyone has been complaining about. Any last minute pointers before I go up beg for a new monitor?

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

If they give you any smack about it, of course don't forget to mention how much you paid for an obviously defective piece. Good luck, hopefully it'll all turn out.

3. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

If they give you any guff (that's right, guff), remind them (and correct me if I'm wrong) that all Apple products come with a 14-day return period.. I think.. right? ;)

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Try sobbing.
    Fluttering your eyelashes?

OK, not really! :p

Just get on their case about "I spent $yadayadayada on this!!"

5. aminadab thread starter macrumors regular

yes but restocking fee on a 23"??? I really don't want to eat that. He's setting it up right now...

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

if its defective there wouldn't be a restocking fee

7. aminadab thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, everything taken care of. They replaced it with a new one. This one is perfect. The guy made sure that the one he pulled was the latest production model -- it shipped 30 Aug 05. I'm sure you all know this, but the next time I buy anything from the Apple store I'm making sure the guy gets the box that just came off the truck. Thanks for all of your help.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

do you employ this tactic often?

9. 40167 macrumors regular

Just because the box came off the truck recently, doesnt decrease your chances of having a bad unit; in some cases it can actualy increase the likely hood since that batch hasn't been looked at yet, thus the entire batch could be broken.

Example (using a recent mp3 story, and adding you to the picture): A shipment of a few thousand MP3 players leave the building, each and every one of those was equiped with an extra malware for everyone once it was plugged in. You happen to buy an mp3 player on the same date requesting that you get one "directly off the truck/most recent shipment" [of untested/unlooked at units]; you proceed to go home and plug it in getting a bunch of problems. While if you would have either gotten one from the shipment directly before; or have waited till this shipment was looked at then you would have never had that problem.

Getting the most recent shipment off the truck pretty much guarentees either A) no one looked at those units yet for malfunctions or B) very few have been looked at, and in the case of computer hardware you want alot from the batch looked at because many people won't bother going to bring back a defective unit (specificly a display with pink tint); mainly becuase they might never notice.

10. aminadab thread starter macrumors regular

Got you, that makes sense. This thing is perfect -- so far. The guy said that this new one was the third revision since the one I had bought at first. I wonder what they did in the meantime -- different bulbs, wires....

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Totally.. No....

;)

I've never done that.

I am a dirty liar. Ignore this post!!
    :D :D

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

After reading some of your stories, I find it hard to believe that you've never tried that :p

13. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

ACDs are at the third revision? Did I miss this thing or is such a minor thing that it is not worth mentioning?

Good for you that you were able to exchange your display for the good one.
    I would like to have one to. Damn Apple for creating such an attractive piece of hardware. :D

By the way, did you have spend a lot of time persuading this guy/gal to give you another display or once he saw what was the problem he went ahead and exchanged it?

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I just learned how to change the color of my text.

reread it and highlight.

15. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

So has apple thus far eliminated (for the most part) those problems we were hearing about the alum ACDs? The off-color, banding, dim, faded issues?

I'd love to get one.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Bah, if I'd used the Quote function, I would've noticed that!

17. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135