PSX Emulator for the Mac.

Discussion in 'Games' started by neoelectronaut, Sep 29, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Are there any good PSX emulators for OS X? I tried Flarestore a while back but wasn't too successful...maybe a new version is better.

Could I run the Linux version of ePSX on my Mac?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. Barham macrumors regular

The newest version of Flarestorm works really well if you run it on software fullscreen. You don't actually get a full screen picture, but you can use the core adjustments to get a really solid and natural framerate. There are still some sound issues, but it's much better than it used to be.

-Hasta

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Just to clarify, this is for PS1 games, correct?

5. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Yessum. PSX is the abbreviation for the original Playstation console.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah.. I thought the PSX was the short-lived PS2 sold with harddrive.

7. supergod macrumors 6502

Virtual Game Station works really well if you can find it. I had it on a G4 imac 700mhz 512mb RAM, Geforce 2 and it ran most games perfectly... now I have a G5 and I can't find any G5 compatible emulators. If anyone knows any than that would be great but otherwise I'm going to wait until I can get a copy of VPC 7 and run a PC PSX emulator (mac emulating PC emulator PS. CRAZY!)

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Er, okay? I've always known the original Playstation as the PSX. Why would I ask for a PSX emulator when I could just ask for a PS2 emulator?

9. brap macrumors 68000

ooh-er, I've never managed to get it to run any game, it runs the intro sequences fine but hangs once real work is needed. :confused:

VGS, btw, won't work on OS X. At all. Not even in Classic.

Edit: Yellow, yeah, I remember that rumoured PSX unit... it was supposed to be like a home entertainment centre, with PS2 & HD for TV recording and such, wasn't it?

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Wait for the port of PCSX to come to the Mac. Someone is working on it. It was supposed to be released this month, but some technical difficulties with the developer had temporarily stopped development.

CVGS is still the best if you can boot into OS 9.

11. Barham macrumors regular

You have to have the Flarestorm 2 file, and it does require some tuning with the plugin settings. It does play games though. I'm playing through Final Fantasy VII right now. It crashes sometimes, but it's not a problem if you save every once in a while.

I wish I would've known about CVGS before I started this FF Game. It takes too long to get to where I am. Maybe on my next classic RPG.

-Hasta

12. heyadol macrumors member

Actually, Yellow is right. PSX is a nickname for the original PlayStation but it has never been used in an official capacity (ie. advertising or sales). According to Sony, PSX is a PS2 released around Christmas 2003 in Japan. It had a hard drive and dvd burner and acted as a DVR in addition to playing most PS1 & PS2 games and was available in two configurations (depending on the size hard drive you wanted). It sold poorly...

13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I just seem to recall "PSX being used as the abbreviation in magazines and not to mention it's in the damn URL of http://psx.ign.com.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

"PSX" is officially the name that Sony dubbed it's PS2 w/ HD, w/ Linux Kit, et al.

Buy a PSX
    Buy a PSX
    Buy a PSX

Since it was only released in Japan, Sony planned on dropping it in the U.S. and decided against it due to lackluster sales in Japan, it never made it to the US to correct all the incorrect usage of PSX referring to PSOne. PSOne is how the original PlayStation is marketed now. Not as a PSX. PSOne. I don't care who calls it that, it's just plain wrong. Since I've been reading "The Official Playstation Magazine" since I got my PS2 in 2001, I've only seen "PSX" used in reference to the hardware above. Hence, my confusion.

Decaf.

15. Barham macrumors regular

It does refer to the original playstation. The earliest ads for playstation actually had the system nicknamed PSX. The reason for this was because the Playstation was orginally an add on for the SNES designed to compete with SegaCD for the Genesis. Nintendo dropped the project when it was nearly complete and after that Sony dubbed their new system based on that add on, the Playstation X. It never took off, as a nickname, but was later used on the PS2/HD/DVR that was only sold in Japan.

-Hasta

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sing along!!

I say Potato. You say Potatoe.
    I say Tomato. You say Tomatoe.
    Potato. Potatoe.
    Tomato. Tomatoe.
    Let's wasteland this whole thread!

17. imac_japan macrumors member

imac_japan

It sold poorly because of the price and most people here have either a PS2 or Gamecube (sorry x-box users but it flopped big time here - hahaha). A standard PS2 is around 18,000 yen new and the harddrive version is 29,000 yen. Well the PSX (while it has more features eg: Tv tuner, hd recorder) is around 80,000 yen. Way too expensive !!!

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow