Psychic Ability

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I just got back from seeing John Edward tonite. The seminar was very good. He basically is able to recieve messages from the "other side" and through throwing them out, is able to pass on messages of the dead to those still here on earth. For those who are not familiar, he's a psychic/medium who has a show called "Crossing Over," which has become a big success in the past couple years, on the Sci-Fi channel...

here's a link to find out more about him:
    http://www.johnedward.net

Do any of u guys believe in psychic powers? have u ever been to a psychic? ever communicated with the dead? want to communicate with the dead?

2. macrumors 68040

I believe in psychic powers, I just have little faith in John Edward's abilities. It always seems to me like he just starts out vague and gets the person to give themselves a message. I may be missing something though. If you're interested in the subject you may want to check out http://www.artbell.com

3. thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I completely understand your point of view...but after tonite...I am pretty damned convinced of his abilities...

he was hitting on so many things....and unless the people in the crowd were just really good actors, I'd say he was very accurate and hit home to them all...

4. macrumors 68040

I'm not completely disregarding him, all I'm saying is that when you watch the show on the TV it seems edited so you can't tell what's going on very well. I'll take your word for it though.

5. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Call me a Doubting Thomas, but I think it's about as real as WWF. :D

6. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Psychic ability is one of those things that people can really go either way with.

Some see it as a convenient way of explaining strange phenomena (precognition, ESP), while others look at the science behind it (brain activity).

I believe that the human mind is an amazing thing, capable of feats beyond our imagination...after all, we only use what, 10-30% right?

I also believe that there are some things that cannot be explained any other way. Take for instance studies that find that on days when a plane crashes, there are unusually high numbers of cancellations by passengers on those flights. People just cancel because they "feel ill". I don't know if recent studies bear this out, but I know I was pretty freaked out when I read it.:eek:

7. macrumors 68040

Actually we use around 80% of our brain. We use 10% at any given moment. Still, we don't know what the hell most of the brain is doing.

8. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think there are things we don't understand, that's for sure. As for psychic, I've never met any and most of the time I see them is late nite tv commercials for the Psychic Friends Hotline - not exactly somethign to trust.

But I have had some weird experiences personally, can't reall explain them, so I have to say the there are senses and abilities we don't really know about. Besides, you always here stories about the psychics who help solve police climes....that is weird ****

9. macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Psychic Ability

I picked the speeds of the new PowerMacs before they were released a couple of MW's back, does that count?

As for being a beleiver... no, not really. It's kind of like magic... you go and see a magic show, you watch it and go 'wow, that's cool', but you know no one's in the box when it's being cut in half - you just don't know how the person got out of the box...

Man that's a weird comparison. If you understand it, you're doing better than me! :D

10. macrumors 68040

mac15

I believe in that phsycic stuff cause take twins for example they have like some mystical bond thing
    and its strange so yeah I believe

11. macrumors 6502

psychic powers

its actually as simple and normal as eating, sleeping and passing st....l

the only "magic" with it is....some do have it and most do not...its rare.

That again is not because only few have it....no..we all have it but mostly its dormant and to the few who experience it, its happening only a few time in a life time.

Psychic power can be developed though trough very simple technics such as meditation.

Although I would hardly even call it "developing" since its there in the first place but its merely that higher level of consciousness is penetrating down to our consciousness.

Some people may experience it when completly relaxing such as sitting on a lonely beach (like Dukestreet) :D

Clairvoyance can be developed by concentrating on a bright object (crystal ball) or others but predictions of such people are almost never completely correct :p

And last, even LSD has the effect of giving certain glimps into other levels of our mind......but thats not a recomendable way to go :eek:

12. thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: psychic powers

This is one of the many things that he spoke about last night. He said that every one us there had the ability to do just as he is doing...that everyone has the ability...but the part of actually being able to tap into it is what separates most people from those such as himself.

I completely think that some people are able to exhibit a sixth sense...and I also believe that many people have experienced it as well. Anything from just "having a feeling" of something to happen to sometimes sensing someone close by & even a slight touch, but when u look no one is there...this all falls in line with the ways.

I believe there are ghosts & spirits all around us everywhere we go. I know it's corny, but like the movie The Matrix, it's a matter of just freeing your mind to it.

13. macrumors 6502

Ghosts and Spirits

erm....actually part of the explanation about Ghosts and Spirits you can read in my thread about Yoga but only partially.

So if you want to hear more about my explanation...let me know.

Its a bit long but interresting.

But I don't want to waste my time on something that people just push aside as "crap" :D

14. thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Ghosts and Spirits

I completely understand...I'm going to have to go back to the yoga thread to reread it...it's been a while...

15. macrumors 6502

its in the part about "5 fundamental factors" and two are getting lost :eek:

16. macrumors 68030

britboy

I agree with hemingray here. Whilst i believe that the potential of the brain is nowhere near being realised, i don't think mind-reading and the like are possible.

I'm a sceptic, what can i say?

17. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: psychic powers

I have it on an irregular basis, I probably need to develop it some more. I'm not really all that jazzed talking about it because its really weird sometimes. But I usually can get something right when I'm in between sleep and waking up, where I let my mind drift and don't concentrate on any single thought. I've had some amazing 'views' and other times if I lay back in bed at night, close my eyes and 'look' at the pictures and thoughts that sort of flash up in rapid succession. It so friggin hard to explain, sorry. But its not the spots you see in when you close your eyes, I can actually get impressions of images, sort of like fuzzy photographs...like I said, weird

18. macrumors 6502

Dukestreet

it's 11:30 pm here so I have to go and sleep.

If you like, I can give you some hints about what is happening to you tomorrow.
    Its not so weird, but maybe difficult to understand :)

19. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Dukestreet

I think I'll have no problem understanding it, I have a pretty open mind about this sort of thing. I have to since I can see the *images* pretty much anytime I relax. I can also control my dreams, I don't ever really have nightmares and if things start to go a little south, I change course. Best example would be falling off a cliff and starting to fly before I hit the ground.....

so go right ahead and post your thoughts, I'd love to read them.

D

20. thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Dukestreet

maybe he can tell me what's going to happen with the pizza hottie?! :D

21. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It doesn't work that way for me, at least. I don't look for something specific, I just get what ever it happens to be. I think I'll need to work on getting better control

What's up with pizza girl? You going to see her this weekend?

22. Retired

jefhatfield

i don't believe in those types of powers for anyone

in christianity, even jesus christ admitted that he did not know exactly when he was coming back

so when i hear of religious figures like pat robertson somehow having psychic powers over the tv set, then i get really skeptical

then why couldn't old pat robertson use those powers to play the stock market so he could just provide free programming and not ask us for money over the tv set?

and what stops any psychic from just cleaning up at wall street? or betting on tyson or the lakers or the arizona diamondbacks - now there's an endless supply of money...he he:p

23. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

because they're not in it for the money!

Come on jef, you know they can only use their powers for good.....

24. Retired

jefhatfield

but money can be used for good, too

use it to feed the starving of the world

cure cancer, diabetes, and aids

fight terrorism

etc

25. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

jef, I was joking, I was going to put the ;) and :rolleyes: in but I didn't think it was necessary.

Its sort of like the saying that the man who doesn't want to be king is the best man for the job. People who are claiming to be psychics and asking for you money are mostly con artists working a scam. There are people out there who have gifts, but they don't need to go the commercial route....