Psychometric tests (or how another job application will go down the drain)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by floyde, Jun 27, 2006.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I went to a job interview last Friday, it went pretty well. The interviewer said that he "really, really liked my profile" and that I'd been "the only one so far that didn't answer his questions with plain bs". He even got a bit exited and hinted that there was a certain project that he would love to assign me to. Furthermore, I was highly recommended by a friend that already works there (and not just because we're friends).

So why don't they just hire me already and put an end to my misery?!?! (I hate my current job) Now I have to go and take 5 psychometric tests that will last about 3+ hours. I hate these things... They'll find out that I'm erratic, and yes they'll know that it takes me 3 times more than average to perform simple arithmetic calculations (I let computers do all the math work :eek: ), and that I wear my socks backwards, and that I don't mind wearing dirty shoes and whatnot. And yes they'll find out that I absolutely, positively suck at taking psychometric tests!

Anyway the point of my rant is that I don't get why employers think these stupid tests have any importance at all when deciding if a candidate is good for a job. I know people that have scored perfect in these tests and they don't even know their own name, let alone how to perform a job. I'm a great candidate for this position, I really am, but after I take these tests I'm expecting the dreaded "Thanks a lot, we'll call you back :( "

2. Queso macrumors G4

I got turned down for a job in 1997 thanks to these tests. The guy told the agent that the results showed me as "confident, willing to put his ideas forward, and able to effectively lead. In short, too dynamic and not what we're looking for."

Thinking back, I had a narrow escape. Would you want to work in a job where those qualities are considered negatives? However, relating all of that to your situation, you never know what the results they want are, so you may be perfect from the test results whatever they turn out to be.

Good luck!!

3. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

In some cases, employers take the "high middle" scorers from the psychometric/apptitude tests. Too low, you're obviously not good enough but very high marks, people can tend to be over confident etc.

Just be natural and realistic with your answers. Keep calm and you'll be fine. Good luck :)

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I feel phychometric test do have their place in rooting out that fella that doesn't shower once hired, drinks vonka on the job, or otherwise has two heads.

However, I agree with what I think I'm reading here: there seems to be too much emphasis placed on these tests. There is just no replacement for the human 'gut feel' of the interviewer.

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I've never heard of these. Do they just ask you questions?

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Just remember that you have no Idea what type of person they're looking for. Maybe they already have too many assertive types that butt heads too often, and they're looking for somebody a little more passive. If you get turned down from these tests it's nothing personal, it's just that you're not a good fit at the current time.

7. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Here's a company that supplies them to employers.

Though if you never taken a personality survey its interesting what you find out about yourself. Here's two good ones:

The long one: The three sides of you

The shorter one: Jung Typology Test

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Tanglewood

Ahh, the Myers-Briggs. Yes, I remember the last time I took that, oh, about 10 months ago. The testors found that, while driving I had a habit of "J"-ing in the straightaways and "P"-ing in the corners.

9. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I recently got a new job and I had to sit some of these type of tests. Nothing about personality but I did a numerical reasoning and literacy test. I scored awfully on the numerical one (only in the 39th percentile) but they said that I performed well in all of the other tasks so they weren't too bothered.

Sounds like you already impressed them and did well at the rest of your interview/assessment so I am sure you should be alright even if you don't do brilliantly.

I start on Monday.

Good luck!

10. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

haha, so you judge the straightaways and preceive the corners. Nice.

I'm an ESTJ.

I had to take these two tests for a class last semester and write a report on personality test used in the work place and pull from my own experiences taking them. I guess it fits well with this thread.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Bear in mind that it might depend on what the rest of the team you'd be working are; they'll want someone to complement the team, not cause chaos.

I'm a very strong ENTP - my E/I is the closest score and even that's pretty definitely E

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Isn't that what references are for?

Sad days when employers think a readout can provide more information about a potential employee than those who have actually worked with that person.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-thedude110

Welllll, in my experience References are biased toward the positive - heck! Mine are! And according to law, anything said by a reference or any party contacted by the prospective employer that can even be construed as negative constitutes slander and/or libel.

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Sadly, not any longer. A lot of places are afraid to say anything more than answering the "Would you hire this person again?" question. Anything more than that could be grounds for a lawsuit from the applicant. At least, that's often the perception.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Apparently my fictional category equivalent includes Hannibal Lecter. The assessment was spookily accurate though. Chianti, anyone?

16. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I took the tests and I didn't do too well (as expected), but I didn't do that bad either.

The timed ones were particularly troublesome. I get distracted very easily and there were some people fixing stuff (making banging noises and such), so I couldn't finish a few sections. Also, I have a tendency to make mistakes while typing quickly and the tests had to be done on Excel. So I don't have high expectations about my results on that one :eek: .

The personality tests will probably give the reviewer a headache, as I am a walking contradiction™ :D

Anyway, I'm glad it's over now. I did my best, so the rest is no longer up to me :)

Not here in Mexico ;)

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Huh.

I never give all positive references.

What would be the point?

18. Queso macrumors G4

Let us know whether you get the job :)

*Crosses fingers*

19. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I can't imagine hiring anyone who P's in the corner...

Man am I punchy this morning

20. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Well it's been three days and no call... I hate to be pessimistic, but I am... :confused: :p

21. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MongoTheGeek

Thank you!!! You got the joke!

-floyde

Call them Monday (unless the US's 4th interferes, then do it Wednesday). If still no response, tell them you will call next Monday, and on and on until something changes. This is a great way to be tenacious without being annoying.

22. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

39th percentile is still considered average. So no, you didn't do too bad.

23. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I can tell you, as someone who administered psychological testing for a living, that you probably did better than you think. Can you remember any test items specifically? Research suggests that the more items you remember from a test, the more likely you did well. (has to do with familirarity with the material.) Were you administered an IQ, or was it simply personality profiling like a MMPI, or was it more career personality profiling like the Myers-Briggs etc?

I imagine that your personality profile is more consistent than you think. You should ask for the results of the testing whether or not you get the job. It is personal information they have collected and you should be able to have access to it.

As far as doing well on timed tasks, it depends on the timed task of course, some you only get points on the one you get correct, others, you get points for the ones you get correct and docked for the ones that you get incorrect. Were you slow and methodical, or did you try to get as many done as possible?

Also, it may be that they are not using the results per se, but to simply evaulate how you do under stress. I'm sure you did much better than you think. I have tested hundreds of people and only a handful (literally less than 10) people have thought they did better than they actually did. :)

24. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

You were right! I got the job!!!:eek: :)

**Dances stupid touchdown dance**

Although it could've been that I did so well in the actual interview that they had to overlook my test results...

25. Queso macrumors G4

Well done and congratulations. That's great news :)