Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAEL55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
I am building a home theater room in our house that is under construction and I need some guidance on the installation of the projector I recently chose. I decided to go with the Panasonic PT-AE3000U due to the overwhelming positive feedback I have seen on this model on the internet.

To familiarize you with my setup, here is what I have to work with.

Room dimensions – 22’L x 12’W x 9’T
All walls/ceiling will be painted Crimson Red (Roll Tide!)
No ambient light – all controlled dimmer lighting
Carada Criterion 92” 178:1 (16:9) Brilliant White Projector Screen (1.4 gain… whatever that means)

I read the online manual and see the recommended throw distance for that screen size is between 9 and 18 feet approximately. I plan on setting it up at about 13 feet. One thing I need to factor in (from what I read) is that the projector can only be 100% higher than the center of the screen when mounted to the ceiling. So basically I need to either raise the screen up the wall or lower the projector. My confusion comes in at what exactly is 100%? Does it mean that if the viewing area of the screen is 45 inches tall then my projector lens cannot be any higher than 45 additional inches from the top of the viewable surface? Very unclear on that and I would really appreciate some advice on this area.

Also, I based my projector and screen selections purely based on what I have read on the internet. I have never had a projector setup and have never actually seen a personal home theater with one either. I fought back and forth between just buying a really big LCD flat panel and a projector but from what I read on the internet it is possible to achieve very bright, sharp 1080p images with this projector and the right screen combo. Based on what I have written, what is your input on my selections? The room will not suffer from ambient light intrusion and I am looking for a bright, vivid movie watching experience that also produces good black level for the darker scene details. I would really appreciate feedback from everyone – thanks!

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
I've had a personal dedicated home theatre set up for about 5 years now. LCD televisions are nice, but you'll never get the wow factor that a 100 inch properly installed HD projector will give you. As for me, I've always used Optoma projectors, I've never regretted it, and have never had any inclination to choose any other brand. From the reviews I've read, the PT-AE3000U is a fine machine.

Now, the problem with ceiling mounted projectors will always be lamp life, brightness/contrast, and set-up. But all this is mute if the actual video source is poor. You cannot use an AppleTV, or a DVD player, or watch digital cable. The video material from these sources just plain sucks when you blow them up across 100 inches. BluRay, Xbox360, PS3, 1080i and 720p cable (quality varies by provider) are the only video materials useful for these projectors. Whats looks very good on your television right now will probably look great on your HD projector, but what looks bad will probably look atrocious.

As for your screen, I would probably look elsewhere. It's a fine screen and an expensive one at that. There are some great screens on the internet that will deliver pretty much the same quality for about half the price. I would personally stay away from Carada. If you're willing to spend that much money on a screen, you might as well spend the few extra dollars and get a Da-lite High Contrast CinemaVision. If you want to save money, take a look at Elite-Screens. I personally have an Elite-Screen and it's phenomenal, couldn't ask for more. Good luck with your set-up.

WooBah

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
I've had a personal dedicated home theatre set up for about 5 years now. LCD televisions are nice, but you'll never get the wow factor that a 100 inch properly installed HD projector will give you. As for me, I've always used Optoma projectors, I've never regretted it, and have never had any inclination to choose any other brand. From the reviews I've read, the PT-AE3000U is a fine machine.

Now, the problem with ceiling mounted projectors will always be lamp life, brightness/contrast, and set-up. But all this is mute if the actual video source is poor. You cannot use an AppleTV, or a DVD player, or watch digital cable. The video material from these sources just plain sucks when you blow them up across 100 inches. BluRay, Xbox360, PS3, 1080i and 720p cable (quality varies by provider) are the only video materials useful for these projectors. Whats looks very good on your television right now will probably look great on your HD projector, but what looks bad will probably look atrocious.

As for your screen, I would probably look elsewhere. It's a fine screen and an expensive one at that. There are some great screens on the internet that will deliver pretty much the same quality for about half the price. I would personally stay away from Carada. If you're willing to spend that much money on a screen, you might as well spend the few extra dollars and get a Da-lite High Contrast CinemaVision. If you want to save money, take a look at Elite-Screens. I personally have an Elite-Screen and it's phenomenal, couldn't ask for more. Good luck with your set-up.

I respectfully disagree. I have a Panasonic PT-AE900U and I have a 130 inch screen, seating distance is about 12 feet and the picture quality is outstanding on the apple tv and cable. In fact, I use my apple tv almost exclusively and everyone that comes over says WOW! Maybe, the Panasonic is better at scaling video or whatever, I am not versed in all these areas, but I know what I see and what folks see on my screen.

I have the PT-AE900U connected via hdmi to a Pioneer VSX-txh23 receiver as well as my cable box, apple tv, Xbox and Wii. All look outstanding on the big screen!

jlasoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have the PT-AE900U connected via hdmi to a Pioneer VSX-txh23 receiver as well as my cable box, apple tv, Xbox and Wii. All look outstanding on the big screen!

I have an Optoma HD8200 connected to an LG BD390 BluRay player and nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to the quality, beauty, detail, and sharpness that is delivered to my screen.

The AppleTV is fine product if you don't mind the average resolution. I'm not denigrating the AppleTV, far from it, I have one myself. I was only assuming that an individual who would spend roughly $5,000-$10,000 on a brand new set-up would want the best. To each his own. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.