Public Beta of Adobe Creative Suite 3?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 10, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider claims that Adobe is considering releasing a public beta of Creative Suite 3.0 as early as this month. This new version of Creative Suite would provide Universal Binary (Intel) support and be available to all current Creative Suite 2.0 license holders.

Creative Suite is Adobe's software bundle containing their professional design software, which includes Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

It's been long known that the next version of Creative Suite would be the first version to provide native support for the new Intel-based Macs. While Apple has successfully transitioned the entire Mac line over to Intel processors in 2006, it's thought that many professional users may be awaiting native versions of Adobe Creative Suite before upgrading to the newest Macs.

Adobe demoed Photoshop CS3 at Photoshop World in September.

2. macrumors member

:D ah shucks... one more thing to add to my "if I had a mac" pile. (which is under my "if I had $$$$" pile :rolleyes: )

Time to waltz over and watch Apple stock go up...

3. macrumors P6

twoodcc

well this could be good news for those still holding on to their PPC macs.

4. macrumors 6502

But even better news to those holding on to their intel macs ;)

5. macrumors 68020

public beta means free right? I hope so. *fingers crossed*

6. macrumors 6502a

Peel

But remember that the key word is BETA. I wouldn't use the CS3 software for any critical projects - meaning anything that pays the bills.

7. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Helps to read the article ;)

8. macrumors regular

This would not only make many Adobe CS users very happy, but it may also provide the incentive for many G5 users to upgrade to a new iMac, MacBook Pro, or MacPro.

Wahoo!

9. macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

Lightroom Beta has been free, so I don't see why this shouldn't be too. Only available to registered users of CS2, if true would seem to be the only restriction.

But HEY! this IS only a rumour!

10. macrumors 68030

princealfie

This beta should be completely open to the public I hope.

11. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Not quite. See kainjow's post above.

12. macrumors member

kenzbud

Have they announced (or any rumors floating around on) any new features for the program besides being universal?

13. macrumors member

time to scour eBay for a shiny pre-loved powermac g5

14. macrumors member

kenzbud

I was thinking bout getting a new 15" Macbook Pro, but if it doesn't work with my budget I might have to part with my Powermac G5 :(

15. macrumors 68000

It's a shame that they won't be opening this to CS1 users, many of which I'm sure are interested in this upgrade.
    -Chasen

16. Moderator emeritus

Exactly. I'm starting to get a little cheesed off with Adobe. I love them for providing the tools for me to do my job but they also annoy me in so many ways... this being yet another.

17. macrumors member

There is always "Paint Shop Pro" or "Gimp" for people that don't like how Adobe operate. :rolleyes: :D

To be fair to Adobe, they really don't have to release beta testing to anyone, so I think it is hard to get annoyed when they limit it to only the CS2 crowd (not that this is to be taken for fact. of course. It is just a rumour).

I think they have been more than fair to users, Mac users especially, With this and Photoshop Lightroom being released for free beta testing.

18. macrumors member

bleachthru

I completly agree, Those of us who have waited through CS2 are more likey to upgrade to CS3 when it arrives, unless of course you are of the intel userbase. Seems Adobe is forgetting this demographic.

19. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

this is cool, hope it's true. As long as they put some kind of safe guard in place so that work your creating in CS3 will still be usable in CS2 after the beta expires then I say go with it :)

For the argument that you wouldn't trust critical work to a beta, remember that you can have multiple copies of photoshop installed on the same machine (EG CS1 and CS2 at the same time) so unless something goes horrible wrong you should be OK.

20. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I wonder if they will offer betas of individual programs to owners of individual applicatons? For example, I own Photoshop, but not the entire Creative Suite.

21. macrumors 68000

Bern

So this gives them what another 6 months of screwing around before we can get something solid? If they do release a Beta it's probably just to keep the crowd banging at Adobe's door at bay for a while.

And to think when Steve announced the Intel Macs Adobe asked what took so long. :rolleyes:

22. macrumors member

Do you really think it is about Adobe not being bothered to get this out, or sitting around drinking beers when they could be getting the release out?

This isn't a tiny little thing to do, it is a monster. They will get it out, just as soon as they can, I'm sure.

23. macrumors 68030

princealfie

I know... however to offer Lightroom for free to everyone seems like a clock-tease while not allowing CS3 to everyone would be hard to get mac switchers. There are many who held off for the 3rd incarnation since is now universal.

24. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Not Fair To Creative Suite 1 Owners

What about those of us who skipped CS2 knowing CS3 would have the Native Intel Support? Seems not fair to those of us who chose to skip CS2 since CS1 does fine for me on the Quad G5. :(

25. macrumors member

Did we know about the intel transition by then?

I guess Adobe feel that they should reward the loyal that upgraded to CS2.