Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Does Apple do public betas of any operating systems like Microsoft does?

Will there be a Leopard public preview availible to download at any time? I assume no because we are now so close to its release, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
No, only developers can get the 'Developer preview' apple never releases it to the public, which i think is a good idea, but you'll have to wait until march apparently. but stay tuned on January 9th as his stevieness should show us some of those 'top secret' features

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Apple released a public beta of the original OS X. Many will argue that they then released a second public beta that called Cheetah that they charged people for. Fortunately they rectified this with the free upgrade to Puma about six months later.

That's the last time they had a public beta for an OS.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I installed the Public Beta on my G3 the other day, just for the fun of it. It was horrible :p

Then I installed Jaguar. It was horrible too and I can't believe I actually used to use it as my primary OS! :eek:

It's funny how a perfectly good OS will become unusable once you've had something better.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
public beta only necessary for a software either with massive marketshare, or with the intention of expanding its marketshare, otherwise, the useful feedbacks can be get from public testing would be too small, and not worth the trouble anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.