Public vrs Private, Name vrs, no Name

Discussion in 'Community' started by diorio, Dec 21, 2002.

1. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    I have been in recent arguments stating that paying much more for a private/name school will in life yield millions more dollars in life than attending a local university/public school. I want to hear the experiences of people with college educations in finding a job after graduation. Do you feel you would have made more in attending a private/name college? Or do you feel as if you wasted your money at the private/name college? Please, no comments such as "of course going to private school is better, you don't have a feel for this stuff do you? You're wrong" please provide the link, provide the facts.
  2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Google MBA First Year Salaries link 2:

Now, note that "name" schools are high on the list, and noname schools are absent.

Note also, that there are very few public institutions on the list, and those that are there are of the "name" variety.

You are not going to make friends with Gettys, Rokefellers, etc. in the Univ. of Podunk's MBA program, and having access & contacts in this realm is more important in business than having knowledge.

Of course, these are AVERAGES and do not preclude anything. Furthermore, these are for business management salaries, and do not account for .com millionaires, artists, actors, writers, etc. You can crawl your way from any position to any other position if you are intelligent, but a "named" MBA takes a lot of the grunt work out of the equation.
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I this list are several state schools, are you considering them private? I'd think they'd be more public - the only 'name' associated to them would be the prestige assigned due to quality of their graduates.

4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    diorio, are you planning to go to business school or graduate business school?

a good book is "the mba advantage" by yeaple

i was an hr officer for the government in defense and i will gladly look over your application for college or graduate school and check out your resume and help you with what different recruiters are looking for

i have done this before for krossfyter, backtothemac, mcrain, and many others

just pm me if you want...i am more than willing to help and am not interested in taking your side or nipsy's side in this particular thread...i did that in the other thread

and remember, college and mba schools aside...bill gates, paul allen, woz at the time of apple, steve jobs, mike dell, larry ellison, shawn fanning, and some of the founders of sun did well without even a bachelor's degree

woz got his degree and teaching credential later and went into teaching for some years...but not to make money per se;)
  5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    university of michigan (at #11) is the first entry of a public school in the elite list of 25 from this link

only 5 others are public and weighed on the lower end of the list way

but it's there in the numbers...other lists will show similar results

that being said, being in the top five to seven or so is super, and being anywhere on the 25 list is much better than being way down on the "list" of over 700 programs nationwide

if someone can't get into the top 25, but still want to go to a decent graduate business school, try getting into one of the top 100 from the top of the line peterson's/gourman list

and by all means, avoid a graduate business program that is not accredited by the six regional accrediting bodies (like the state university in my town which is still starting and has yet to get all the paperwork to be a recognized institution for higher learning...the process is in its ninth year and will take fifteen total to get buildings, students, facilities, faculty, and academic level up to par)