Publishing iCal to anything but .Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jared_kipe, Jan 5, 2006.

1. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I've been trying forever to upload my ical's to an ftp server I have. There is an option to change from .mac to "private server". So I put in my ftp address and name and password. It says it did it. But no matter how I try to access the file, via ftp or http, ical says its invalid. And via an ftp program it says the file is "empty". Reporting 0k filesize. It appears that ical is not actually publishing jack squat to the server. Does anyone know how to actually use this feature in ical?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I usually just export the desired calendar as an .ics file, upload that to my webpage and link to it with using the webcal protocol (but you should be able to use http of ftp, but then I don't think it will be automatically subscribed to by iCal). Like this: webcal://www.geek.no/_ical/Ukenumre.ics

3. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Thats an interesting protocol, but didn't help. Actually, it is supposed to be able to automatically update to an ftp server. The automatic updateing is a must.

What I don't get is why they include the private server thing, when the function is so obviously broken.

4. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I could be wrong, but doesn't automatic updating require a web server that has WebDAV installed on it?

Here's an article that has some more info.

Not sure if that helps you any...

5. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I was actually about to post that I think that WebDAV is my problem. Thanks.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I never said anything about automatically updating the calendar. For that you need .Mac or a WebDAV enabled server.

I'm doing this manually. (Export from iCal. Upload to my regular server. Make link from my website). :)

7. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I know. My schedules change so freaking fast that that would require too much time from me. I think anyway. Thanks though.

8. jared_kipe thread starter macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

YAY after a long time of configuration, I have successfully gotten phpicalendar to work with my server. Not only does it let ical "publish" to my server by tricking it into thinking it is a webdav server, it also lets you view them online easily.

phpicalendar.net

Apple should really really allow you to upload stuff to a normal FTP server though. NOBODY uses WebDAV apple, get over it.

9. croshtique macrumors 6502

This macosxhint tells how to use Automator workflow to re-upload the iCal file to a regular server whenever you want.

10. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

that's what Automator is for! you can easily make a workflow that will upload your changed calendar to your server via FTP with a single click.

*EDIT: oops, didn't see the post directly above mine.