Publishing multiple iWeb sites

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacsomJRR, Apr 24, 2006.

1. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

OK so I've read some different things online about how to publish multiple sites to a single .Mac account but is there a simple way to publish multiple sites to different domains? I've published my sites to an external folder but I'm having trouble getting the index.html file to work properly. How do I create multiple indexes?

Does this make any sense? Sorry if this has been posted on elsewhere but I guess I'm too newb when it comes to web stuff to find it. I really enjoy working with iWeb (it's sooo easy!) and I'd hate to have to go back to GoLive CS (far too complicated for the stuff I need to do).

EDIT: Forget to say thanks for giving this a read:)

2. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

mods please delete...

i figured this out thanks!

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Don't delete just yet... Can you explain it to me first? I've been curious about this.

4. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

OK I'll try:) Hopefully this works for you too...

1. Make the sites using iWeb (I have two).
    2. Create a folder on your desktop (or where you would like it to be) and name it something like "Web Sites"
    3. In iWeb choose File - Publish to a Folder and when prompted select the Web Sites folder that you just made.
    4. Download an FTP client like Fetch.
    5. Upload all of the files in the folder you want for the site that you want. You may have to rename the main page "index.html"
    6. Presto - all finished

Now everytime you "publish" your site make sure to publish to the same folder and then upload the changes.

There is probably a much easier way to do all this but this works for me right now:D

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When I publish two sites to a folder I see three things; an index.html file, a folder for one site, and a folder for the other.

How do you get the second index.html file to show up? I've noticed you can find the index file for the second site in the folder for the second site, but I'm afraid if I move it it will mess something up.

...or am I misunderstanding something?

6. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

What I did was change my main page for the second site (let's say it was originally called "welcome.html") to index.html and then I uploaded each file in the second sites folder but NOT the actual folder. This worked for me.

7. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Oh and I erased the original index.html file that you see with the two folders.