puck mice

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jtgotsjets, Sep 25, 2004.

1. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

alright, i just got my dad his iMac, and have it all set up.

one problem, i can't get the mouse open to clean it (its the original puck style mouse). is there some special trick to open it, or is mine just stuck?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Turn the plate on the back to the left.

Or better yet, ditch it and replace it with a 2+-button mouse. Those puck mice sucked. They sometimes proved to be hard to use when they weren't aligned "north-south".

3. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Still using ball mouse? Damn. Spend a few bucks and get a USB optical mouse.

4. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

If you love your father, you'll get him a different mouse. They're absolutely brutal to use with any frequency.

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well of course he loves his father...he got him a Mac, didn't he?
    Of course, if he loved him more, he'd have gotten him a dual G5 :)

and yes, replace that damned hockey puck POS mouse...anything is better.

6. jtgotsjets thread starter macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

well, i still cant get the damn thing open, and the performance was pretty bad since i couldn't clean it, so i got him a pro mouse (he's still learning about computers, and more than one button is too complicated, as bad as that sounds).

now i've got all the time in the world to get this confounded contraption open, clean it, and maybe hang it on my wall, heh

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Oh how sweet the pro mouse is. I really really really like the feel and looks of that mouse, a pity it doesn't have two buttons and a scroll wheel.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I agree with your decision to replace the mouse, I used a puck for many months, it made everything so much harder. I know it's a bit late to answer, but on those style mice, the ball could be locked in (for schools)... Somewhere there's a tiny hole, I believe you need to insert a paperclip while turning. Once it's unlocked, it's good until you lock it by closing with a paperclip, the same way. It was ingenious, except: 1. the mice sucked, 2. students do have access to paperclips now (I know, it's scary), and 3. teachers didn't know about the feature to use it.

paul