Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davede70

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I teach a film class and I need to be able to pull a 2-3 minute scene off a DVD and show it to my class. I need to be able to set that marks that it rips in order to get the exact starting and stopping points I need. So something like handbrake that rips by chapter won't help.

Last semester when I did this on my PC I used dvd shrink and then edited together the different scenes and reburned them onto a disk. Now I just want to pull them off and show them through the digital projector on my Macbook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Well you can rip the Video_TS to the hard drive using a piece of software called MacTheRipper. Then you can take that and export it as one single file using Popcorn or other software, and use editing software to go from there. Does this help?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Handbrake is fine since you're editing it afterwards anyway. I don't understand the point of the MactheRipper method if you've got to convert it, then export it, then edit it.

I suppose you could instead play the DVD through VLC and use SnapzPro to just video capture the exact parts of the video you want.

But I think handbake is your best bet.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
may I also point out that I believe you can mark things in DVD Player? My memory is fuzzy on this, but if that's the case, you could just play the actual DVD and jump to your own preset markers.

iJUNKY

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
Belfast, Ireland
cool idea, i study film and through the years i wish some of my lecturers had done the same; it makes sense to be able to analyse a scene (or sequence of shots) without having to mess about with the DVD.

I would use Cinematize. It costs like about £30 / $60. and it isn't perfect; it's only downside is that its slow, but I've never had a dud conversion.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: it does exactly what you want: you can pin point exactly when to start and stop. So if you only want a few minutes it shouldn't take too long.

OR

You could use Hand brake: convert the whole film to mpeg, and use Quicktime pro to slice out the section you want.

let us know what you decide

davede70

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Thanks for your help. I am going to check the bank account about that Cinematize.

I've been trying something this week and I am running into a problem.

When I using Handbrake and go from a DVD to an .avi, I am getting rainbow like lines on the clip.

I need the best quality clip I can get. I am ripping them at 100% constant quality. Am I doing the wrong thing?

Rather then burning them back on a DVD I'd rather just play them on Quicktime on my MacBook with it hooked up to a projector.

I should add that I am looking for something that I need clips from a variety of different dvds. So I need a clip from MASH that shows good movement and a clip from Office Space that shows sound, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.