Pulling hair out over printer!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacFan26, Sep 19, 2005.

1. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Okay, I have a new HP Deskjet 3745. I can't get it to work with my Airport Express. My Express recognizes it, I have the print queue set up, and when I print something it just says "opening printer connection" for 5 seconds, and then stops the jobs and does nothing. The printer works fine when connected directly, but freakin-A, this is the second printer I've had that doesn't work with the costly Express, and I'm expecting USB printers that are compatible with OS X to work on it. Anyone have a solution to this? Please help! Thanks.
  2. neocell macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    "PC Load Letter WTF!!!!!"
    Oh man that makes me laugh. Sorry for your pain though, I should really be more sympathetic. Have you turned printer sharing on (System Prefs > Sharing)? For some reason this got our HP at work to work with the WiFi.

Michael Bolton thanks to Sun Baked

Attached Files:

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I had a HORRRRIIIIBBBLLLEEEE Time making ANYTHING HP work with AirPort Express.

I gave up, waited until a Canon ip3000 went on sale and got one!

The cartridges are also FREAKING EASY to fill up! there aren't any little chips to reset or anything!

so, if it's making you THAT angry, just get a Canon. :)

**is there a Mac driver you might need for it? *shrug*
  4. dae5dia macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2005
    Salem, OR
    I was just trying to get a HP deskjet 6840 to work on my mac. Apparently, it has to do with the drivers in OS X. If you go to your printer setup utility, you can check the driver version number that is displayed after the "show info" button is pressed. For mine to work, it had to be driver version 2.7.1 or something, and it was 2.6. All i had to do was use the OS X tiger cd.

First step is to remove the drivers in the hp folder by dropping them into the trash. Next, open the cd folders and click on "optional installs" or something like that. i can't remember the exact phrase. Anyway, just when it comes up, agree to the terms, etc. and then ONLY SELECT the hp printer drivers. install them, and it should work.

I'm not sure if that's the same issue, but, it solved my problems at least.
  5. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2005
    New Jersey
    i wasnt planning on posting a useless comment, but when i first saw the title to the thread i said to myself i bet its an HP, and wouldnt ya know. haha. sorry though, ya should get a canon next time ;)