Pulling Photos off iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Indohottie, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

So I am dumb.. I forgot to backup some pics, and I dont have them anymore.

What I need to do is pull the photos off of my ipod... any experiences with good programs for this job?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I believe you should be able to navigate to the appropriate folder when the iPod is connected. Also, you might have chosen to upload full-res versions to the iPod from within iTunes, and these full versions are certainly accessible.

3. Indohottie thread starter macrumors 6502

Indohottie

navigate in itunes or finder??

I reformated my computer .. so the ipod is not linked to my itunes library.. I dont need the songs (got those backed up) but not the pictures..

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

5. Indohottie thread starter macrumors 6502

Indohottie

when I look at the photo folder all I see is an unopenable file.. but on the actual ipod I can the pictures..

Frank

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Ahh, right. Well, if it was music you were trying to get off, I'd recommend Senuti. Any ideas if that works for photos now too?

Also, in the future you may wish to have iTunes upload a full-res version to your iPod, which you can more easily download again.

7. Indohottie thread starter macrumors 6502

Indohottie

thanks.. but couldnt get either script to work in terminal.. Senuti doesnt work on photos..

8. Indohottie thread starter macrumors 6502

Indohottie

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

When you connect your iPod, make sure you don't let iTunes to start. Then you can use Terminal to reach your files, but I don't know how familiar you are with UNIX commands. (All you need in this case is probably "cd" for navigating through directories, "cp" to copy files and "ls -a" for listing all of the files, hidden or otherwise.)

Most, if not all, of the files in your iPod is in hidden folders, that's probably why you cannot view them on your Finder. You can also try to tell Finder to display hidden files and folders. That might be good enough to let you view and copy those files. If not, back to Terminal.