Pulsating keyboard illumination

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n8236, Oct 16, 2006.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

I just got my replacement keyboard for the mbp back Yesterday, and by Yesterday night I found a problem w/ the keyboard illumination. When in dark light, the illumination pulsates on and off, on and off. I tried resetting the PMU and PRAM w/o success.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it does this? I want to be able to fix this if possible w/o bringing it back into the store :(

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Is there any chance that you are increasing and decreasing the light exposure to the sensor, causing it to brighten and dim?

4. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

No, i tried it a dark isolated area and it still pulsates. :(

When it is pulsating and I try to adjust the brightness via F9/F10, those settigs keep changing by itself too.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like they mixed up some connections linking the keyboard light and the pulsing light near the screen release. Is it that type of pulsing? Does the light on your screen release still pulse?

If they switched those wires, that would be unbelievably stupid of the tech who did the repair.

I bet it looks kind of cool though....show your friends!

6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Is your MBP just sitting there with no one moving around it? If I'm in a dim room and people walk by the light, or I move my hands on the keyboard, I sometimes cause the ambient light to change and so my screen and keyboard brightness fluctuate. I'm not sure if this is the same issue you are talking about though.

7. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

8. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Yikes! That's totally crazy. Can't say I've seen that before.

9. l4t13 macrumors regular

lmao "it's like a disco"

too bad you arent a dj.

im not sure man, id say call apple. sucks to have to send it in again, id be sure to get some free goodies for your wait.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Wow that's really strange- Id call Apple about that one.

11. Uberglitch macrumors newbie

Uberglitch

you know whats funny...

I actually found this thread cause I was looking for a hack to do something like this. Maybe a little slower... and of course, under my control would be nice... but I think it looks cool! :p

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I know this is probably a dumb question, but have you tried using something opaque on both sensors? the white envelope will still provide enough light for the sensor to react.

Is your screen set to react to ambient light also? Is there any effect on keyboard if the screen is dimmed completely (with sensors uncovered, obviously)?

Very odd, tho.

13. freestyleguy128 macrumors regular

Is there any way tp manually override the sensors and control the keyboards brightness yourself?

14. cesarvargas55 macrumors newbie

15. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hahahaha, i knew some of you would find that amusing. They had to replace my mobo and that was the end of that problem. I know there's a program that will pulsate the illumination relative to the beat of your iTunes music. It's pretty cool looking, but that's about it. hehe